Official BF Editor Forums
DYE_Slayer

Bots Wont Move Vehicles

When i play in my custom maps, bots wont move the cars :( . They wont drive at all. However, this for some reason does not apply to the APCs. Whats wrong?

I have water in the middle of the map, if that helps. Also bots on foot DO move, but some run into a building and dont go around it :P

Anyways, does anyone have an idea of whats wrong?

There's another possible reason:

Probably you never adjusted the order positions in your strategic areas. The order positions are initially set to the location of the flagpole and this is not a valid spot on the navmesh (its cut out).

Shift the order postions for both vehicle and infantry to a valid postion within the CP radius, but on the navmesh.

If the target order position is not valid , the bots won't move there.

The vehicles are now on the navmesh, and they get in the vehicle, but they dont move it. How do i fix this?

EDIT: I saw the tank move ONCE, but that was it. all other vehicles besides apcs dont move.

ok NOW they work. Thanks for the help.

Edited by DYE_Slayer

The vehicles are now on the navmesh, and they get in the vehicle, but they dont move it. How do i fix this?

EDIT: I saw the tank move ONCE, but that was it. all other vehicles besides apcs dont move.

ok NOW they work. Thanks for the help.

What did you do to get it working - was it what mshoeldgen suggested?

Edited by [BG2]Panzaman

ok, this topic is from 2007 i know, still I have the same problem (since it was never really solved)

apcs move just fine, boats and helicpoters do too.

Now for the other vehicles (tanks, buggy) its was just as DYE_Slayer said it, they dont move.

- they are on the navemesh for sure (there are five tanks just sitting in the middle of a beach.....)

- the order poistions arent in the place where the flag is (-> hole)

- temperature is up between 0 and 100

Also, for my bots on foot they do a good job going to their first flag (fairly at least) but after that most of them seem a little tired (standing around, waiting for an enemy to get in shooting range). Is there any medicine that you guys could remcomend?

I dont have the problem with bots running into buildings, mine run into tanks. It looks like they want to get in just dont know why because they are really stubborn about standing in front of it.

Any ideas?

The bots don't use the vehicles when the way costs are too high for them, meaning its either impossible to reach the next CP with a vehicle or the navmesh is too narrow for the vehicle, provided you have set the orderpositions to valid places on the navmesh.

Check your navmesh for gaps in bridges or other obstacles and see if the vehicle navmesh renders green in the editor. If it shows in black you probably have flipped normals on it or an inverted Combat Area.

Note that waypoints are not very helpful if no vehicles are moved but the orderpositions should be on the navmesh in all 3 dimensions . So have a look at the height over ground for those and just leave them a few centimeters above ground.

Edited by mschoeldgen[Xww2]

The problems you mentioned in the first and second paragraph, they would apply to APCs too right? They (APCs) move fine, go to all positions (flags) on the map and are basically always on the move. Only all the other (buggy, heavy tank) arent beein used at all, more ignored it seems to me.

Seeing as buggys are thinnern than the APC I think that there isnt a problem with the width of the navemsh (mines green :D ).

I've had that problem where the APCs werent able to reach their target but the bots at least got in and then just stood there...

what do you mean by "orderpositions should be on the navmesh in all 3 dimensions "?? (orderpositions are the circles by a flag right?)

Mine are just somewhere near the flag, I didnt have to adjust the height by any of them.

I'm not the expert that you are mschoeldgen :P but I doubt that there is something wrong with the navemesh or the order poistions, since I do have APCs which move just fine and all over the map. Just the bots on foot are a little reluctant to attack sometimes, but one thing after the other

Is there any one place which tells the bots which vehicles they can use and which the cant? I edited the bot behavior file a while ago to get the boats working... any chance that there is something wrong with that?

If its a mod you're working on, chances are that the AITemplates for the vehicles render them unattractive, with either a very low strategicValue or basicTemperature.

Sometimes bots also refuse a slow vehicle when they find it too easy to reach the next CP on foot. As the SAI takes a mass of variables into account there's not always an easy way to predict its actions. Have a look on SA temperatures and don't drive them too high as this might block other actions.

Another mistake is to give all SA's the same basic temperature as this often leads to undecided bots. Make them slightly different and give the center CP's a slightly higher value than the borders. ( centered CP's mostly have more neighbours than the ones on the edge of a map )

3D was only meant for the heigth. You're surly right that when moving the order pos. a few meters its not necessary to adjust the heigth.

so far so good, I think adjusting the SA did help make the bots a little more decisive, although they still behave a little odd, e.g. half of them wait outside an uncabable base while the other half stands next to the flag....

About the vehicles (all except the APCs), the bots still dont use them. I have tried ordering them to 'get in' but they dont respond to that at all. In comparison, when I did that with the APC they actually do get in.

What could cause a bot to avoid certain vehicles (all non landingcrafts and all none air vehicles possibly??)at all cost?

There is a big sea in the middle of my map seperating two islands and with two carriers between them. I have a strong feeling that it somehow has something to do with that, since they use all vehicles with which they can reach any point of the map, the rest they ignore.

Thanks for your help so far

EDIT: scratch that about beeing able to reach all points of the map, that would exclude boats which do move fine...

Edited by Maddoc

Hello, again. Im having the problem again on a new map. i made a base remotely from a city, and this time, bots wont move the jeeps (no other vehicle). Helicopters fly but they tend to hang around the base (not moving but in the air). I know its not the navmesh because I had it share the Infantry navmesh. Could it be that the neighbors point outside the combat area?

EDIT: When I take bots to the city to another flag, they start to walk back to base. Whats the reason?

Oh, fixed it again.

Edited by DYE_Slayer

I had the same problem with a new map I am making for a friend. This is what fixed it for me:

I had first made a Conquest_16 map, then I made a Single Player map using the same flag (CP) locations. When the flag names are identical in different layers, the Editor adds a _0 to the name. Well, when I creaed the Menu Map, the _0 showed up on the map as well. Example: Suburbs_0, Market_0

I did not want this, so I made up new names for the flags. Suburbs is now "Swimming_Pool", Market is now "Offices", etc. It appears that the Editor did not make the changes to the Strategic Areas folder in my Level, it kept the old flag names. See Picture Below:

jeepsnotmovingtz2.th.jpg

I had to open my level in the Editor, go to Single Player Editor, then click on each Strategic Area and select "Remove all Neighbors". I did this for every SA on the single player level. The "order positions" will be deleted also when the SA is deleted. When the neighboring is deleted, then I deleted each Strategic Area. I then created new Strategic Areas for each flag (CP) by clicking the "Place on All" button and the SA's were now correctly identified in the Editor. You can verify this by going into your maps folder in the Levels directory, open the Editor folder, then the AI folder, then the ai.ai file. Compare that to the "Gameplayobjects.con" file in your map.

Then you have to add the neighboring again between the SA's, and set the "order positions" again for each SA. That worked for me, and the bots now drive all of the vehicles again.

Remember, when you are adding the Neighboring between Strategic Areas, if you want a One-Way Neighbor, such as from a Home base to the first capturable flag, select the capturable flag's Strategic Area first so that it turns dark blue, then right-click on the Home base SA and select "Create One Way Neighbor". I found this phrase in the forums here a while ago, and it helps me remember, "My neighbor comes to me". ;)

Edited by stickman

Well thanks for the tip stickman, although I (well, the guys over that BF SP did :P ) already solved my problem

It turns out my invantry navemesh in the editor turned blue (something like that...) and so they told me to redo it, I did and voila, all vehicles are beeing used now.

However I still dont get how that fixed the problem, but it did

thanks guys

Good to hear , Maddoc.

For the other problem : The editor confuses 'ControlPointNames' and 'ControlPoint' designations and always makes them the same. But you can manually change the 'ControlPointName's back to what they were in the gameplayobjects.con and then they will show on the map in the name you want.

Good to hear , Maddoc.

For the other problem : The editor confuses 'ControlPointNames' and 'ControlPoint' designations and always makes them the same. But you can manually change the 'ControlPointName's back to what they were in the gameplayobjects.con and then they will show on the map in the name you want.

Thanks for that tip ms! Would I need to manually change both the Editor file and the Gamemodes folder files as well?

Changing it in the Editor/gameplayobjects.con is probably not necessary as the editor always reverts the 'ControlPointName' to the ControlPoint, bringing back the problem . So best only change the /gamemodes/ files when the map is finished, just before packing.