Official BF Editor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Zeus

Operation Irving 2006 Basic Screen Shots

Looked like the link worked so I'm going to post some more screens. The resolution on the screens is a little rough.. <_< I 'm still in the early stages but I wanted to get these out and maybe get some feedback. Good or bad. ;) . Need to add vegitation, undergrowth, roads, etc. I added a guard post at the entrance to the US Airstrip as I wanted to update the map a little. I tried to give the map the same feel as the BFV Irving map but knowing that this will take place some 39 years after the Vietnam War and the fact that I'm working with modern weaponry, I had to make do. :) The aircraft carrier is just off in the distance for a visual and I haven't decided yet if I'm going to leave it in. What do you think? Still a long way to go, not sure if I got the look of the sky right, placement of vehicles etc. I also thought about putting an airstrip for the Chinese behind the hill that has their artillery on it. Kind of hidden, maybe as a suprise attack on the US! It's a kick flying around blowing the bridge to bits. I think it will be a fun map if its recieved well. Ultimately I would like to do a single player too and eventually re-skin the cobras olive drab or camo. Unfortunately I'm anal, so the completion of the map may be a while until I feel I got everything right. I'll update often and will hopefullyu have a fly around video up this weekend if anyone is interested. If you want to get back in the mood for some old school vietnam, you can visit my site at www.graveyarddogsbfv.com. Thanks all

Operation Irving

Operation Irving

Operation Irving

Operation Irving

Operation Irving

Operation Irving

Operation Irving

Operation Irving

Operation Irving

Operation Irving in progress load screen

Deleted an inoperative link. I'll add some more screens as I can. Enjoy

Edited by Zeus

Try this - set your Fog color to R:178 G:188 B:200 [#b2bcc8] - and see if you like it. Dont save if you dont. On a very overcast day, water should reflect quite a bit of the sky color - so I'd go a little less green with it. Green is more often seen in the sunny carribean in clear water. One thing that will help your beaches is to think about wet sand versus dry sand ... different colors right. When youre almost done, pick a slightly different color on your sand brush, go to Color-Color mode and paint along the water's edge with a medium strength where youre tides might lie. Youre off to a great start though!

I was curious how to get the sandy beach look where the tide meets the land. Thanks for the tips Hawk. I'll give it a try.

A great start, man that brings back some memories.

Excellent work getting the statics in the right places, even the barrel drums and crates, awesome.

You just need to add the link bridge across the ravine, but I'm sure you know that and there prob isn't one in bf2??

Very good, but you could use a wood bridge instead of that one. I think its more look like to the original Irving bridge.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I appreciate it! Yeah, I've searched everywhere and couldn't find a bridge that I could use as a swing bridge for the revine. I realized I didn't throw up a real good overview screen of the US base so Ill post one a little bit later. Right now I'm trying to figure out why my editor is crashing when I try to use the overgrowth/undergrowth tool. :angry: Just started last night, so I may have to save the map files and reinstall if I cant get it working today. 1/2 Hawks recommendation on changing the fog color was dead on! The original Irving Map is not really overcast, I was just screwing around with the sky settings but I kind of like it. Still a long ways to go though.. may change it before the final :wacko:

Can you get a screenie of the link bridge on bfv and i'll knock it up for you in max and maybe one of the other guys can skin it.

Can you get a screenie of the link bridge on bfv and i'll knock it up for you in max and maybe one of the other guys can skin it.

That would be great Ells! I'd appreciate the hell out of that. Been racking my brain trying to figure out what to put there in its place. I'll post it up for you first thing in the morning...2am here :lol: been working on the map almost all day and need some zzzzzzzz so I can get up and do it all over again. :) I decided to give the Chinese side a fighter. I put it in a hangar next to the temple (on the hill) and concealed the hangar with trees etc. Looks pretty good I think, even's the teams out a bit too. I'll post some picks of that also...let me know what you think

Cool, I won't be online until Tuesday morning, but I'll do some stuff then.

I like the idea of the chinese fighter, seeing as their isn't Sam's in bf2, that was always the threat for me on bfv flying the fighter. Keeping the hanger hidden is a good idea too, maybe don't have a runway, just a flat strip of grass and use the hill to take off, I.e. make the runway as short as possible and use gravity and the curve of the hill to take off from, if you know what I mean.

Absolutely, under no circumstances, should you provide the Asian team with airpower. That completely destroys everything that made Irving both difficult and great.

The unbalanced, lop-sided match-ups in BFV are what made that game so goddamn rewarding. I highly encourage any and all who recreate BFV's magic to keep it the way it was as much as you can because that's what made it so fun.

You'll destroy the situation where the Asians have to sneak to the American side. When they used to get ahold of the Phantom, it was because the US wasn't paying close enough attention and it would really turn the tables on the US when that happened. If they always had airpower, even being just one jet, that dynamic is lost because now they can just keep flying to the US base over and over and now they can do it right from teh beginning and the start of the Irving rounds was where it ALL was decided.

Naturally, this is only my opinion, but I am a huge fan of Irving and BFV and that's my stance as such.

LOL....point taken Junk, I'll see what I can do! ;) I'm a major BFV fan as well and understand your point. I was looking at it from the stand point of Irving in 2006...what would be learned and what would be different if it were to be a battle all over again. But your right, the whole fun of the map was trying to get the US base. The ground fighting too. Nothing worse then a map where everyone is flying around. Beleive me, I'm trying to keep it as close to the original as possible. As for the trees Sir Tasty, I'm still in the rough stages of the map. I'm not even close to being finished. Hell, I've re textured, moved objects, vehicles etc since I've posted the first screens. I'm trying to do some side by side comparisoins with the original BFV Irving for vegetation likeness, vehicle placement etc and that takes some time. Plus I don't want to put out a rushed, half ass looking map that no one will want to play. I just wanted to get some screens up so I could get some feedback, and see if anyone would even be interested in playing the map! There will be plenty of trees when I'm done... ;)

Some suggetions:

- give the us the possibility of dropping a tank, no drop for the chinas (commander ability)

- put more buildings in the "school" flag, so you would have a small village (like 6 or 7 houses)

- no uav and no scan for bouth sides (commander ability)

And show us a screen of the minimap so far. ;)