Official BF Editor Forums
Abort

Help Creating A Soldier Dummy/scarecrow

I would like to know how could I use an existing BF2 player Model and make it a destroyable object to use in multiplayer maps. It must have a respawn and be able to be to killed. It does not have to move, it can just stand there. I'm thinking like adding a bot to the map but it wont have AI. it will be brain dead. how hard would this be? I have max 7, and I havent used it in a while. But I am willing to learn how to use it again. (I started to make a beretta 9000 by a video tutorial and i never finished it :/ )

Well, you could create an object that completely restricts a bot's movement and he won't be able to go anywhere. The object can be invisible and in the same location as a bot-spawn. Otherwise, you need to alter the navmesh on the map so the bots don't have anywhere to go. Both of those options won't stop them from shooting and they'll probably be running in-place or otherwise acting erratically.

If you want static corpses, you need to import the soldier model, import the skeleton, rig the model to the skeleton, pose the model and then export as a static, all the while praying the textures would of worked. That way, you can have it explode into guts. Those who have already built and implemented their own custom player models have a rather large leg-up on that procedure indeed, should they be so inclined as to do so.

I really like bloody corpses everywhere and having them there from the beginning. I even appreciate it when game designers try to show it. It reminds me of Splatterhouse, the first and only video game in my whole life where I walked up to it for the first time, put in ONE quarter and beat the entire game. I died once on the transforming, laughing biatch and once to the maggot-boss on the first stage. This was AT the arcade, not the TGFX's sucky censored version.

I would rather have a static person, versus a bot that is mentally retarded and confined in an invisible box. I read up on that importing player model and the skeleton thing. I can do it, it will prlly take me forever though. I was wondering what programs do I use to do all of that? from importing the model, to adding the bones, and then exporting? Do I use the bf editor object editor or something like max?

and another thing, i found another post like mine. Except they use python.

http://bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?showt...hl=python+model

Thats exactly what i want to do. just ahve the guys stand there, but they take damage and fly up in the air. Hes knid of vauge on the python part. Can anyone point me in the direction to set up python and get this going? Thanks

I think the basic trouble is to try to spawn a 'Soldier' Object. I'd try to setup a skinned static like the flag, but using the soldier mesh (and probably the soldiercollision) . Assing the standard '3P_setup.ske' skeleton to it and it could work. The basic trouble with that is that an eventual idle animation might not work in network (at least thats my current problem with special antennas), but its worth a try.

Anything you just said was German to me. lol. I need a step-by-step tutorial. I understand what to do. I just need to know How to do it.

Clone '.con' and '.tweak' from a flag. rename the files to the desired object name, like 'scarecrow.con' and 'scarecrow.tweak'and put them into the folder below the 'meshes' folder containing the soldiermesh. This would be /objects/soldiers/mec/ if you use the mec soldier.

Open the files with a texteditor and change the references to the flag geometry to the desired soldier mesh, like 'mec_light_soldier' . Change the skeleton line to use the soldier skeleton instead of the flag skeleton. ( the soldier skeleton is in /objects/soldiers/common/animations/3p_setup.ske ) Change all appearances of the old object name ( the flag) to read 'scarecrow'

Save files and launch the editor. Have a look at the new object. You'd place them in a map like statics.

No warranty here but it should work :P

Coming to think of it it might perhaps show the 1P of the soldier ? Give it a try.

Here's some german for you : Und Gott sprach 'Es werde Licht, doch er fand den Schalter nicht :P

Edited by mschoeldgen[Xww2]

Clone '.con' and '.tweak' from a flag. rename the files to the desired object name, like 'scarecrow.con' and 'scarecrow.tweak'and put them into the folder below the 'meshes' folder containing the soldiermesh. This would be /objects/soldiers/mec/ if you use the mec soldier.

Open the files with a texteditor and change the references to the flag geometry to the desired soldier mesh, like 'mec_light_soldier' . Change the skeleton line to use the soldier skeleton instead of the flag skeleton. ( the soldier skeleton is in /objects/soldiers/common/animations/3p_setup.ske ) Change all appearances of the old object name ( the flag) to read 'scarecrow'

Hey im new here so srry for reviveing an old post but would this also work instead of useing the flag .con and .tweak you use one of the destructable signs .con and . tweak? Then you could have the soldier die and in the GamePlayObjects.con file you set it as a respawn. Would that work?

The basic problem with that is that the soldier geometry doesn't supply a wreck model. For the players its done via ragdoll physics but this is limited to the players and won't work on destroyables or other statics/PCO's.

So you'd probably need a 'Soldier Particle' to mimic a falling soldier and then a wreck geometry to show the soldier after death.

The basic problem with that is that the soldier geometry doesn't supply a wreck model. For the players its done via ragdoll physics but this is limited to the players and won't work on destroyables or other statics/PCO's.

So you'd probably need a 'Soldier Particle' to mimic a falling soldier and then a wreck geometry to show the soldier after death.

Hmmmm couldn't it be just done by haveing the soldier die but not have the rag doll effects/destroyed effects and just keep standing there but it registers that you've kill him and then respawns straight away.