Official BF Editor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sacre

My Nuclear Weapon

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oiAxl31fJ_o

Video Showing my nuke

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-86...64&hl=en-CA

shorter version.

What more effects does it need? I want to add the flashbang effect to it so it blinds you temporarily. The reason it isn't that big is because it is a Tactical nuke, meant to destroy a small radius, a certain area.

It drops from artillery.

What else do you think I should add to sweeten this baby up?

It's pretty good right now, but I think it could use a bit of filling out and a better termination where the column doesn't separate upwards.

I started this a long time ago and came up with a few ideas for really making a big ass nuke go off. My goal was size over everything else. This is where I ended up before I started something else. The timing is still pretty slow. Mine is almost the polar opposite of yours in that mine is almost entirely by geometry. If you were to take your concept and combine it with mine, or vice-versa, it'd turn out to be one wicked ass effect, trust me. I have yet to really even start with the particles, I just spent my time getting the timing of about 6 separate mesh-emitters to remain together in the proper form.

BFA Early Nuke First try

BFA Early Nuke Wip

This one is better since I added a few more elements, but I took a pretty crappy angle vid of it.

Wow man, thats awesome! I love the Cloud itself and how it rises, very good design. Mixing these effects together actually may make an excellent nuke.

I love the second video with the dirt being spit up from the ground, then once the dirt settles the nuke is up high.

Nice man, nice.

What I would do with that dirt that spits up, is when it spits up, make it move outward just a little bit as it falls, like a wave. Then after it falls, leave some dark dust or something on the ground from all the dirt that was kicked up and whatnot!

You're nuke is a lot better then mine, lmao, thats for sure. The color, the physics, the shape is just perfect.

Edited by Sacre

Trust me, using meshes is why it's a good shape. It makes it pretty easy, though I did have to do some pretty heavy experimenting to get the right combination of shapes. However, now I know what works and what doesn't. The churning inside of the shape was also simple to reproduce as I had added noise to the objects and then just placed 2 in one spot and spun them at different speeds. It gives off a little sense of cheapness when you see sharp lines running through it, which is why I plan to haze the whole thing out by implementing something like what you've got, which I really like. Trust me when I say that your effect is much harder to achieve and is more impressive due to its use of particles. If you want to collaborate on a perfect effect, PM me and let's work on it together some. I will provide you all that is needed to get you up to speed on adding geometry to yours and you can help me get some particles on mine.

The main problem with using meshes is that if the player is not killed and then ventures inside of the expanding geometry, it basically disappears. I would have to double the geometry count to compensate for that with 2-sided faces and even then you'd still be inside a ginat hollow chamber. That's why it's imperitive that my version be filled by particles, whereas I feel yours can stand alone and is more versatile.

Ah I see

Well, you should keep working on that file, release it as a mod. I'm sure people would love it. I myself love it.

Problem with mine is that a Lot of particles are used, so when the Nuke goes off, other explosions begin to miss some particles for the time the nuke is up. Also, if 2 nukes are dropped, one will have all particles and the other will just show up as a few black puffs of smoke lol.

Anywho, did you ever try that nuke ingame? I bet that would be quite some effect with the dirt flying upwards.

What would also be a nice effect is a "flashbang" effect. If you are looking in the direction of the nuke when it goes off, it temporarily blinds you.

Well, you should continue to work on that. It has great potential.

The particle limit is definitely the main reason I felt it a requirement to use geometries, because again my number one requirement was a realistic size, but I had always planned to also fill it out with particles to cover the draw-ordering issues and whatnot. Also, using geometries gives a terrible end to the effect as it's really difficult to get somethign to fade out and look right when there's multiple shapes overlapping. My fix was to drop it almost instantly, I can't think of anything else except to also include a secondary nuke effect that's built of particles that covers it before the geometry goes away. So the initial phase will be just as it is, without many more particles, but then it will take over as a completley particle generated effect. The key, for me, is that each particle is going to have to cover a lot of the volume, meaning it's going to have to be big and have a distinctive texture, not just a smoke puff that needs hundreds to fill in. You may want to also explore that option, Sacre, especially if you're hitting the particle limit. I can tell right away that you're at a heavy usage, just on the ground turbulance alone. Perhaps that's a good place to try and trim. Lower your frequency and each time up the size of each particle until you get a balance. Yours is visually appealling, but if you're allowing it to last on-screen without people all over dying and still being able to cause more effects, you'll definitely run out and other effects will drop particles for sure. You may also want to consider the overall effect lasting a lot less time. I know a nuke cloud lasts 10's of minutes in reality, we can't show that though. Mine is timed right now to be 30 seconds or so and I hope that saves the day on lag. Also, our mod may take a different approach to the nuke altogether and make it a wildly spectacular event that is just exactly that, an event. Meaning, the nuke goes off and that means somebody lost and the round is over. I'll probably have to explore a tactical nuke version that's smaller for during-play.

yea, i worked on a mushroom cloud for the scud a while back. looked a lot like the clouds for satnav's and sacre's. problem is (like sat mentioned) is that it must hit flat ground or its turned sideways and looks retarded. if you use the code to NOT use collision normals, then the axis seem to be invalid/zero and the radial emitters dont work right

Edited by kiff

Should make it look like this :P

Shouldn't be too hard ;)

Man I love that engine, this vid looks awesome

That and Alan Wake's tornado effect just show me one thing. First, that...wait, there's no first, middle or last with just one thing. I shows me we're only going to see the workload increase as time goes on and technology improves. It used to be you could make a rundown house in a single evening. Now you've got to build it to come completely apart and spend time separately exporting everything. Ok, I'm assuming scripts will be implemented to create a destruction bundle because doing that to everything is gonna be nuts, not tits.

If you haven't seen it, I HIGHLY encourage you to watch the Alan Wake videos. It makes my Next-Genitalia throb with anticipation.

Also, I don't think we're getting away with skipping the idea of a separate Physx card. While I like the concept of mass power towards it, I feel it's so new and vague at this point that I can't really even begin to mentally prepare for what's coming and what it means I will have to learn how to do. Damn, it's getting complicated.

What this video is, is a Nuke detonating in the Air. I finally got the Artillery to detonate above ground so I can have max damage. Problem was that the particles etc didnt extend out, they stayed in 1 spot creating a bubble of mixed textures. So, I got rid of a good % of my particles and just let it go as a Bubble. Thermal nuclear bombs when detonated high up form into a giant bright bubble.

Anywho, still needs a lot of work but here is a quick video of the progress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aZzpOO3jX0

I'm just happy I got the artillery detonating above ground... Now yall can't hide behind buildings >: )

Problem was that the particles etc didnt extend out, they stayed in 1 spot creating a bubble of mixed textures.

add ObjectTemplate.detonation.effectRotation 0/1/0 to the DefaultDetonationComp to make the effect play properly when exploding in air.

add ObjectTemplate.detonation.effectRotation 0/1/0 to the DefaultDetonationComp to make the effect play properly when exploding in air.

Wow SatNav, thanks man, you're a great help!

Now the new issue I'm having.

I tried out the code for the "flashbang" effect, and i added it to my Artillery shell, problem is though is that if I am within range of the flash, then I die. If im in a building, I cant be flashed because the flash is blocked by the building.

Is there a way I can make the damage from the explosion around 250, and the flashbang effect reach out 700?

Is there a way I can make the damage from the explosion around 250, and the flashbang effect reach out 700?

can remember tbo it was along time ago i did it,i think it was the SoldierLineOfSight value needs to be higher than the explosionRadius value.

Either if this topic has been forgotten or not, I would like to know what line is used to get the nuke blow up above the ground, as Sacre did.

What this video is, is a Nuke detonating in the Air. I finally got the Artillery to detonate above ground so I can have max damage.

:unsure: