Official BF Editor Forums

Ok, so I was playing a little Splinter Cell last night, shooting out the lights to move around in the shadows and wondered, can it be done in the BF engine?

Anyone know?

I was thinking of having a static mesh (light bulb), but how would the lighting effects of the engine work, I.e. can python turn them off when you shoot the bulb?

Edited by Ells

From what I've seen with the BF2 engine...Mabye...

But you might want to wait from a response from Msch or somthing...

Yes you can. If you add a light to a destroyable object (PCO for example), the engine will hide the light when its in wreck mode, repair it and it comes back. The light will turn off (if you have ever played Desert-Conflict, you might have noticed a flickering behaviour of the flag-orb in CTF when the flag is carried around). Im not sure if the light is hidden if you tell the engine not to hide children when the PCO is wrecked, but you always set that boolean to false.

Ofcourse, when you play on low settings lights are always off ;)

Edited by Harry

Yes you can. If you add a light to a destroyable object (PCO for example), the engine will hide the light when its in wreck mode, repair it and it comes back. The light will turn off (if you have ever played Desert-Conflict, you might have noticed a flickering behaviour of the flag-orb in CTF when the flag is carried around). Im not sure if the light is hidden if you tell the engine not to hide children when the PCO is wrecked, but you always set that boolean to false.

is that like a glow light or a dynamic light thou?

Are you sure about that , Harry ? When i add children to a destroyable, they need at least an empty wreck geometry to be hidden on destruction. I tried even to model my children only into the healthy geometry to make them dissapear when wrecked, but to no avail.

So maybe your lights need a wreck geometry ?

Idk, I think only the glow object was addtemplate'ed it it does flicker for me. I dont have the source at hand so I cant look it up atm (but you should dld the mod anyway =] )

ye USI has flashing glow lights on the wings etc of planes, we are more on about here dynamic lights that acturly cast light. but you also pointed out that ppl with low settings would not be able to see this light, so its kinda pointless trying to light up a room with it hehe.

It was the glowshit object, which is glowing and dynamic if im correct. The hierarchy was

Orb

-Flag inside orb

--Glowshit

destroying the orb made the lights go out.