• Announcements

• Detrux

Site Relaunched   10/13/2016

Welcome back to BFEditor.org! We've upgraded the forum software, removed the spammers, and improved security. Apologies for the downtime! Det
caribcanuk

Poe2 Extended Tools For 3Dmax 6-8 And 9

60 posts in this topic

EDIT: Latest download link for the POE/Rexman 3dmax tools... April 16th, 2012

http://realitymodfiles.com/rhino/editor/poe2_3dsmax9_0.30a.zip

i just had a major system crash lost 2 hds full of data. anyways if someone could repost the links to the poe2 extended tools would be much appreciated. thats about the last thing i need to get to get back modding ,

thanks caribcanuk

Edited by Bensta

thank catbox he had reposted last time the forums crashed but havent seen any link this time even after searching. now i can get back to modellin sucks when your hd crashes

caribcanuk

Got a question, I still have Doomlabs tool installed; do I install this tool over it or?

I removed the Doomlab ones manually... then added the POE ones... they may be able to be overwritten though?

Am I right in thinking that these are the only tools required in order to Import and Export BF2 models ?

Cheers

I have installed these tools and now have the BF2 menu in max.. However when I use the mesh import function ( In Utilities) Nothing appears in the veiwport. The file I am importing has an extension e.con . I understand that there are other files which make up the object (Collision mesh file and the Static Mesh file) but the import mesh function does not seem to support these file extensions.

I am sure its is pretty simple to resolve, but is stopping me from progressing. Please help …: )

Thanks

No importer afaik imports collisionmeshes or sets up the Material Manager. You need to do that manually. Pointing the import function to a .con file is the right thing to do, but you need to make sure that there is the 'meshes' folder in the same directory as the con file.

I downloaded 3ds MAX 9 and those Poe2 extended tools to v.9, but I can't see any import options? I tried to look from ReadMe. I have a BF2 Menu in max but there is only "BF2 Exporter", "BF2 Utilities", "BF2 Lightmapping" and "BF2 Batch export"!

The PoE2 tools extend the 'BF2 Utilities' . Press them to get access to the funtions from the original Tools and to the extensions.

After installing the tools, you should see the BF2 menu option:

bf2poet1ov4.jpg

Next in the drop down menu, you should choose Utilities:

bfpoe2wb6.jpg

Here you find the nifty tools and the Importer for the models mesh:

bfpoe3ut5.jpg

I can import the meshes, and that's just about as far as I have gotten... :rolleyes:

Hoooty!

Above all else be patient, it takes time to learn the modding processes. A lot of these folks here are busy working on their own mods... and other things, not to mention having all the other distractions that life brings. When they can find time they come here and answer our newb questions.

In the meantime, we newbs can to try to help each other along. ;)

Make sure to have both the objects_client.zip and objects_server.zip files extracted to the same folder before you try to import any meshes (should be mentioned in the readme). UVW on the models is intact, but you'll have to apply the textures manually.

I installed the new SDK tools for Crysis tonight and now I cant seem to use the POE toolset anymore to export BF2 statics. :angry: Here's the error I get when I try to do anything with them:

errormsgcq6.jpg

I checked the modified dates on all the bf2 stuff - no changes there. Reinstalled the tools - same issue. Anybody know if this function calls something that may have been overwritten? Using Max9 which sucks because I cant take my stuff back to Max8 without a LOT of headaches. IDK what to do...

Our modeller Caribcanuk claims he fixed that by removing the crysis script from the startup scripts of MAX which will maintain the export capabilities for Crysis ( and still have the Crysis shaders) but doesn't interfere with the BF2 tools anymore. Give it a try.

I think it might be possible to fix it also by first installing the Crysis tools, then extract the PoE tools over them into your Max folder.

Edit: ahh, i read you have tried the second way to no avail. Looks to me as if the Crysis tools somehow patch the 'lowercase' function.

Edited by mschoeldgen[Xww2]

K sweet - I'll give that a try. So would I move that load script out of the startup into another folder and call that later if I wanted to work with the tools on a given session or is it not at all necessary? The guys on the Crysis site are suggesting to load them manually thru the plugin manager but I dont have any experience working with that...?

It seems that the crysis script hooks itself into all export tasks to check the validity of the object . As Crysis uses the $ sign to designate lods it then complains about wrong naming when you export a BF2 hierachy. Take the crytek startup script out and give it a try without it.

If this doesn't work you either need to move files around when switching from Crysis to BF2 or you really have to make yourself familiar with the plugin manager :P

Edited by mschoeldgen[Xww2]

It seems that the crysis script hooks itself into all export tasks to check the validity of the object . As Crysis uses the $ sign to designate lods it then complains about wrong naming when you export a BF2 hierachy. Take the crytek startup script out and give it a try without it.

If this doesn't work you either need to move files around when switching from Crysis to BF2 or you really have to make yourself familiar with the plugin manager :P

i just move it out of the start up folder when i want to work in max and then put it back in the folder when i need it. you could put the scripts in the script folder and manually run them as needed .

Hi all!

at first thanks for this nice tool. :)

i have been playing around with it and importing staticmeshes such as vehicles works like a chram.

but when i try to import a playermodel / soldier, nothing happens.

is that intended? :)

Edited by infinityloop

No, it should work just like bundledmeshes or staticmeshes. ( soldiers are 'skinnedmeshes' ) . Probably you didn't extract the complete soldier from objects_client.zip AND objects_server.zip into a common folder before attempting the import.

I admit i didn't import a soldier with the PoE tools yet, but it worked with the doomlab tools (where the PoE tools spun off from ) and my own import extension on Rexman's original Max tools.

I'm currently running into problems with the PoE2 tools when exporting Animated UV's (on tank wheels). Did anybody export a tank successfully with animated UV wheels and is it just me stupid ? ( presumably yes , but lets hear from you )