Official BF Editor Forums
jumpjet

Maya - Merging Vertices

Hi

I would be grateful if someone could help me to join an island to the main navmesh using Maya 8.5.

First let me say that I have followed the excellent tutorial here :- http://bf2.e-plaza.de/page4.htm

It's just that I can't get it to work, perhaps it's because I am using a different version of Maya than the tutorial.

Pictues are worth a thousand words, to I'll use them to explain my problem :-

1/ Here is my island selected at the bottom, and I want to join it to the top main mesh

maya_1.jpg

2/ I go into to EDGE mode mode and extrude one of the edges toward the main mesh

maya_2.jpg

3/ I now swap to VERTEX mode, move 2 vertices of the recently extruded edge toward two vertices on the main mesh, where I want to join the main mesh.

I jiggle them about in 3D space until they are very close to each other

maya_3.jpg

4/ Here where it all goes wrong, the picture is from the left side of the island where I want to make my first pair of vertices merge.

I just CANNOT select the 2 vertices to join, I can select one or the other, but NOT both at the same time, therefore I cannot merge the island at all.

I can select multiple vertices on any one polygon, either on the island or on the main mesh, but CAN'T select 1 from the island and 1 from the main mesh.

Can anyone tell me where I am going wrong?

maya_4.jpg

Also as a side question, does anyone know how to raise the whole navmesh up in space by a small amount, so that when it is exported back into BF2 Editor it is totally visible?

You may have guessed that I am new to this mapping/navmeshing lark, and I navmeshed a map 3 times because of perceived gaps in the navmesh, when in actual fact the gaps were not there, it was just that the navmesh was lurking just below the terrain of the map ........ doh!

navmesh_1.jpg

Anyway, my thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out, especially for the island joining bit, as it gets a bit frustrating having to delete EVERY island.

Cheers :D

The meshes that you want to merge verts between need to be part of the same mesh. Select both meshes in object mode and Group them. Then switch into vertex mode and merge verts.

This is one thing that makes me miss sub object selection in Max, but I'm never turning back.

Edited by a2k