Official BF Editor Forums
junk

Need Fire

Hey Python dudes, I was wondering if anybody was interested in a trade. Say, one weapon, object or vehicle for one python script?

Thanks to Pirates, BFA now has working flamethrowers which can set the area ablaze and have the fire hurt the players. The problem is still the age-old issue we've always had in that this does not give the flamethrower operator any points. The projectile itself has a supply object attached to it, which handles the area-effect damage. If you hit somebody directly with the projectile, you get a point for the kill, but if the projectile sticks and then later hurts by supply object, nothing happens. I find this enough to get people to literally not bother with the weapon for even 2 seconds after learning they get no points. It doesn't matter that it's the most fun weapon in the game. Even though we're unranked, it's still too much for players and I want to fix this for us aswell as everybody else making mods. I don't want the python script to be proprietary to BFA, I want it available for the whole public to consume as this is something that I feel should be a part of the whole lineup. In return, you will receive the object of your choosing, distributable to only your mod... or to the public aswell (your choosing).

I will make the whole object. I will model, unwrap, texture, export, code, animate and add the effect-bundles. Of course, nobody's crazy enough to assume this includes custom soldiers, right?

First come first serve. Does anybody even have the slightest clue where to begin or if this can be done?

I kinda doubt you'll be able to do this, unless...

1) Only one person can use the flamethrower at any given time. In that case it's pretty easy, but I doubt that's what you want....

2) There's a way to give each player a "different" handheld w/ a unique templatename AND the python event picks up the projectile or weapon that owns the supply object. I doubt it does. In dcon's arty system I had to duplicate every arty vehicle, firearm and (camera) projectiles to ALL have unique template names just so the python had a way to find who's projectile is who's. And that's just tracking projectile ownership, not addtemplated (supply) objects.

Edited by kiff

Ya, there is a work-around for this junk. Check your pm.

interested in what this is ;)

would love to be able to link projectiles in the world to who fired them.

interested in what this is ;)

would love to be able to link projectiles in the world to who fired them.

yea, but we know why it's not posted. can you say vapor-ware? ;)

yea, but we know why it's not posted. can you say vapor-ware? ;)

Take your negative, condescending remarks and attitude to your own forums. This serves as warning #1.

I am unlocking this thread. Although what seems to be going on here isnt really suitable for all ages, I dont think its fair for Junk just to close his topic. Unless of course we need to trigger a new rant, you got to love those ones ;).

Also, I personally feel that if posts are being removed, remove all posts that have a "negative" content, not jsut the one. Its not fair (althoguh a flamewar isnt fair) to the guy whose post was removed.

Flamewars are fine, as long as its in the context of this threads title and first post, eg using a flamethrower.

Wasnt python able to track players who lost 50% of their health to someone, and when killed assistance points were given? Maybe you can see how much the direct damage of the flamethrower did and give "asistance points" based on that. If the resulting healthloss was most likely not causes by enemy fire, give the guy with the flame the full points. Havent looked into this very much but it might be an idea.

How the hell this went south is beyond me. For one, I locked nothing. Check the site, I'm not admin anymore.

Who Mach10 chooses to help and why he does it and how he goes about it is his own damn business and speculation about it is not only rude, but insulting. Since when did he HAVE to help anybody? I already said I want this for the goddamn fucking whole entire community so if you're not exactly in the loop during the goddamn hashing-through phase, then you can sit tight with your thumbs up your own dumb asses and wait.

I know I'm kind of late on this thread, but it seemed to have gotten nowhere. I just ran across it and wanted to see if my $.02 was useful.

Anyway, I am no programmer, but I have run into similar problems in other engines. The way you may be able to work around it is to have the flamethrower drop a triggered weapon at the same time it is firing a projectile. Wherever the projectile sets an object or ground ablaze, it would drop/create a hot spot. It seems like what you would need is to make the hot spots triggerable weapons is all.

Another cool weapon that would require very similar code would be a remote-activated explosive arrow. Fire the arrow at a wall or something, then when someone walks by, press the button and boom... Or fire it into the leg of an enemy and wait for him to catch up to his squad and take them all out. Of course, this one would have to be triggered by the player, whereas the Flamethrower one would be triggered by other players.

This all sounds good in theory, but I don't know if this is easily done within the engine's capacity... I'm just an artist with ideas.

So the game is nearly turning 3 years old next month and I was wondering if anyone had ever come up with a way to get a supply object like an incendiary grenade give the player the kill points? We've had an incendiary in our mod for 2 and half years and it's still just a "last resort" weapon used only when you've got no other way to take out the enemy, lol. It would be nice to be able to make it a "scoring" weapon once and for all.

Is this categorically just not possible in this dear old engine of ours? :lol:

At pirates we played with a few things but couldn't get anything to work, believe BF:A did with the same outcome as well. Seems its just one of those things that just doesnt work as we would like!

Hmm, it seems that the basic problem is still the non-existent projectile . Mind you that Mines do give kill points even if the initiator is miles away :huh: So my basic idea (we don't have such a weapon in the mod atm so i'm speaking only in theory ) would be to give those weapons a projectile 'spraying' damaging particles ( for a Molotov-cocktail like weapon ) and ( for flamethrower-like weapons ) emit a cone of projectiles . By this the engine understands the connection between weapon and projectile and gives points to the initiator.

Adding fire effects for eyecandy is the final touch.

Edited by mschoeldgen[Xww2]

I'm not totally understanding what you're suggesting. The trouble you've got is having the effect/projectile stay around. Theres nothing, that i can think off that will sit around, do damage when you touch it and remain once its gone off.

The mines are the best option and i never thought of using those, but then is there a way of having two different projectiles come from the same weapon fire event? You'ld need a mine based projectile and a seperate projectile that is solely time based that has the flames effect attached. Otherwise i would guess that when the mine went off the flame effect would disappear - unless you have the flame effect run on the detonation event as well???

You'ld only get one kill from the projectile which isnt too bad - better than nothing, but would you also run into problems with the number of mine type projectiles in the world?

Well, how about spraying lots of firey AP mines around? People running into them will "detonate" them and they can expire as normal. That's only one kind of projectile. The main trick would be making the fire effect have a fairly large spread, so they overlap and a single 'mine' going off and disappearing didn't make all the flames disappear.

(this is how i plan to do our flamethrowers when we get to needing them -- if anyone sees an obvious shortcoming with that please let me know! but i haven't actually tested this yet.)

Edited by [FH]ctz

Hmm, it seems that the basic problem is still the non-existent projectile . Mind you that Mines do give kill points even if the initiator is miles away :huh: So my basic idea (we don't have such a weapon in the mod atm so i'm speaking only in theory ) would be to give those weapons a projectile 'spraying' damaging particles ( for a Molotov-cocktail like weapon ) and ( for flamethrower-like weapons ) emit a cone of projectiles . By this the engine understands the connection between weapon and projectile and gives points to the initiator.

Adding fire effects for eyecandy is the final touch.

I like the sound of this. Do you think I could use something like the to emit a cone of projectiles that do damage out of the back of an AT rocket? How would I go about adding this cone of projectiles? If you could tell me how to do this that would be awesome.

Thanks.:)

The quick and dirty approach to emit a cone of projectiles would probably use kinda machinegun fire with a high setting for deviation . If you're deeper into coding you could add more barrels to the weapon for wider spreading of the projectiles. That would require a high RoF but small damage per projectile.

@PiratePlunder: We know that we can attach things to projectiles. So possibly we don't have to generate 2 projectiles but only one with the fire effect attached and the spraying of the projectiles which do the killing job.

Admittedly a Molotov is probably harder to create than a flamethrower.

We still could try to attach the negative supply object to the Molotov projectile mesh and see if the kill points are granted ( as this time the kill is initiated by a projectile ) . I think it doesn't work this way but it might be worth a try. Unfortunately i'm busy in RL atm so i can't code as i'd like to.

We still could try to attach the negative supply object to the Molotov projectile mesh and see if the kill points are granted ( as this time the kill is initiated by a projectile ) . I think it doesn't work this way but it might be worth a try. Unfortunately i'm busy in RL atm so i can't code as i'd like to.

Yep - doesn't work, points aren't added and of course the projectile remains.

CTZ - should have known you'ld come up with the best option... I've never really played around with the mines - so its possible to have an AP mine that is non directional (or i guess fully directional) and that wont set off near by mines? AT mines dont set each other off do they, but do the claymores. Also is there any practical limit to the number of mine projectiles that can be on a dedicated server?

My concern for having two projectiles was that you wouldn't want the flame effect to be removed when the projectile went off. For the pirates molotov we attached the flame effect to the projectile but the projectile cant go off so it wasnt a problem, but if you want the projectile to go off - giving the points - then it would be.

However, thinking about it more, attaching the flame effect to each of the mine projectiles could work really well. As fires diminish they do do it bit by bit so if a little bit of the flame were to be removed when a mine went off it could, inadvertently, end up looking more realistic. I think thats preferable to having flames that don't do damage because someones already died there.

Would this method also provide the possibility of a fire extinguisher?

Edited by PiratePlunder

Hehe, couldn't resist having a play with this. Seems to work really well although i was lazy so just used the s_amb_fire effect which is a little too intense. Also can't check how it works on a dedi as my works locked me out of all MP games... ggrrrr!

flamethrower.jpg

Too lazy to set up a new weapon, so i just played around with the USRIF_M203, if anyone wants to have a play heres the tweak.... 3 mines per shot, fully automatic, mines stick to all surfaces and damage infantry and vehicles. To be useful the effect needs switching over for something a little less resource hungry (i guess) and the material / mat multipliers need changing as its far too easy to kill a tank.

rem *** Generated with Bf2Editor.exe [created: 2005/2/14 17:21]
GeometryTemplate.setMaterialReflectionScale 0 0 0 0.3
GeometryTemplate.compressVertexData 1
GeometryTemplate.maxTextureRepeat 8
ObjectTemplate.activeSafe GenericFireArm usrif_m203
ObjectTemplate.creator OCA-1:oca
ObjectTemplate.modifiedByUser jsa
ObjectTemplate.saveInSeparateFile 1
rem ---BeginComp:WeaponHud ---
ObjectTemplate.createComponent WeaponHud
ObjectTemplate.weaponHud.weaponIcon Ingame\Weapons\Icons\Hud\USRGL_M203G.tga
ObjectTemplate.weaponHud.altWeaponIcon Ingame\Weapons\Icons\Hud\USRGL_M203G_mini.tga
ObjectTemplate.weaponHud.selectIcon Ingame\Weapons\Icons\Hud\Selection\USRIF_M203.tga
ObjectTemplate.weaponHud.hudName "Flamethrower"
ObjectTemplate.weaponHud.guiIndex 4
ObjectTemplate.weaponHud.altGuiIndex 52
ObjectTemplate.weaponHud.deviationFactor 5
ObjectTemplate.weaponHud.maxVisualDeviation 20
ObjectTemplate.weaponHud.minVisualDeviation 2
ObjectTemplate.weaponHud.disableOnSprint 1
rem ---EndComp ---
rem ---BeginComp:SingleFireComp ---
ObjectTemplate.createComponent SingleFireComp
ObjectTemplate.fire.roundsPerMinute 300
ObjectTemplate.fire.addFireRate 2
ObjectTemplate.fire.addFireRate 0
ObjectTemplate.fire.fireInCameraDof 1
ObjectTemplate.fire.batchSize 3
rem ---EndComp ---
rem ---BeginComp:DefaultAmmoComp ---
ObjectTemplate.createComponent DefaultAmmoComp
ObjectTemplate.ammo.ammoType 1
ObjectTemplate.ammo.nrOfMags 7
ObjectTemplate.ammo.reloadTime 4.375
rem ---EndComp ---
rem ---BeginComp:SoldierBasedRecoilComp ---
ObjectTemplate.createComponent SoldierBasedRecoilComp
ObjectTemplate.recoil.hasRecoilForce 1
ObjectTemplate.recoil.recoilForceUp CRD_UNIFORM/0.5/0.05/0
ObjectTemplate.recoil.recoilForceLeftRight CRD_UNIFORM/-0.4/0.4/0
ObjectTemplate.recoil.zoomModifier 0.8
ObjectTemplate.recoil.recoilGraphExponent 3
ObjectTemplate.recoil.recoilGraphTotalMovement 1
rem ---EndComp ---
rem ---BeginComp:HelpHud ---
ObjectTemplate.createComponent HelpHud
ObjectTemplate.HelpHud.helpStringKey "HUD_HELP_WEAPON_HANDHELD_ASSAULTRIFLE_CONTROLS_switchToGrenades"
rem ---EndComp ---
rem ---BeginComp:SoldierDeviationComp ---
ObjectTemplate.createComponent SoldierDeviationComp
ObjectTemplate.deviation.setFireDev 2 0.2 0.05
ObjectTemplate.deviation.minDev 6.0
ObjectTemplate.deviation.subProjectileDev 8
ObjectTemplate.deviation.setTurnDev 0 0 0 0
ObjectTemplate.deviation.setSpeedDev 1.2 0.2 0.2 0.1
ObjectTemplate.deviation.setMiscDev 3.2 1.5 0.05
ObjectTemplate.deviation.devModStand 1.5
ObjectTemplate.deviation.devModCrouch 1.3
ObjectTemplate.deviation.devModZoom 0.8
rem ---EndComp ---
rem ---BeginComp:DefaultSoundComp ---
ObjectTemplate.createComponent DefaultSoundComp
rem ---EndComp ---
rem ---BeginComp:DefaultAnimationComp ---
ObjectTemplate.createComponent DefaultAnimationComp
rem ---EndComp ---
rem ---BeginComp:DefaultZoomComp ---
ObjectTemplate.createComponent DefaultZoomComp
ObjectTemplate.zoom.zoomDelay 0.09
ObjectTemplate.zoom.zoomLod 1
ObjectTemplate.zoom.addZoomFactor 0
ObjectTemplate.zoom.addZoomFactor 0.6
rem ---EndComp ---
ObjectTemplate.geometry USRIF_M203
ObjectTemplate.setCollisionMesh usrif_m203
ObjectTemplate.mapMaterial 0 Collision_Material 68
ObjectTemplate.mapMaterial 1 lambert1 68
ObjectTemplate.hasMobilePhysics 0
ObjectTemplate.hasCollisionPhysics 1
ObjectTemplate.physicsType Mesh
ObjectTemplate.aiTemplate usrif_m16a2
rem -------------------------------------
ObjectTemplate.addTemplate S_usrif_m203_Fire1P
ObjectTemplate.setPosition -0.00420591/0.0486487/0.596709
ObjectTemplate.addTemplate S_usrif_m203_Fire1P_Outdoor
ObjectTemplate.setPosition -0.00338623/0.0358297/0.594217
ObjectTemplate.addTemplate S_usrif_m203_Fire3P
ObjectTemplate.setPosition -0.00327992/0.0352125/0.592147
ObjectTemplate.addTemplate S_usrif_m203_BoltClick
ObjectTemplate.setPosition 0.00847864/0.0669459/-0.0840718
ObjectTemplate.addTemplate S_usrif_m203_TriggerClick
ObjectTemplate.setPosition 0/-0.0258353/-0.0401724
ObjectTemplate.addTemplate S_usrif_m203_SwitchFireRate
ObjectTemplate.setPosition 0/0.0072858/-0.0865821
ObjectTemplate.addTemplate S_usrif_m203_Reload1P
ObjectTemplate.setPosition 0/-0.0285441/0.0125099
ObjectTemplate.addTemplate S_usrif_m203_Reload3P
ObjectTemplate.setPosition 0/-0.0368675/0.0231495
ObjectTemplate.addTemplate S_usrif_m203_Deploy1P
ObjectTemplate.setPosition 0/0.05229/-0.0200007
ObjectTemplate.addTemplate S_usrif_m203_Deploy3P
ObjectTemplate.setPosition 0/0.057929/-0.0858018
ObjectTemplate.addTemplate S_usrif_m203_Zoom
ObjectTemplate.setPosition -0.00253812/0.0553252/-0.019706
ObjectTemplate.animationSystem1P Objects/Weapons/Handheld/USRIF_M203/AnimationSystem1p.inc
ObjectTemplate.animationSystem3P Objects/Weapons/Handheld/USRIF_M203/AnimationSystem3p.inc
ObjectTemplate.projectileTemplate USRIF_M203_Projectile
ObjectTemplate.velocity 14
ObjectTemplate.itemIndex 3
ObjectTemplate.delayToUse 0.7

GeometryTemplate.compressVertexData 1
GeometryTemplate.maxTextureRepeat 16
ObjectTemplate.create GenericProjectile USRIF_M203_Projectile
ObjectTemplate.modifiedByUser nfe
ObjectTemplate.setNetworkableInfo BasicInfo
ObjectTemplate.createNotInGrid 1
ObjectTemplate.createdInEditor 1
rem ---BeginComp:Armor ---
ObjectTemplate.createComponent Armor
ObjectTemplate.armor.maxHitPoints 1000
ObjectTemplate.armor.defaultMaterial 90
ObjectTemplate.armor.waterLevel -0.3
rem ---EndComp ---
rem ---BeginComp:DefaultCollisionComp ---
rem ObjectTemplate.createComponent DefaultCollisionComp
rem ObjectTemplate.collision.bouncing 1
rem ---EndComp ---
rem ---BeginComp:StickyCollisionComp ---
ObjectTemplate.createComponent StickyCollisionComp
ObjectTemplate.collision.bouncing 1
ObjectTemplate.collision.maxStickAngle 360
rem ---EndComp ---
rem ---BeginComp:DefaultDetonationComp ---
ObjectTemplate.createComponent DefaultDetonationComp
ObjectTemplate.detonation.explosionMaterial 80
ObjectTemplate.detonation.explosionRadius 8
ObjectTemplate.detonation.explosionForce 1
ObjectTemplate.detonation.explosionDamage 200
ObjectTemplate.detonation.useMMOnEndEffect 1
ObjectTemplate.detonation.triggerRadius 6
ObjectTemplate.detonation.triggerType MTYPco
ObjectTemplate.detonation.triggerVictimMinSpeed 1
ObjectTemplate.detonation.detectionRadius 10
ObjectTemplate.detonation.showMineIndicationIcon 0
ObjectTemplate.detonation.allowFriendlyFireDetonation 1
rem ---EndComp ---
rem ---BeginComp:DefaultProjSoundComp ---
ObjectTemplate.createComponent DefaultProjSoundComp
rem ---EndComp ---
rem ---BeginComp:DefaultPenetrateComp ---
ObjectTemplate.createComponent DefaultPenetrateComp
ObjectTemplate.penetrate.allowSolidPenetration 0
rem ---EndComp ---
rem ObjectTemplate.geometry at_mine
ObjectTemplate.setCollisionMesh at_mine
ObjectTemplate.mass 25
ObjectTemplate.floaterMod 0
ObjectTemplate.hasMobilePhysics 1
ObjectTemplate.hasCollisionPhysics 1
ObjectTemplate.physicsType Mesh
ObjectTemplate.collisionGroups 8
ObjectTemplate.material 90
ObjectTemplate.addTemplate S_USRIF_M203_Projectile_Looping
ObjectTemplate.addTemplate e_sAmb_fire
ObjectTemplate.timeToLive CRD_NONE/50/0/0
ObjectTemplate.material 90
ObjectTemplate.hasOnTimeEffect 1
ObjectTemplate.armingDelay 1
ObjectTemplate.localPredictOnClient 1
ObjectTemplate.damage 40
ObjectTemplate.visibleOn3dMap 0
ObjectTemplate.3dMapIcon 9
ObjectTemplate.canPickup 1

ObjectTemplate.activeSafe Sound S_usrif_m203_Fire1P

ObjectTemplate.activeSafe Sound S_usrif_m203_Fire3P

ObjectTemplate.activeSafe Sound S_usrif_m203_BoltClick
ObjectTemplate.soundFilename "objects/weapons/handheld/usrif_m4/sounds/mono/m4_boltclick.wav"
ObjectTemplate.loopCount 1
ObjectTemplate.is3dSound 0
ObjectTemplate.stopType 1
ObjectTemplate.volume 0.95
ObjectTemplate.pitch 1
ObjectTemplate.pan 0.5
ObjectTemplate.reverbLevel 1
ObjectTemplate.position 0.00847864/0.0669459/-0.0840718

ObjectTemplate.activeSafe Sound S_usrif_m203_TriggerClick
ObjectTemplate.modifiedByUser mdo
ObjectTemplate.soundFilename "objects/weapons/handheld/uspis_92fs/sounds/mono/trigger_click.wav"
ObjectTemplate.volume 0.5
ObjectTemplate.pitch 1
ObjectTemplate.pan 0.5

ObjectTemplate.activeSafe Sound S_usrif_m203_SwitchFireRate
ObjectTemplate.soundFilename "objects/weapons/handheld/usrif_m4/sounds/mono/m4_fire_rate_switch.wav"
ObjectTemplate.pitch 1
ObjectTemplate.pan 0.5
ObjectTemplate.position 0/0.0072858/-0.0865821

ObjectTemplate.activeSafe Sound S_usrif_m203_Reload1P
ObjectTemplate.soundFilename "objects/weapons/handheld/usrif_m4/sounds/stereo/m4_reload.wav"
ObjectTemplate.volume 0.6
ObjectTemplate.pitch 1
ObjectTemplate.pan 0.5
ObjectTemplate.position 0/-0.0285441/0.0125099

ObjectTemplate.activeSafe Sound S_usrif_m203_Reload3P
ObjectTemplate.soundFilename "objects/weapons/handheld/usrif_m4/sounds/mono/m4_reload_3p.wav"
ObjectTemplate.is3dSound 1
ObjectTemplate.volume 0.6
ObjectTemplate.pitch 1
ObjectTemplate.position 0/-0.0368675/0.0231495
ObjectTemplate.minDistance 0.5
ObjectTemplate.halfVolumeDistance 1

ObjectTemplate.activeSafe Sound S_usrif_m203_Deploy1P
ObjectTemplate.soundFilename "objects/weapons/handheld/usrif_m4/sounds/mono/m4_deploy.wav"
ObjectTemplate.stopType 0
ObjectTemplate.volume 0.4
ObjectTemplate.pitch 1
ObjectTemplate.pan 0.5
ObjectTemplate.position 0/0.05229/-0.0200007

ObjectTemplate.activeSafe Sound S_usrif_m203_Deploy3P
ObjectTemplate.soundFilename "objects/weapons/handheld/usrif_m4/sounds/mono/m4_deploy.wav"
ObjectTemplate.is3dSound 1
ObjectTemplate.stopType 0
ObjectTemplate.volume 0.4
ObjectTemplate.pitch 1
ObjectTemplate.position 0/0.057929/-0.0858018
ObjectTemplate.minDistance 0.5
ObjectTemplate.halfVolumeDistance 2

ObjectTemplate.activeSafe Sound S_usrif_m203_Zoom
ObjectTemplate.modifiedByUser nfe
ObjectTemplate.soundFilename "objects/weapons/handheld/rurif_bizon/sounds/zoom_generic.wav"
ObjectTemplate.pitch 1
ObjectTemplate.pan 0.5

ObjectTemplate.activeSafe Sound S_USRIF_M203_Projectile_Looping

Edited by PiratePlunder