Official BF Editor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Smagma

Damaging Effects

What Im trying to do is create a damaging effect. Im using a smokegrenade effect and am trying to attach damage for as long as it last. I have already tried adding a damaging supply object to the actual effect and it works but only locally. On a dedicated server it does no damage.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

You could use a damaging material on the col2 of the projectile/weapon and make that a sphere with the desired radius. In BF2 the material is called death_material and has the ID 666. Depending on your damage settings , you can make it hurt slowly or faster.

When creating your col2 mesh keep in mind that it needs to be smaller than the bounding box of col0, else it won't work correctly.

PiratePlunder went this route with our flaming potionjars - works great but was a bit of pain to tweak just right.

PiratePlunder went this route with our flaming potionjars - works great but was a bit of pain to tweak just right.

Could you explain the idea alittle more.

Its easy. The way I did it was to template the damage supply object to the projectile, dont kill that projectile but keep it around - sticky it if you want - and make the time to live on the projectile the length you want the damage to stay around. Any effects you just template to the projectile as well so that they run for that length of time, and you can also had additional effects when the time to live runs out if you want to be really neat.

I'm assusming you already have the amazing bfp2 mod ;) , if so crack it open and look at the potionjar weapon code. Its also posted in a thread here about flamethrowers, so alternatively look around for that.

Msch did you manage to successfully set up a death style material that only damages rather than kills outright? Our grog barrels are using that method but i'ld love to lower their effectiveness!

Its easy. The way I did it was to template the damage supply object to the projectile, dont kill that projectile but keep it around - sticky it if you want - and make the time to live on the projectile the length you want the damage to stay around. Any effects you just template to the projectile as well so that they run for that length of time, and you can also had additional effects when the time to live runs out if you want to be really neat.

I'm assusming you already have the amazing bfp2 mod ;) , if so crack it open and look at the potionjar weapon code. Its also posted in a thread here about flamethrowers, so alternatively look around for that.

Msch did you manage to successfully set up a death style material that only damages rather than kills outright? Our grog barrels are using that method but i'ld love to lower their effectiveness!

I appreciate the help, and I'll try to work this to an artillery situation.

if I turn off the damage or want to increase damage

what is the normal damage if i change

on this

ObjectTemplate.active eu_handgun_Projectile

ObjectTemplate.minDamage 0

ObjectTemplate.damage 0

ObjectTemplate.active eu_SentryGun_FireArm_Projectile

ObjectTemplate.minDamage 0

ObjectTemplate.damage 0

on pac to

Edited by Gx660