Official BF Editor Forums

Beta Testers Needed. Vietnam/ Operation Irving 2007

Zeus

Greetings all.

I've finally got my map working and need some players to help test and evaluate it. The name of the map is Operation Irving 2007 and is based on the Battlefield Vietnam map of the same name. It's taken about a year to complete, on and off, with a crap load of problems along the way but I finally figured out the last "networkable error" problem and have it up and running on my server. (Had to remove the SIMRADs from the kits.) First and foremost a HUGE thank you to Mschoeldgen (Xww2), Catbox, 1/2 Hawk, Junk and all the other people that helped me with it. These guys are truly masters at mapping and modding and are top notch in my book! Thank you again. I wanted to post screen shots and a video but time wouldn't allow. I think you'll be pleased with the map and some of the tweaks though.

Some tweaks included are:

Vietnam error vehicle and weapon skins

Some new weapon sounds

Ambient effects (Thunder/ Jungle etc) including a workable air raid siren. (Activate by entering the bunker on the Vietcong beach front)

Vietnam radio broadcasts on US Base

"We need Choppers pronto" and "We need air support now" triggerables on US base (Hangar and helo pads)

Load out in jet changed

New sinage

Speed boat has been customized for Vietcong as is the claymore mine and other VC objects

Ammo and mag size changed

M16 added to most US kits

Added dirtbike on US base with new camo skin (Dirtbike is the creation of SATNAV)

And several other changes....

Known issues and things still in need of tweaking:

US Sniper rifle sound is out of sync by about a 1/2 a second

Chas Protecta deploys tow missles and destroys EVERYTHING in its path

Ammo and mags need to be balanced

Pagoda on the "VC Hill" has some weird shadowing effects on it

One group of trees is not firmly set in terrain/ VC Courtyard

Shadows are a little dark in some of the buildings

These are things I could have fixed prior to the beta release but I wanted to get this out there and see if anyone else could find problems or improvements so I can do everything at once. This is an actual mod (with one map ;) ) but if it works out okay I'm going to try and recreate some other BFV maps for BF2. The downside is the file is about 406 MB and will take about 15 min or so to download via DSL. I haven't cleaned all the junk out yet such as medal graphics and all the other unecessary files that made it in. The final version should be considerably smaller. Hope this isn't too discouraging as I would really like to get some feedback. You can download the map at:

Nam.rar

Just unzip the file in your mods folder (I'm sure you all know this/but maybe some don't) and you'll be set. You can either access my server via the BF2 menu: Server name is Graveyard Dogs or via the IP: 71.160.127.149 It's usually easier to access through the menu as the IP changes from time to time. The server is dedicated and based in California. I have it up and running 24/7. Hope to see a few of you in the "Nam". My screen name is ZeusGYD and I'll be logged in from time to time. Bugs and improvements can be posted here or PM'd.

Thanks in advance,

Edited by Zeus

cool, im redoing some bfv maps for Eod atm aswell, just started irving some time ago ;)

but anyway, how about providing some screenshots? 406mb is quite big to have a quick look

cool, im redoing some bfv maps for Eod atm aswell, just started irving some time ago ;)

but anyway, how about providing some screenshots? 406mb is quite big to have a quick look

I'll get some posted up in the next few hours I'll try to do a video fly around as well. Would still like some testers though... ;)

Thanks CB :) ... I've trimmed some fat off the above file, cleaned up some stuff and deleted unneccesary files. Fixed the pagoda and tree/ terrain problem. File is down to 184 MB now (definetly more manageable) still with all the goodies and tweaks. Forgot to mention that both the US and Vietcong have heatseeking hand held launchers. Uploading new file to filefront as I type this. Screen shots should be ready soon.

Tnx

Map video is ready. The resolution is not fantastic but it's viewable. Having some issues with Fraps vs. my video editing program...its always something ;) You can access it via you tube here:

Op Irving / Youtube

Or if you want to download the rar/WMV from my site you can get it here:

Op Irving/.rar file

Was playing on line earlier and noticed a few other issues. Heat seaking ERYX and Predator work fine but the lock on tone sometimes sticks. Enjoy and hope to see you online.

Tnx

Edited by Zeus

Thank GD. Appreciate the kind words. In regard to the TV Missles, I also tried the TV Missles when the VC cap the US base and their helo's spawn... same thing...CTD. Weird. I never tweaked the helo's though. The only file I have in the mod for the Cobra is the "Texture" folder for the camo skin I did. So in theory, it should be reading the tweak for the helo from the vanilla BF2 files and I haven't experienced any TV crashes with vanilla or any other mods. Any other suggestions? I'm stumped. The only other "annoying bug" I found is with the ERYX and Predator. I converted both of them to heat seakers. They work fine but every once in a while the "lock on" beep gets stuck and wont quit sounding until you make another weapon selection (same kit). I can post the tweak if you would like to take a look at it. Think I'll post the helo issue under Help, maybe it will get more exposure.

Tnx in advance

Edited by Zeus

Ah, so it´s the vanilla one.. hmm.. Peculiar. I´ve encountered the lock tone bug with the handheld heatseekers before. If memory serves me correct, the only way I found to get rid of it, is to remove one of the lock tones. I believe it was the second one.. I just woke up, and I had a bit of rum last night.. hehee.. :rolleyes:

Edited by Golden Dragon

TV Missle crash has been fixed thank to mschoeldgen (atlas/reading prob). Most everything else is cosmetic in terms of fixes. I'm currently balancing out the kits on the VC side. Most every kit will now include an ak 47 with new skins and sound. Because each Marine is a basic rifleman..most US Kits will also be supplied an m16. I appreciate all the responses so far...server is up and running 24/7 so don't be shy. You can post any bugs you find or things you would like to see included/deleted here or you can PM me. Hope to have all the fixes done and final map ready to go in about a week (or less). I would also like to make a short promo video of gameplay for you tube and the mod login screen back ground. I have a few people on board already but the more the better (filming will begin after final map is released but before its distributed). PM if your interested. Additionally, I've gotten some map requests that some would like seen added to the mod. Two of the most requested were Operation Flaming Dart and Game Warden. I'll be working on those next.

i havent heard back from you on our forums, so i just wanted to let you know that i started on

converting your irving map for EoD mod - hope thats ok for you.

for flaming dart, i have a alpha version ready for Eod - i could give you the terrain and vanilla statics per the *.con

so you can use that if you want to :)

Christ, would you jump in my grave that fast? This map is still in beta! I pm'd you on the 13th regarding your request. Just because I didn't address your permission request at that time sure as f___k doesn't constitute an implied waiver! I guess I don't have much of a choice now. My problem with that is that I spent a f____ing year making this map and because I'm not proficient with gmax yet, couldn't include the true vietnam era vehicles/ weapons that I wanted to and that EOD apparently has. People will probably be more inclined to play the more faithful recreations of the two...so that will leave me with an empty server, a years work for nothing and holding my dick in my hand. Go for it buddy, make sure EOD staff knows where you got the map design from and that I make it somewhere in the credits. The irony... I probably would have gladly given you my blessings had you not taken the liberty to assume that I would.

Well if debconf is already mapping for them I probably blew any chance I might have had... ;). I guess I over-reacted a bit but I think I was justified. EOD has some really great stuff. I was a big fan of their BFV version and their new BF2 Hueys and Skyraider are insane. I'd like to give it a try with them but I'm not sure if I could get done what they wanted in a resonable amount of time. As for GMAX, I hit it kind of heavy for a few months trying to learn the basics but got side tracked. I was able to knock up a working knife and get it in game. I also downloaded a couple of pre built models, a static and a weapon. Did the heirarchy etc and got them in game but ultimately decided to leave them out of my map. Nothing major really to speak of. I'd like to get more involved as time permits. What's your screen name CB? I'll keep an eye out for you in the server. I keep the server in my home office so if I see people start logging in I usually jump in as well. Supposed to be some clan members logging in sometime this Wednesday. It'd be nice to get 20 or so people in there.

Edited by Zeus

Awesome map! Very nice conversion. Better then the original.

Just out of curiousity, why didn't you make this map for EOD2 originally so you could take advantage of all the EOD vehicles, weapons and statics? It looks to me that all the custom stuff (textures, sounds, statics, weapons, vehicles, etc..) could be added at the map level.

Anyway, keep up the great work.

Thanks Dnamro! I appreciate the comments. I started making the map before I knew EOD was going to update their mod with Hueys etc. Otherwise I probably would have. At the time I started the map they had only released their first version which really didn't have much in the way of air/ground vehicles.

Thanks Dnamro! I appreciate the comments. I started making the map before I knew EOD was going to update their mod with Hueys etc. Otherwise I probably would have. At the time I started the map they had only released their first version which really didn't have much in the way of air/ground vehicles.

Yes, we have a ton of new stuff in the EoD mod. Including REALLY nice F4 Phantoms w/naplam and Mk82's. I have not had a chance to play your map, but I did watch the YouTube vids and saw the pictures. It's a really nice map.

I wish I had known that someone was working hard on such a project. We have tons of things that you could have probably used in your mapping efforts to build a more BFV feeling version of Irving. It is nice now, but I am referring to a more "Vietnam time frame vs modern day". (In actuality, the EoD team could have used your help too. There are several neat things you have within your map that are things that I have done or am working on for the next version of EoD.) Same with the map. We need some really good maps to build out the "all out" atmosphere of the mod. Now that we have all these nice assets to put into game play.

Anyway, don't feel like you stepped on any toes or pissed anyone off. I, certainly think you have a great map. If you have any other Vietnam map aspirations and want to collaborate on ideas. I am certainly open to suggestions. In fact, I would welcome the help.

I'll say this out here in the open. EoD is a mod of many resouces, it is really not a mod of a few anymore. Currently, it is just down to myself, Logan, Debconf and Alffx working on the mod. Alf and Deb are working on maps. Taichi is still making some music and Shipwreck and Vic help when they can. Logan is doing some ai code and hud work. Alot of my support has come from other mods. In the same sentence. I have helped many mods with coding, models, etc. I guess what I am saying is, if you are going to continue on with Vietnam stuff and need help with your projects or want to help our project. I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Mainly because, I help everyone and I know how hard it is to get things done.

Trahn.

Edited by [EoDDev]TrahnLee