Official BF Editor Forums
Thawk

Realtime Rotation/moving

Firstly I'd like to say amazing forum, its like a light in a sea of excrement and sharks aka BF2 Editor.

Anyway in editor when you rotate or move an dobject, you can see in realtime how it moves and what not. But all of a sudden now when I try to rotate an object nothing happens untill a let go of the mouse and it snaps into the new position straight away. Is there a button I pressed to make the objects stop acting in realtime and just snaping?Because its very frustrating when your trying to do small adjustments and you cant actually tell where its moving to when you are moving it untill you let go of the mouse button.

Anway Im not sure what I did, maybe a pressed a button to many times or when I was using my TS talk key I pressed another key to disable realtime movement, but I could be completely wrong, any ideas?

- Thawk

You should first check if your 'Enable Physics' button is still activated. The editor also is bitchy when you tamper with an object without reloading it quite often. When i code around an object its more or less usual for me now to press 'Reload Geometry' after each change or two, with saving the object in-between.

Sometimes pressing 'Reload Object' will be sufficient. Afaik there's no 'realtime' setting in the editor, but e.g. running MSN simultaneously sometimes affects the editor ( and sometimes doesn't ;) )

You cannot go wrong if you consider the editor beta software and act accordingly, that is save often and restart it from time to time to bring it back to normal operation.

Edit : ahh, rereading your question i think you mean placing statics in Level Editor ? Restarting the editor surely does help here. But you can also double-click the static in question and enter numerical values for precise positioning.

Edited by mschoeldgen[Xww2]

subobjects on a vehicle snapping back to where they came is because they were defined in the .con -- so you should either edit the .con (bad!) or reexport with different transforms (good).

This isnt in the object editor this is about moving objects in the level editor, ill try to explain it more simpler, Im finding it hard to describe it though:

Ok you have a flat plain, you place a building onto it, you click the Blue (Z Zxis) arrow and drag it 1 inch to the right on your screen (not ingame terms, real life inch), as your dragging it you see it move to that position right?then when you let go it stays, but for me if I drag that same object an inch to the right the object stays where it is untill I have let go of the mous then it goes straigt to the new position, I was wondering can I get the animation back for moving the objects.

Does that make more sense?

maybe offtopic:

In level editor, how to "snap" two objects together, to avoid overlapping/z-buffering(i'm putting sidewalks around and I have to put them together tightly but I can not make it without calculating coords :S)

br

Its not easy to snap together two objects which have their anchors/pivots in different places. Like said above, doubleclicking the object allows you to enter numerical values for precise positioning. My editor tends to crash if i enter values in the tweaker window, that's what this procedure avoids.

I hear you say : 'Ow, thats a lot of work to enter coordinates for all my sidewalks' :huh: And you're right - but mapping has never been easy :D

I am experiencing the same problem as this thread's original post. I have been using the editor for a couple years now and all of a sudden, my mouse will not move an item in "real-time" nor rotate it in "real-time". It also does not draw the gray box around selected items.

Does anyone know what has caused this? BTW, I have not changed any hardware nor added any software. It just stated doing this from one editor session to the next. I assume I have accidentally changed a setting or something in the editor.

Please help. Thanks

I didn't encounter that problem yet but i know that the editor tends to let objects disappear when memory gets low . Check the options in the render menu and switch around a little from e.g. 'Detail Texture mode' to 'Color mode' and vice versa. Sometimes this helps.

I didn't encounter that problem yet but i know that the editor tends to let objects disappear when memory gets low . Check the options in the render menu and switch around a little from e.g. 'Detail Texture mode' to 'Color mode' and vice versa. Sometimes this helps.

No, this didn't help. I'm only using less than 50% of ram and less than 20% vram during session so unless that memory is being stepped on, it isn't the source of the problem.

I keep thinking that it is an accidental pressing of a key combination that has set itself as a default or something. I tried re-installing the editor but the problem didn't go away.

The editor works just as always with the exception of "no grey selection box" and "no real-time drag or movement" of objects.

Yeah, that didn't help either, also I don't think my RAM or graphics should be a problem. I believe it is also a key combination because sometimes it will start working properly, and then stop again.

Dont know weather this helps but check this (In level editor).

"Snap/Snap to ground" is selected?

If this isn't then it can stop you moving things in real time.

Not entirely sure this is what he was asking originally...however to the original poster...I did notice that the info quoted above effects it somewhat...that somewhat being that it rotates less "jerky" when it is not snapping to grid, (obviously)... but I understand what you are having trouble with. I had that same trouble a few weeks ago...for no reason at all the editor simply would not show the objects while I was moving / rotating them, etc... I ended up reinstalling the editor, as I figured something had gotten corrupted somehow. I installed it right over the top of the old installation making sure to use the same installer that i had originally used. This solved the trouble for me...however it's doing it again.

Note: The first time I had this problem I believed it was a accidental key press or something. I had the same trouble, nothing happening until after a release of mouse after rotation / move...but NOT missing selection boxes...THIS time however I seem to be afflicted with both.

Note: I HAVE noticed that i only experience it in new, or modified maps...when I open a previous map from a time when I know it was working it again works while that map is loaded. So I guess I don't know what the problem is...unless there is an adaptive degradation or clipping or hide contents while moving rotating etc check box somewhere??

Does this confuse anyone sufficiently? :-D

Edited by SuperDeathGuy

Firstly I'd like to say amazing forum, its like a light in a sea of excrement and sharks aka BF2 Editor.

Anyway in editor when you rotate or move an dobject, you can see in realtime how it moves and what not. But all of a sudden now when I try to rotate an object nothing happens untill a let go of the mouse and it snaps into the new position straight away. Is there a button I pressed to make the objects stop acting in realtime and just snaping?Because its very frustrating when your trying to do small adjustments and you cant actually tell where its moving to when you are moving it untill you let go of the mouse button.

Anway Im not sure what I did, maybe a pressed a button to many times or when I was using my TS talk key I pressed another key to disable realtime movement, but I could be completely wrong, any ideas?

- Thawk

I have the exact same problem. (I am using Vista)

I have another, older computer, also with Vista, where it actually works fine now after it haven't been working for a while. I was just checking in on it again without changing anything, and to my surprise, it was working fine. (maybe some windows update fixed it)

My new computer (also Vista) is still not working :( . Also Vista. Both computers has service pack 1. Both has Nvidia 8800 gts.

On my new computer, I have reinstalled editor, reinstalled Vista, but realtime update of objects moving is still not working.

Since my old computer is real slow, I don't want to return to using that one, even if just for the editor.

Honor and recognition to the one genious who can solve this :)

Edited by SirLagsAlot

Ok, my idea is a very stupid one. Try to enter a command into the command console affecting the lod distances, like 'renderer.minCulldistance 1000' or one of the commands affecting the staticmesh renderer. Note that there are also options for mesh display in the ''Render' menu which are worth trying out, like switching to wireframe display. Let me know if things change when using one of those commands and whats happening.

In case you're desperate zip up the map in question and give me an URL so that i can test it on my ( average ) machine running XP Home, SP3.

I recently tried out max7 and the BF2 tools. In the lightmapping utility there is an option to load a staticobjects.con. There is also an option to save a staticobjects.con. I haven't tested this functionality, but it would appear that you could adjust the positions of objects on your map using max. I know this isn't a solution to the problem in this thread, but perhaps for some it could be a workaround.

but it would appear that you could adjust the positions of objects on your map using max.

that's for lightmapping your statics in max instead of using the editor. i wouldn't recommend max for actual placement of static objects (if it can even be used that way at all)

If I knew anything about max I'd try it out and report back (I use maya). It would be extremely helpful to be able to align objects by their vertexes, don't ya think?

I deactivated anisotropic filtering in my nvidia graphic settings and now it works fine! For sure AA needs to be deactivated, too. :)

I'm pretty sure no one will ever go back and check this post like me after years (even doubt if there are still BF2 Mappers?)

but i just wanna share this here i got from other post:

"you can open up Photoshop, load a file, and then close it again. It's because it runs some DLL to do with mouse movement that the BF2 Editor is supposed to load but doesn't."