Official BF Editor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
damienlb

How Do I Make My Soldiers Like Transparent Ghosts

I got a mod i am making and i just need to make the existing bf2 soldiers (Default) look transparent like ghosts .....would i change the material to a different type?Plz help ...I' sure it can be done simply!

You need to know first how to work with Rexman's 'BF2Materials.EXE' CLI program. After mastering that you could try to apply an alpha shader to the soldier meshes. To make the soldier still look right it normally requires you to use one of the 'tangent' techniques as the soldier is a SkinnedMesh. Unfortunately there are no tangent techniques (to my knowledge ) with floating alpha, all i could find are techniques with hard 1-bit alpha :

ghillie_tangent_alpha_testAlpha_Test

ghillielod_ghillie_tangent_alpha_testAlpha_Test

tangent_alpha_test1Alpha_Test

But as your soldiers are only barely visible this might not be a big problem. You could probably use one of the bundledmesh techniques like 'AlphaEnvmap' . The opacity is controlled through the alpha channel of the main texture where black parts are more transparent than bright parts.

I downloaded the tools and it says "ERROR!!! Unable to load File: MaterialManagerDefine.con"

Ok? What am I doing wrong? I noticed no readme file with it.

Thanx, I do appreciate the help!

You are on the completely wrong track :blink: Don't try to tamper with the Material Setup of BF2 , this has nothing to do with transparent soldiers.

I am talking about the 'bf2materials.exe' program which lets you change properties inside mesh files (bundledmesh, skinnedmesh, staticmesh) .

Here's a small package containing the program and two batch files useful for dragging and dropping meshes onto them:

http://www.schoeldgen.de/bf1942/BF2Materials.zip

Edit the batch files to the location of the program and use 'GetBF2Materials.bat' to generate a txt file describing the properties of the mesh you dragged onto it.

Use 'ApplyBF2Materials.bat' force new properties on the mesh after editing the txt file with your new settings.

' date='07 April 2008 - 04:51 PM' timestamp='1207551093' post='75856']

You are on the completely wrong track :blink: Don't try to tamper with the Material Setup of BF2 , this has nothing to do with transparent soldiers.

I am talking about the 'bf2materials.exe' program which lets you change properties inside mesh files (bundledmesh, skinnedmesh, staticmesh) .

Here's a small package containing the program and two batch files useful for dragging and dropping meshes onto them:

http://www.schoeldgen.de/bf1942/BF2Materials.zip

Edit the batch files to the location of the program and use 'GetBF2Materials.bat' to generate a txt file describing the properties of the mesh you dragged onto it.

Use 'ApplyBF2Materials.bat' force new properties on the mesh after editing the txt file with your new settings.

Can I take you out on a date? ;D

I understood from the get go with my own project that i'd probably need to use alphaenvmap but I had no idea how to add it without having to construct the soldier mesh and export it.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Elemental