Official BF Editor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
simon.blom

Need Help To Create A Pirate Ship In Maya 6.0.1.

Yeah......

But I need help with the modeling things to the ship.

I can do "boxes" and some easy things but I cant do advanced things like modeling a hull to my ship.

So please, help me with the modeling part......

Maybe you have some good tutorials or maybe can help me in another way. You guys is got at modeling, I ...... really suck!

So please help, maybe you have some good tips for modeling and giving shapes and that stuff.

//// simon.blom

Box modelling is a good start. Make a box with roughly the size of the hull and a lot of length segments and a few heigth segments. . By dragging vertices you can now approach the shape of the hull with the box. Its a time consuming business but nobody in this forum claimed that modelling is simple. Especially ships can drive you mad as they don't have a single straight edge. :blink:

A very good help is to put blueprints of the ship as background pictures in your modelling program but i can't tell how that is done in Maya.

I have made a box now in my ships size.

But I don't now how to shape this box so I get a hull of a pirate ship.

I dont even now how to make more "vertices" to a box so I can shape the back and front.

I also need help with "rounded sides" on the ships sides! :P

Please help!!!

//// simon.blom

Google... Maya tutorials... ready... go

jeez Catbox, i was waiting to see how many posts it would take to talk him through it click-by-click, because that's where it seemed to be heading, heh

simon, you picked a real doozy trying to make a pirate ship in Maya for BF2 - the logical sequence of events would be:

1. - learn to model to a reasonably advanced skill level

2. - learn to unwrap and texture well (if you plan on doing your own)

3. - study the requirements of BF2 vehicles, poly-counts, and exporting

4. - build and paint your pirate ship within the above limitations for BF2

5. - export and code

to try and jump in head first straight into the most complex stuff is admirable but utterly insane, and very few people would have the patience to talk you through it from start to end, if indeed you yourself didn't quit partway through the project. building stuff for BF2 can be rewarding, but it can also be very very frustrating and off-putting

jeez Catbox, i was waiting to see how many posts it would take to talk him through it click-by-click, because that's where it seemed to be heading, heh

simon, you picked a real doozy trying to make a pirate ship in Maya for BF2 - the logical sequence of events would be:

5. - export and code

to try and jump in head first straight into the most complex stuff is admirable but utterly insane, and very few people would have the patience to talk you through it from start to end, if indeed you yourself didn't quit partway through the project. building stuff for BF2 can be rewarding, but it can also be very very frustrating and off-putting

Exactly, trying to jump right into modeling a pirate ship is going to drive you mad Simon. Get yourself some tutorials and learn how to use the tools in Maya, this is how most modders learn to model. Start simple and work your way up to something more complex like a car. Then, you might be ready to start something like a pirate ship.

I have made a box now in my ships size.

But I don't now how to shape this box so I get a hull of a pirate ship.

I dont even now how to make more "vertices" to a box so I can shape the back and front.

I also need help with "rounded sides" on the ships sides!

Ok, I will try by my self and find some tutorials on internet and google....

But, Please help with this three questions:

1. How can I make more "vertices" to a box so I can shape the back and front.

2. I also need help with "rounded sides" on the ships sides.

3. When the model is ready, does the model have to be one piece or can it be more pieces?

If yes, how do I connect pieces? ( with pices I mean hull, front,back, sides deck and other details).

Thanks for the help guys. :)

/// simon.blom B)B)

Edited by simon.blom

1. You can do that directly when you create a box. Just increase the amount of Length/Width/Height Segs. When you edit the box with the Editable Poly mode, you can use "Cut" to put new edges in (I need this tool very often). You can also add vertices manually with "Insert Vertex", but you can do more with "Cut". If you have too many vertices, just "Remove" them (or weld), but do not hit the del key.

2. What exactly? Btw, I would not start with a box :blink: That's way too much work (I'm pretty lazy^^). I'd use a cylinder instead, since it already has a round shape. With a bit more Height Segments you can form it like a hull. The top of the cylinder would be the deck then.

3. Attach everything that is not flexible ingame later. Example: If you would build a modern ship, you wouldn't attach the rotary radar thing on top, because if you would attach it to the main object, it couldn't rotate anymore. You can attach things with the "Attach" button :P Then either click on every single object or do attach list (in editable mesh mode or the window button right to "attach" in edit poly mode). In the list choose your models. You can also weld things which belong together (I would weld the deck and the hull for example, but when you build hull and deck with a box/cylinder they are already combined).

It's very complicated to explain that all. I'd suggest that you should read some beginner tutorials first. Here a link to a tutorial site for almost every program: http://www.pixel2life.com

Btw: I've seen too late that you are using maya xP Anyway, since it's from the same company, it shouldn't differ that much. But all terms I mentioned are for Max (I'd use Max instead of Maya anyway, since most BF2 tutorials and stuff are for Max only).

Ok, I'll start with the hull and the decks.

Thanks a lot for the help.... ;)

Can I just do one canon for my ship and then copy it, so I don't have to make someting like 30 canons?

I can post some pictures of my modeling process so you guys can se if I have done something wrong or if you have any comments. B)

/// simon.blom

ps. How do you do so you have a picture after your post (the "picture" with the text "Tha Godfather") ?

Edited by simon.blom

Its called a "signature" - click the My Controls button top right and you can upload a pic there. Dont make it too big though...

Thanks for the help.

Nice picture I have now, isn't it?

I soon will post some pictures of the modelling procces with the ship.

See you. ;)

I've done basic shapes to my ship now, such as sides, front, back and first deck.But I need tips of how to make four things in an easy way:

1:How can I make stairs (not ladders) in an easy way? Best to use polygons, cylinders, planes or something other?

2:How can I make "sail poles" and sails in an easy way? Mayby can I use very small and long cylinders? If I should use planes to the sails, how can I make so the sails get some rounded shape and can get "different much rounded" ingame?

3: How can I make the railing to the ship sides?

4: How can I make the canon-holes, on the ships side where the canons stick out?

tn2_pirates_of_the_caribbean_at_worlds_end_2.jpg

Please help..... :P:lol:

Please Help!

I now that I have to find help in Maya tutorials but this I can't find in any tutorial.....

So please help!!

btw. I soon post some pictures of my model. I've used 7 cylinders and 10 polygons.

Edited by simon.blom

I've done basic shapes to my ship now, such as sides, front, back and first deck.But I need tips of how to make four things in an easy way:

1:How can I make stairs (not ladders) in an easy way? Best to use polygons, cylinders, planes or something other?

2:How can I make "sail poles" and sails in an easy way? Mayby can I use very small and long cylinders? If I should use planes to the sails, how can I make so the sails get some rounded shape and can get "different much rounded" ingame?

3: How can I make the railing to the ship sides?

4: How can I make the canon-holes, on the ships side where the canons stick out?

Hello?????????

:blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:

5. - export and code

Why don't you try some tutorials first? We can't explain you anything, as already posted.

Hello?????????

:blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:

The forums aren't here to teach you how to use a 2000 dollar piece of software that you presumably bought which should also contain documentation on how to use.

As i already mentioned more than once in this thread , you're much on your own when using Maya . Most of my fellow modders prefer 3DSMax for its superior import/export capabilities and the versatile BF2 tools we have for it.

So no help from e.g. me as i'm a Max user, too :P

As i already mentioned more than once in this thread , you're much on your own when using Maya . Most of my fellow modders prefer 3DSMax for its superior import/export capabilities and the versatile BF2 tools we have for it.

So no help from e.g. me as i'm a Max user, too :P

Well... I'm one of the Maya users and have purposely stuck with 6.0.1 just for bf2 modding. I spent about 2 solid years working on my mod in Maya, and still work on it from time to time, and also have my MEL script tools that I built to significantly improve the import/export workflow from Maya to bf2editor. I don't frequent the boards much anymore only because I've moved on to other projects (which I'm still using Maya for). I don't mind offering help for bf2-related Maya questions, but a lot of the Maya threads on this board are "Please help! How do I use Maya?" Well, "RTFM."

The way I see it, this kid has no patience to learn the software required to build a mod. You'd think that dropping 2000 bucks for a piece of software that you'd learn how to use it instead of asking people on a forum how to use it. By the time you finish a model of a pirate ship, when will it be, August 2008? November 2008? That's one pirate ship. You want to make a mod based on a movie trilogy and Disneyland ride, what amount of content are you going to make so that it matches that? Models, animations, textures, sounds? How long will all of that take? How long will pirate ship #2 take? December 2008? Feb 2009? By then, Bad Company will be out and BF3 will probably be around the corner. Do you have permission to use those copyrights? Do you have a solid plan if you do succeed with this mod, if Disney decides to take legal action against you for using their intellectual property? What's your timeline? What's your plan? How much time to develop? Playtest? I guarantee you this kid will give up and move onto something else before or soon after he finishes the pirate ship. Sorry to dash dreams, but reality is harsh sometimes.

Edited by a2k

Hey Simon... you could d/l our BF Pirates 2 mod and make maps with it... we have a bunch of ships already done... and all kinds of piratey goodness...lol

Hey Simon... you could d/l our BF Pirates 2 mod and make maps with it... we have a bunch of ships already done... and all kinds of piratey goodness...lol

That's a more realistic option.

Im thinking i might just donate you a finished pirate ship model - we can then go through this whole thing again as you try to learn to create textures in photoshop and god forbid UV map.

Would it be mean to point out that the modelling part is the easiest bit?

Im thinking i might just donate you a finished pirate ship model - we can then go through this whole thing again as you try to learn to create textures in photoshop and god forbid UV map.

Would it be mean to point out that the modelling part is the easiest bit?

No, it would be realistic. I don't mind texturing either, but UV mapping is so laborious, no matter what 3d package you're using. I've build my Maya scripts to help with this as much as I can though.

for sure, moddeling is the easiest bit - UVing isnt particularly hard although doing it well is a skill in itself - its just horrible and takes for ever, and texturing is absolutely skillful.