Official BF Editor Forums
markbrow10

Adding Ladders To Models

Hello

I have maya and I have started making models for BF2 for starters i have made a woodern pallisade with a lookout tower just want to know how do you add ladders from the game

Thanks

Mark

you can use the ladders from BF2 for your custom object... just place them as a static object up against your model... make sure the ladder is straight up and down... no angle or the soldier will look weird climbing it...

you can also make your own custom ladder... and give it a material that will allow climbing...(i believe...lol)

someone will know more and post i'm sure...

Basically there are two options with a possible third one:

1. Add a ladder from BF2 to your static in the editor. This will only work when you export your tower as 'Bundle' as you cannot add children to a 'SimpleObject' . This is the preferred way as you can still allow mappers to 'Disable Children' for that static if they don't want the ladder.

2. Include a custom made ladder into your export scene. This should be exported as '__Ladder' object and carry the ladder material (6600) in its col2 . You will still need to add that ladder to the tower in the editor.

3. model the ladder into the tower export scene and give it a col2 material of 6600 (later in the editor) . This might not work, though and i didn't test it yet.

Find hints about exporting a 'Bundle' in the hierachy help thread here:

http://bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=5013

Edited by mschoeldgen[Xww2]

Hey there,

Those ladders are really bugging me... <_<

I made a custom ladder for our BR52 train, but now guess what, it's not working ingame (you can't climb it).

I think I made a mistake somewhere during the export. I don't know if it's going to work with a "SimpleObject" ladder, but when I export it as "__LadderObject", the editor can't read the files and therefore doesn't display the ladder folder in the Resources menu. Also, I didn't put the ladder into the tender export scene, but made separately.

However, the ladder itself carries the ladder material (only on col2):

th_ladder1.jpg th_ladder2.jpg

Any hints for a ladder greenhorn? :D

Have you tried __Ladder instead of __LadderObject?!

Check out an exisiting ladder like:

staticobjects\common\com_objects\ladder_10m

Edited by mccae

Yep, that worked, thanks :)

Now I only need to fix this lol:

th_br52ladder3.jpg

(I placed the ladder a bit off, because I thought the tender col2 might prevent that I can touch the ladder col2). I can only climb the right side up, front or backside does not work :D I guess I just need to turn the ladder trough 90° in max as you face the right side of it when you switch to front-view.

Yeah, there seems to be a lot of hardcoding in ladders . For our ships i used the imported model of a vanilla ladder to get the orientation right and then added my col2 planes acording to that orientation. Some hints: Make the col2 so that it pops out at the top and the player is able to touch it when trying to climb *down* on it. If the ladder stays in place when you move the vehicle give it a 'hasMobilePhysics 1' ( that solved the problem for me )

The material 'ladder_back' (6601, isn't it ? ) doesn't seem to have a use and i was never able to create a single ladder which you can climb from both sides. You need to assemble two ladders back to back to achieve this. Use the editor's capabilities to render collisionmeshes to find out more about ladders.

Edited my misleading objectname to be correct as '__Ladder' in my older post . I'm sorry if that caused problems :(

Edited by mschoeldgen[Xww2]