Official BF Editor Forums

I Have Completed The Model But How Do I Do All The Naming

rhysm_08

If I don't know can some one do all the naming and stuff???

I am a real noob at 3ds max and modding so can some one maybe teach specificly how to do it all?

Here are the source files.

SendSpace link

'Lambo_BF2_222' has the car with every body piece on one layer exept for the wheels and the windows using the modify elements so it can be different textures

'Lambo_BF2' has most of the files on different layers

'lamborghini murcielago "lp640_withoutdriver' is the original model without the driver

The textures are in the folder. That's right textures not texture (does that make a differnece)

A car is just about the hardest thing to export for bf2, i guess only a tank has a more complex heirarchy. But you really should try to do it yourself.

Thanks to mschoeldgen we've got a whole thread dedicated to the heriarchies needed for every kind of game asset. (full thread here) But heres the car one from that thread...

dodgehier.jpg

So breaking this down...

First off anything beginning, root, geom, lod or nonvis is just a helper or dummy object. If you use the POE tools some of these will be created for you, you can then create the rest or copy them. Basically they just tell the exporter whats coming next - what each bit of the model does what etc.

Secondly, where part names include __xxx its telling the exporter how to handle the part. __PlayerControlObjet is needed for the main part of the vehicle in every lod of each geom, __RotationalBundle means that later on you can set up rotation around the pivot in x,y or z (or a combination) which is necessary for doors and wheels etc. Make sure the pivot for these is in the correct position within the mesh. __Engine is obvious and __spring is needed for the wheels so that they have dampning (sp???) and sit on the ground.

So, we have three basic parts - geom0, geom1 and geom2.

geom0

Geom 0 is the first person view, basically for this car its just the inside of the car - the dashboard etc. There are two parts, the main dashboard etc mesh (dodge__PlayerControlObject) and the steering wheel which is a seperate mesh so that it can rotate (dodgesteering__RotationalBundle). It all sits in the lod0 (which is the highest Level of Detail). The first person mesh doesnt need any lower LOD's as you'll always be up close to it in the first person.

geom1

Geom 1 is the main part of the vehicle - the third person view. This time its broken up into three lods, lod0, lod1 and lod2. These are decreasing level of details and they get swapped out automatically by the game in order to save poly count. To start with you can forget lod1 and lod2 as these are easily created once lod1 is finalized. It will work in game with only a lod0.

The first two items are named the same as in geom0 except now the dodge__PlayerControlObject will be the full car mesh (minus doors, wheels etc) not just the internals. This part now also has colision meshes, col0, col1 and col2. To get started you can use an exact replica of the mesh but they need to be simplified, maybe even just a box or so later.

Because the steering wheel is the first child object in the geom0 it needs to be the first in the geom1 as well - hence why the other meshes have a z in their name.

Next up is the engine, which can be either a mesh or a dummy (i think) but importantly all the wheels need to be attached to them. The engine tells the wheels to turn around, hence why the rear wheels don't need __RotationalBundle just __Spring. The dodge_navFL__RotationalBundle (and .._navFR__...) actually allow the front wheels to turn left and right rather than rotate.

The colision meshes for wheels are more complex and i would turn to mschoeldgen's airplane tut (http://bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9229) for that. Maybe just have the springs immediately attached to the engine first and then worry about inserting the left/right turn later.

With complex assets like this its often best to get its simply working first and worry later, especially if your not used to exporting these things.

And thats its, with the car body, steering wheel, engine and four wheels the car is done. Lod1 and 2 can be created later using the clone with childs tool.

geom2

This is the wreck model so just needs one mesh (dodge__PlayerControlObject) with cols. For the time being just use the main mesh of the car.

That probably still seems complicated, maybe even more so, but it really isnt. If you try to do it i'll help you through it bit by bit as im sure others will, where as you'll probably be ignored if you just expect other to do it for you. Make sure you have the POE extended tools as well as they can take some of the repetitive tasks out of your hands.

Personally i always get the heirarchy for goem1 lod 0 done and then clone that for lods and geom0 and sometimes geom2.

Oh and yes textures are ok, although if you want more than one texture applied to the same mesh you need to use a multisub material.

Edited by PiratePlunder

Thanks to Pirate Plunder for the detailed explanantion of my Dodge truck, hehehe !

Some more hints: the engine needs to be a mesh , a dummy won't do here. Make it a single face or polygon and sink it into the hull of your car , best place it where the real engine would be (useful for the engine sounds later on when tweaking)

The navigational 'RotationalBundles' for the front wheels should be meshes , too (again a single faced mesh will do ) and be positioned in the spot where you want your front wheels to turn around.

The hierachy thread mentioned by PiratePlunder also contains help on creating the heirachy, wile the plane tutorial also mentiones creation of lod models and how to make your wheels' collisionmeshes.

This should help you getting your export right.

Edited by mschoeldgen[Xww2]

I took a quick look at your lambo - you've got some issues to work out with the model.

You need to apply some smoothing groups to the model.

The steering wheel object includes the steering wheel column, that needs to be detached and added to the main car mesh otherwise it will rotate as the steering wheel does. Other than that the parts are good. For the two front wheels you could detach the disc brakes etc from the main mesh to use for the nav rotationalbundles.

Textures, its not obvious what textures you're using theres about 40 of them in the archive which is of course too many but the model is calling a texture not included - is that a combination of the others? They need to be .dds as well.

I thought the steering wheel had to be a seperate layer. I tried to make it myselft using the wizard for the car that generate lods but it only did three wheels so I had to make the rest myself. After constint editing, I made it but when I exported it (and turned all the textures into .dds and made a texture that was black so it could be a picture and used BF2 bundle mesh), It said error in BF2Editor and closed down.

So I need a little help this is my first time. I followed the bf2 tutorials and I actually imported the car but i was wondering how could I import my car with windows and steering wheels.

How do I smooth it???

And how do I detatch the brake disks for a rotational bundle? I found out how to attach

By the way I used accu trans 3d to attach and used editible mesh and element when I found out you could attach it and leave the texture

Wasted so much time using accu.

One last thing, how do I put all the textures into one file and texurize it differently?

I am a real noob so I need some help

These are quite a few questions :blink: which show me that you should probably get more accustomed to the modelling program. Smoothing groups are done by selecting the faces (polygons) by collecting them (with the Ctrl key in Max ) and then selecting a smoothing group in the face rollout.

What do you mean by 'seperate Layer' for the steering wheel ? The steering wheel is a mesh alright which you should parent to the main body . Adjust its pivot so that one axis of the pivot follows the steering column . Later in the editor you tell the steering wheel around which axis to turn.

The process of having all textures for the car in one sheet and then 'map' the 3D object onto the 2D texture is called 'unwrapping' the UVW's.

Most guys here use the 'flatten mapping' option in Max and a tool called 'Texporter' to create a template for texturing.

Again, there are tutorials here and on the net to learn that .

What is 'accu' ? All i can tell is that you don't need an addfitional tool to adjust the hierachy of your model, its all done with Max's built-in stuff. The hierachy help thread explains the usage of those.

Detaching is done by selecting the e.g. element you want to detach from a mesh by selecting the mesh and opening the element rollout. Select the element and then press the 'Detach' button in the rollout. You will be asked for a name for the mesh and if this should generate a clone of the selection or detach the selection itself. Uncheck the 'Detach as Clone' give it a name and then 'OK' that .

Accu Trans 3d is a small program that can convert most 3d files. I used it to flatten the layers.

Cool, so that's how you detach.

The steering wheel is a seperate layer as in you have body, steering, tires that's what I mean.

How do I ajust it to the parent is that through the open sceptimic view and connect?

How do I ajust the pivot, is that just rotating it in a steering wheel type way?

Last question

So where can I find UVW tutorials?? are they on the sight under a catogory?

O.k. you got me here. I'm still confused about your 'layers' which is a term i didn't encounter in Max yet. Also your 'sceptimic ' view confuses me :blink:

The hiearchy of the model is built using the 'Select and Link' tool in Max. You select a mesh , press the 'Select and Link' button and then choose a parent in the selection window. E.g. the rear wheels are children of the engine , as are the front rotational bundles. The front wheels in turn are children of those rotational bundles.

The 'classic' among UVW tutorials is still the one on waylon-art :

http://www.waylon-art.com/uvw_tutorial/uvwtut_01.html

In our own section we also have some help on this:

Shipwreck elaborates on the classic way of uvmapping ( and refers to the tutorial by Waylon ) :

http://bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4380

this tutorial describes a way of uvmapping using existing textures, which is the preferred way to make statics using texture pallets ( collections)

http://bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4556

schematic view is where you link the files as well here's a screenshot

sceptimaticviewcg5.jpg

Im used to talking in picture talk not 3d talk so when I mean layer I mean object here I have selected 2 "layers"

layerisobjectus1.jpg

Oh and how do I make Vista open dds files, when I go to texturize an imported hmmwv I go to textuize it but when I locate the dds texture file and select it, it says that it can't render the direct 3d thing and it cancells. So I think i would have to switch computers to my xp one but i want to know how to do it for vista.

Edited by Catbox

Installing the 'Windows Texture Viewer' from NVidia should helpyou in seeing DDS files. Its available at NV's developer site:

http://developer.nvidia.com

I have no idea , though if it works with Mr. Gates latest 'operating' system ;)

You should switch on the 'Display Subtree' option in the selection window. This will give you the hierachic view seen in my screenshots in the hierachy help thread. It makes parenting much easier as you don't need the 'Schematic View' (thats what its called :P ) then and don't need to toggle the displays.

just to add to the confusion..lol.

the maximum amount of mesh parts is 26,the exporter will fail if more....so youve got some polies to delete,and some attatching and welding to do.

a car has 6 main parts,4 wheels,a hull and a steering wheel,in total that will use 9 netwrokables,1 for the hull,1 for steering wheel,4 for wheels and 2 for nav rotationals...oh and 1 for the engine.

Edited by BEEX

... a Lamborghini will probably use one networkable info for the ego :P j/k

@PiratePlunder: No, never used those layers yet :huh: But i have exported dozens of vehicles in the meantime and i could manage without them, hehehe . But i'll dig in the Max Reference for them and will learn it all, promised.

So how exactly would I make a rotational bund. It would be easier if someone posted a video tutorial using a recorder like Camtasia studio because it is kinda confusing. Update: I have practically uv unwrapped the whole thing. Only the wheels and misc parts are left!!! :):P

Your rotational bundle is just a seperate object in the scene, linked as described above. I think you're beyond that right? To set it up as a rotational bundle you just need to put the '__RotationalBundle' at the end of the object name. (Note the 2 _'s) This wont do anything in max but when you come to export it the exporter will pick up that you want it be a rotationalbundle and assign the exported geometrythe correct properties - you dont need to do anything.

Then when you look at the object in the editor you'll be able to set how the part rotates - direction, speed, acceleration etc. If thats where you're at we can tell you whats what there.

Back in max though the other thing you need to do is make sure that the pivot for the rotational bundle is in the correct spot, For a wheel, effect pivot only --> centre pivot in object is all you need to do.

Update: I have completetly UV unwrapped the vehicle on one texure style sheet of 1024 x 1024. Now I am using Poe's utilities and I want to know how do I generate lods, cols and all that with this Finished model It looks almost identicle to the other one :P:)

You can download it here if you want (.max 7 not .zip)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/nskqvt

And the style sheet is here

murcibf2gh8.png

I finished the model completely but when I export it, It gives it a folder but no .con file. It one meshes folder with nothing inside aswell.

So this texture is located at C:\Program Files\Ea Games\Battlefield 2\Mods\MyMod\Objects\Vehicles\Land\Lambo_Murci\Textures\

Lambo_Murci_c.png\

I could only make it a png because vista doen't support .dds

Could someone download my model, put the texture in the right spot, make the "Whole thing" texture the dds file instead?

Here is the dds file

http://www.sendspace.com/file/w46psr

Your model not exporting points to a UV channel problem. Check that your model only has a channel 1 in all its meshes. This can be done with the help of the 'Channel Info' window. Select the meshes of your model (either all of them together or one by one ) and open the channel info under the 'Tools' menu in Max. Browse the lines for an entry of a map channel higher than 1 and clear it ( select its line and press the 'clear' button in this window )

Make sure that all your meshes only have map channel 1 . You are free to collapse the 'UVClear' modifiers which have appeared on your meshes . Now try to export again.

Vista and XP both don't support DDS textures by themselves. You should install both WTV ( which is a small program to check mipmaps, DXT format and alpha channel for DDS's ) and 'nvdxt' , a small CLI driven program to convert all kinds of texture formats to DDS. With the help of a few drag&drop batches this program becomes very helpful for quick conversions.

Both utilities can be found at NVidia's developer site :

http://developer.nvidia.com

Always make sure you don't accidently erase channel 1 , this holds your real uvmap!

Edited by mschoeldgen[Xww2]

No in my XP computer, when I select a dds file for a texture it shows up but when I go to do it in vista, it says error creating direct 3d device or something and how do I set all objects to one chanel. I believe that's my problem though

Cant help with the vista, but for the channel 1 thing... do as msch said clearly in the last post.

Select the meshes of your model (either all of them together or one by one ) and open the channel info under the 'Tools' menu in Max. Browse the lines for an entry of a map channel higher than 1 and clear it ( select its line and press the 'clear' button in this window )

Make sure that all your meshes only have map channel 1 . You are free to collapse the 'UVClear' modifiers which have appeared on your meshes . Now try to export again.

Always make sure you don't accidently erase channel 1 , this holds your real uvmap!