Official BF Editor Forums

Help Making Kits And Weapons

quesoesbueno59

Ok, I have started to make a mod of my own which changes some aspects of the game I would like to see changed. One of those is an Anti-Air kit. First, I don't know how to make a new kit. And second, I don't know how to make a new weapon. Any help would be very appreciated. And while I'm here, how do I get my mod to load all resources every time it starts instead of having to do it by hand. It just loads Vegetation all the time.

Edited by quesoesbueno59

To create a new weapon you will need a program like Maya, 3DS Max or gmax. These 3D modelling programs are supported with a tool set to export models to the BF2 engine.

To include more objects into your mod, create empty folders in your /mods/<MyMod>/objects folder which can then later be included by the Mod Manager in the BF2 Editor. E.g. to have the weapons in the content create an empty /objects/weapons folder .

Now launch the BF2 Editor with your mod and open the Mod Manager. Go to Mod content and check the newly available 'weapons' checkbox.

Repeat the process to have more objects, like /staticobjects , /vehicles , /soldiers, /kits and so on.

To create a new weapon you will need a program like Maya, 3DS Max or gmax. These 3D modelling programs are supported with a tool set to export models to the BF2 engine.

To include more objects into your mod, create empty folders in your /mods/<MyMod>/objects folder which can then later be included by the Mod Manager in the BF2 Editor. E.g. to have the weapons in the content create an empty /objects/weapons folder .

Now launch the BF2 Editor with your mod and open the Mod Manager. Go to Mod content and check the newly available 'weapons' checkbox.

Repeat the process to have more objects, like /staticobjects , /vehicles , /soldiers, /kits and so on.

Thanks. One more question: How do I get around to adding the actual objects to the folders?

You export the objects with the 3d program and then for example an M4 you would make the model or find one on the internet, then you would export it to a folder and find that folder. foldername/weapons/Handheld/Usrif_M4/Usrif_M4.con then after the mod you've made go to

C:\Program Files\Ea games\Battlefield 2\mods\MODNAME\Objects\Weapons\Handheld\ and paste the folder there.

You should export a model into the mod's /objects folder or into the /rawData folder in the /bf2editor folder.

The reason for that is that BF2 can't load textures from any directory but only the mod's folders ( your own and the bf2 mod )

if you have your textures in a different place than those the texture pathes ( which are coded into the mesh files ) point to a wrong ( non-working ) location.

Browse our tutorial section for creating models and setting up the materials ( textures )

Wow. People here are pretty helpful. But I'm still a little confused. Does anyone know a good place where I can download already made weapons? And after that's settled, we can get to putting the weapon in my mod. And later making the AA kit.

You say,you want to make an anti ait kit,i assume you want that kit to contain a weapon that can take down a jet or chopper

If so,why not use a default BF2 weapon (slightly modified) and place it in your newly created aa kit

Its quite easy to clone and rename the chat eryx or predator,and allow it to fire an antiair missile,then within the weapons tweak file,you can adjust it to be as effective as you want,projectile/hud/lock on properties/projectile pitch,yaw etc

Just a thought

A fine and very useful weapon would perhaps be a shoulder mounted SAM to get rid of these choppers and jets :P Modifying the ERYX for a Sidewinder projectile could be a good exercise without the need for modelling anything (its all there already ) and a good start to learn tweaking such stuff.

A fine and very useful weapon would perhaps be a shoulder mounted SAM to get rid of these choppers and jets :P Modifying the ERYX for a Sidewinder projectile could be a good exercise without the need for modelling anything (its all there already ) and a good start to learn tweaking such stuff.

Wonderful. I might try just putting that factions AA missile into their AT weapon. I've put a Sidewinder into a M4 before and it locked onto jets and choppers automatically, so there might not be that much work involved.

If youre new to messing with weapons, the best way to make a new template is actually to pillage off of a weapon that works similarly. For what weapons go it what kits - start digging around in the /objects/kits folder and see what looks familiar. [Con/tweak files can be opened in any text editor such as Notepad btw].

I'd rather recommend to change an existing kit else you need to edit the map's init.con for a new kitname.

To do that extract the kit's .con in question from objects_server.zip/kits/<TEAM>/ to a folder /objects/kits/<TEAM>/<Kitname> in your mod . Typical names for those files are 'USMC_Assault.con', 'USMC_Support.con' and so on for the US Team.

This file will overlay the original kit setup. You're now free to alter the weapon setup in it. You only need to make sure that the weapons in it all have their unique index ( aka Selection Key) so that there's no slot occupied by two or more weapons.

The vanilla setup uses e.g. knives in index 1 , smallarms have index 2 and the primary weapon is index 3.

The index for a weapon can be found in the weapon's tweak file . Look for a line 'objectTemplate.itemIndex N' , where N stands for the index number.

Edited by mschoeldgen[Xww2]

I don't care what program you use for extracting :P The major thing is that the extracted files needs to go into the same place like in the BF2 structure but in your mod.

If the file should overlay something in the parent mod (BF2) it needs to sit in the same place in your mod and thats the important thing.

In contrary to most other game engines, in the BF2 world a file which is loaded first takes precedence over a file loaded later ('Setting existing one as active' ) . If you examine your serverarchives.con you will find that your mod files are loaded first and after that the parent mod files.