Official BF Editor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SirCommandant

Effect With Static Particles?

Hi!

I want to make an effect of a colapsing woodfence.

First I used the tweakfile of the exploding barrel of vanilla but my fence part are flying in the air with this settings.

Can some tell me how to make an(working) effect of a collapsing fence?

I should look like the effect of the trafficlight of vanilla.

greetz

SirCommandant

That can be tricky, especially if you plan to have a wreck model of th fence, too. Your collapsing effect should contain parts of the fence as particles , like the destruction effects from BF2 (found in /effects/impacts/destruction )

The tricky part is to spawn the particles as part of the destruction effect so that they seamlessly 'bridge' the destruction of the fence between the healthy geometry and the the wrecked fence.

You should perhaps first model the fence itself and clone some of its parts to be exported as particles. If you have all stuff in the same scene ( fence, fence-wreck and the particles) it might work best to fit them together and make it looking good. .

So is tossing off geometry in an emitter pretty easy? Cuz it seems like a lot of stuff they planned on blowing up was bridges... I come across old stagnant code or odd icons and stuff when Im looking around, and anyways wound up putting some of that in armor effects on our ships recently. Right - cuz some of them bridges blow planks out in all directions - to the day I still crack up seeing that stuff fly off a vessel Im pumping cannonballs into. But I always wonder about making my own particles for that same purpose. Cuz every now and then you catch the odd spare tire coming rolling past (which makes me laugh harder but anyay). Any special setup on those hierarchies or can you emit just any ol mesh and the devil is in the emitter properties?

Yep its suprisingly easy, its just a very simple geom heirarchy that you point to in the effect tweak, i can send you my dolphin (which is the same) if you want, but the heirarchy is as simple as can be = just cant remember off the top of my hat. Getting the tweak set up so it acts the way you want is fiddly but nothing complex.

If you ever exported a 'SimpleObject' there's nothing more easy than to export a 'Particle' . The hierachy is exactly the same , its only that you add a '__Particle' string instead of the '__SimpleObject' string at the end of your mesh name.

Particles , though don't need anything but a geom0 tree.

I add colmeshes to my particles although idk if its strictly necessary . Look at a few emitters from the destruction effects and use your own particles ( i mostly save mine to /effects/meshes ) in the templates.