Official BF Editor Forums

Community Flamethrower

PiratePlunder

Based on what has been discussed in a seperate thread I've thrown together this weapon. Its really a mix of peoples suggestions and ideas, but as far as im concerned its here for anyone to play with, modify or use in a mod. Just don't claim it as your own.

Anyway, thanks really go to CTZ for suggesting the use of AP mines in order to be awarded the points for kills and theres an effect in there from the BF:A guys.

Flamethrower Includes:

• Flamethrower model - from turbo squid which i know is lame but i couldn't be bothered to model, uv and texture a new one
  • Fully automatic flamer releases three (invisible) ap mines for each shot
  • Mines / Flames stick to floor, walls, trees, vehicles, commander assets - you get the idea
  • Flames go out when mine triggered or after 40 seconds
  • Can be used as a gun in close combat if you hit the enemy with the projectiles
  • Flamethrower overheats after ten rounds of auto fire (25% of a gas canister)
  • Damages / kills both people and vehicles, commander assets etc
  • Is a whole lot of fun - for a while at least

Known / Possible Issues:

• Haven't been able to test it on a dedicated server. Yep thats a big one.
  • Pilotlight persists when using vehicles weapon, dead etc
  • AI do hold the flamethrower and use it but not very often
  • No normal map on the model
  • Model was got from turbosquid - i may redo the model if i have time
  • Animations arent great, just using some stock bf2 ones - i may redo them if i have time
  • No hud images etc - i can provide them but then you have to remake the atlases etc.
  • May lag a lot

Download Now

flamethrower.jpg

Edited by PiratePlunder

• 2 weeks later...

Thank You! I was just about to start this from the code you gave on other thread, even found the model on TS. Glad I did a search for antipersonnel mines, lol. Great job, far better on the use of existing animation than I could have done. Model looks a heck of a lot better than the 203, even if it look like it sorta belongs in a future game. Who cares! The only thing I have experienced in my testing is the pilot light you pointed out, and that is if I have the weapon selected when I jump into a vehicle. I keep mine indexed to 2 and use the P90 for main weapon.

Again, great job, thank you and appreciate the effort of your work!

• 2 weeks later...

Pirate,

I have wondered if you have considered the 'stream' effect on the flame. I have noticed that when you fire the weapon all you see is a huge fire flash and it has a tendency to spray back on the user rather than the intended target, thus killing yourself. Of course this is in tight quarters. Is there a way to add a stream effect and add to the range (not much). what I'm trying to say is the 1p view needs the stream to help in directing the fire, the generic cross hair gets lost in the flame as the 'spread' is wide. A tight stream to the target zone would be nice.... maybe incorporate the oiltower_fire to add some 'oil' texture to the flame. Another thought is, is there a way to add a 'stick to Ai' template. I have tried this with other flame weapons I made, but not much success. Maybe you know of a way. I have had success with ObjectTemplate.collision.stickToVehicles 1 and ObjectTemplate.collision.stickToTerrain 1.

Again, thanks for the new toy! It's lots of fun.

PS: you can get the bots to use the weapon more by decreasing the range factor in the weapons AI: weaponTemplate.minRange 10.0 weaponTemplate.maxRange 50.0 and increase the temp on infantry: weaponTemplate.setStrength Infantry 5. remember, I have my flamer indexed on 2, so the range was set to make the bots 'think' they are using a pistol.

Edited by Al B. Bach

I have my flamer indexed on 2, so the range was set to make the bots 'think' they are using a pistol.

I always thought the range was controlled by the distance in each weapons AI file

Are you mistaking that, and thinking a pistol, with a short range is controlled by the item index # ?

Therefore thinking any weapon at #2 will only be used in close range

I always thought the range was controlled by the distance in each weapons AI file

Are you mistaking that, and thinking a pistol, with a short range is controlled by the item index # ?

Therefore thinking any weapon at #2 will only be used in close range

No, you are right... it is the weapons AI file. I didn't explain very well, nor in a clear fashion. Had a long day and I was tired.

Let me try again. Taking the weapons AI 'from' the flamer, I wanted the bots to use/draw that weapon in a close range situation. I then changed the min/max ranges of the file drawing from the pistol AI. Referencing the pistol only in 'range' and saying that it is what is indexed to 2, which was bad and confusing on my part, was meaning to say that the bots use the weapon in a closer range than what was set for the primary weapon at 72 for the flamer at 3. I gave the flamer to my engineer kit and use the MP7 as the primary. I then gave the flamer as a replacement for the shotgun, which was 2 for my mod, for that close and personal touch with a similar pistol AI. Hope that clears it up..... maybe.... I'm tired. :huh:

You mean remove completely? For me, when I did that the bots wouldn't use it at all.

I changed to this:

rem ---BeginComp:DefaultCollisionComp ---

ObjectTemplate.createComponent DefaultCollisionComp

ObjectTemplate.collision.bouncing 1

ObjectTemplate.collision.maxStickAngle 180

ObjectTemplate.collision.stickToStaticObjects 1

ObjectTemplate.collision.stickToVehicles 1

ObjectTemplate.collision.stickToTerrain 1

ObjectTemplate.collision.stickToAi 1

This did help with the 'splash' back problem I had and killing myself, but in this config the bots use it about the same even with the Weapons AI tweak change I did.

I'm still trying to get the 'stream' effect rather than the 'flare' effect. Any ideas yet?

Well, at the moment theres only one animation that runs as soon as the weapon is fired - thats the flame animation that then runs for 45 s (or whatever it was) or until someone walks into the fire. You could add a new flame effect to that bundle that only runs for a few seconds, maybe whack up the particles that will be produced and make the particle size really small, put a time delay on the current flame effects and your set. The new effect will kick in and with a higher particle count and smaller particles it should look like a stream, that will stop and the normal flame / smoke will start. Once its basically working you can then tweak to get it looking even better.

If i have time i'll try a few things this coming week.

OK Pirate, I'll play with the effects. I have an effect that I use on my APCs that may work out. Let you know when I can get to it.... I'm tied up with Rl issues right now, so things are on the back burner for a bit.

On an other note, AI.... one thing I have noticed in all fire related weapons... bots are stupid. They will walk into a fire regardless. Friend and Foe. Is there a way to make the bots run from the fire, like a grenade? I can't find the behavior routine for this.... or is it hard coded in the AI.DLL? This is something that I would like to fix, but have yet to discover the code to add to fire for the AI. Ideas?

• 4 weeks later...

WTF.. SOO COOL!! :lol: keep up the good work :)

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...