Official BF Editor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bland

Tutorial: Importing Real World Data into Battlefield 2

As a follow up, here's heightmap data from the SRTM Shuttle project in relatively high resolution:

ftp://e0mss21u.ecs.nasa.gov/srtm/

Sorted by Continent and LAT/LON

The data can again be processed by MicroDEM :P

Edit: Since 2007 SRTM data can now be found at its new home:

http://srtm.usgs.gov/

Edited by mschoeldgen[Xww2]

[per}ELI]O wow...that's very cool indeed.   Now what is that ftp site with all the folders for?

Heightmaps for a big part of the world!

/sEi

As i said, the NASA data is sorted by Continent and Latitude/Longitude. So if you would like data about , lets say Berlin/Germany, you'd open the Europe folder and look up data in 52N 13E , as thats the location of this city.

(52 degrees northern latitude, 13 degrees eastern longitude)

When compared with the GOPO data, SRTM is a bit more detailed but has gaps on the seas. For a BF map, the data is still very rough as we play in small areas, but that can be handled with Bland's excellent tutorial. :D

I'll probably put these into an updated version of the tutorial at some point in Le future, but in reference to the last few posts about the images being noisy.

1) It may be worth while importing the RAW file into a GFX package and bluring the areas that are too rough. This should smooth things out.

I use GIMP and I've tried all the RAW plugins I could find for windows but none of them like the BF2 Raw file, they are more specified to Camera RAW formats (these files must be formatted differently)

Remember when saving them, they needs to be Grayscale 16bit IBM order!

2) You may also get some odd artifacts(inverted spikes) at the edges of your map. These seem to be problems with Terragen saving to the RAW format.

This doesn't always happen, but its something worth checking by going under your map to see. This should only happen at the edges of the map.

They probably won't affect your map EXCEPT when creating the surrounding terrain which it plays HAVOC with (and I'm not talking about the physics engine)

3) If you are really precise with the longitude and latitude in 3DEM, You could cut out the exact surrounding terrain too. Follow the same process as in the tutorial but instead of saving it too HeightmapPrimary.raw, save it to one of the other terrain files.

I believe those 9 sqaures in the Surrounding terrain relate to the following files in the root of your map:

(~ replaces the word Secondary to make it fit in the forum post)

[Heightmap~_L1U1.raw] [Heightmap~_U1.raw] [Heightmap~_R1U1.raw]

[Heightmap~_L1.raw] [HeightmapPrimary.raw] [Heightmap~_R1.raw]

[Heightmap~_L1D1.raw] [Heightmap~_D1.raw] [Heightmap~_R1D1.raw]

4) I've managed to import the entire island of cyprus from data from the NGA Raster Room, good data from here, you'll probably want the Product Levels set to DTED Level 0. http://geoengine.nima.mil/geospatial/SW_TO.../rast_roam.html

I've cramed Cyprus into a map size 256 so its not actual size but easily identifiable. You can even walk to the top of mount olympus. Though the island is only big enough for an 8v8 at most :)

EDIT: heres a pic

http://img373.imageshack.us/img373/1739/cyprus1fy.jpg

5) If you have a small portion of satellite data in RAW format, try using a GFX package to double the size. Not quite actaul data but you may even get a closer feel to being on the original landscape.

Anyway just a quick few cents I throw down. Hope it gives you all a few more ideas.

]As i said, the NASA data is sorted by Continent and Latitude/Longitude.  So if you would like data about , lets say Berlin/Germany, you'd open the Europe folder and look up data in 52N 13E , as thats the location of this city.  

(52 degrees northern latitude, 13 degrees eastern longitude)  

When compared with the GOPO data, SRTM is a bit more detailed but has gaps on the seas. For a BF map, the data is still very rough as we play in small areas, but that can be handled with Bland's excellent tutorial.  :D

I certainly hope that getting this info was legal. LOL j/k thx for the find man!

The document is all gibberish... no pictures, no text, just a bunch of garbage that no normal human being could understand. Could you possibly .zip it up, and upload it to somewhere else? (www.savefile.com is a good site)

The document is all gibberish... no pictures, no text, just a bunch of garbage that no normal human being could understand. Could you possibly .zip it up, and upload it to somewhere else? (www.savefile.com is a good site)

Why do you think ? Have you got MS Word? :shock:

:D

I'd like to make this map larger than it is by importing a larger sample of the terrain into terragen. What size sample would I need to get for a 64 player map? And what would my settings need to be adjusted to in the editor when importing it in?

[per}ELI]I'd like to make this map larger than it is by importing a larger sample of the terrain into terragen.  What size sample would I need to get for a 64 player map?  And what would my settings need to be adjusted to in the editor when importing it in?

Depends on the level size when you create the level. 256 =257x257, 512 =513x513 and 1024=1025x1025.

64player would be 1024 I guess :wink: Just follow the tutorial and replace sizes with the size you use :wink:

You'll need a registered version of Terragen to get a map size higher than 513. If you don't want to register and you have a graphics package that can handle the RAW files, then just import them, double the size of the image save it back to the RAW file as grayscale 16bit IBM Byte order.

I thought the crater/volcano setting was very special especially with water all around. My map is only good for a possible 4v4 if that. Nice map if u just want a few face of with a friend or three, but really no more than a demonstration.

A bigger map would be excellent. A city in the crater, perhaps. You could alter the terrain slightly and put up a watchtower of the highest peak with terrain steps up to it. Or have a scaffolding section (aka Kubra Dam) going up to it.

Or even better, a prison island where the US start from the carrier and have to get onland, perhaps even have a beachhead.

Anyway. Glad the tutorial makes sense, you all seem to have it figured out. Finding the data is probably the hardest. This site I quote in the tutorial is excellent and the data is readily available but you can't specify coordinates as you can at other sites.

Regarding the format of the tutorial if some of you have had problems, I intend to put up a HTML version at some point, but it's a matter of time ATM :P

I've got Microsoft Office, Wordperfect, Notepad... almost everything. I just can't read any of it, as the text is all screwed up, and the text that can be read, is mixed up and inconceivable.

If you have MS office, then word should be there too..... :?

Good suggestions on the map enhancements too Bland. I'll see if I can follow your info. to enlarge the map to at least a 32 player version.

Yeah... no shit. I'm not an idiot bro. I've got Word, along with a boatload of other programs. I know what I am talking about... I'm just saying the damn thing can't be viewed properly, unless the file I downloaded was corrupt. I'll try downloading it again.

Yeah... no shit. I'm not an idiot bro. I've got Word, along with a boatload of other programs. I know what I am talking about... I'm just saying the damn thing can't be viewed properly, unless the file I downloaded was corrupt. I'll try downloading it again.

Wow....didn't mean to offend you...just making an observation. Let us know if you get it or not.