Official BF Editor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CrazySaVaunT

Need Help Editing Bf2 Jets & The Basics Of Bf2editor

Im very formilliar with editing the .con & .tweak files, and ive used animation programs before similar to 3d max .

Ive Also made my own mod to have Thrust Vectoring on some of the jets. so i have basic knowlage of how editing works.

Ive been wanting to edit The BF2 jets, not just the skin, but the physical lay out.

I just need some one to help me get me started wit the basics of BF2 Editor.

I have no idea where to start, ive been trying to find info and tutorials on how to start, but i cant find anything usefull.

Can anyone tell me the steps i would need to take, and what programs i would need.

Just the basics on what i need, what i should read, and simple tips.

I have no idea how to use Bf2editor, but i know with some help ill get the hang of it quick.

I want to take off from the F-15 of all Weapons, no missles, no bombs, no fuel tanks, no mounted cameras for TV missles under engine intakes, No Missle pylons/Mounts, no Machine Gun

Basically i Clean F15 with a skin edit.

Also Edit physics to make it lighter, and more responsive.

If you guys could just help me get started i would Appreciate it Soo Much. :lol:

i guess this isnt the Help section.... thanks for the help

Removing missiles and bombs are easy to do,and can be done in notepad

Removing pylons and fuel tanks is a bit harder as they are part of the mesh (beyond my knowledge)

Young Clivewil can probably be of help with that subject

yes i know the bombs & missles are eazy to take off, ive allready done it. the physical lay out is what i want to edit, basically make new jet from scratch even, and also, ive msged Clivewil and have yet to get his answer. talk to him alot of AIX forums hes the one who told me to go here...

do you know if you can make a jet from scratch with BF2 editor? or do i need 3d max

Edited by CrazySaVaunT

why the ... ?

and what is better for editing jets , 3d max or maya ? i heard its alot of trouble with 3d max if you want to take things off.

You need to distinguish between the modelled parts and those which are added in the tweak files of the jet in question. The .con file shows all parts which are modelled - there's no easy way to edit those without a modelling program. It'd also require you to import the model into Max ( no other program can import ) , tamper with it , get a correct Material setup, copy all uv channels and then export it again. This is barely legal - you shouldn't tamper with Dice's models and then claim ownership.

The easy way is to only modify the tweak file with either the editor or any notepad program out there. You can code the flying capabilities to your liking , add/remove wings , weapons and engines.

Most freedom is achieved with a model of your own , of course.

yes i know how to edit .con & .tweak files.

they cant do what i want to be done to F-15

just wanted to take off all weapons, bombs, fuel tanks, wing pylons, and missle mounts, and parts of the skin, basically a Clean jet. also change flight physics but i know how to do that.

ive used moddeling programs before and i know the basics.

you guys havent told me anything i allready dont know

i'll say it slow lol

... you need 3dmax to modify an f15(take off bombs or change the texture etc)= which is not legal by EA/DICE

or you need 3dmax to make your own f15= legal

You can not edit the mesh of a vehicle with the bf2 editor... it isn't modelling software...

and we are just trying to help... so the comments about us not telling you anything you don't know aren't very nice...:)

mschoeldgen could write a book on game development...lol... so be especially nice to him.... :)

Edited by Catbox

Yep you told me :D lol

Thank you for thing info, you have helped me

I didnt mean to have that comment sound mean, i just was telling you what i allready knew, so YOU know what i know, so you can help me better. :D

good for mschoeldgen... if he does, let me know

its not leagle to just edit the F-15 and use it on my local server? & its leagle to edit the F-15 with .tweak & .con? i could take bombs/missles off via .tweak right? is it because you can edit those with BF2 editor?

and still didnt answer "and what is better for editing jets , 3d max or maya ? i heard its alot of trouble with 3d max if you want to take things off(Clivewil)." ? and isnt there a maya folder in BF2?

ive allready edited the F-15, gave it Thrust Vectoring, is that leagle lol.

I think Max is easier to model and export for BF2... there are export tools available for max 7/8/9/2008

and there are only bf2 tools for maya 6.0...

both max and maya are great for modelling though... max is just easier for bf2 stuff because of community modding tools for it...

and changing the speed and what the plane shoots is legal... what DICE gets upset about is altering their models...

if you wan't to make a mod and alter bf2 content that only you will play i think you would be alright though...

:D thank you very much, ill probly get max

yea i can understand now why dice wouldnt want that.

ill most likely edit the F-15, take off what i said, and then use that as a guide to make a completely new F-15, also wanted to remake the cockpit.

ive been looking for a guide for bf2 editor, but havent found any useful ones, i was wonder if you could recomend a site or download that would help with basics.

another question, for makeing textures, would i need a program like photoshop ? or something of that nature?

man, computer lagged when i clicked post, and posted 2 times :( lol

well instead of waseting space, is it possible to add Heat shimmer to bf2? or is does that effect not work on BF2, on AIX, the poisen gas , when you walk threw, everything gets all warped and stuff, could that be edited to distort like a heat shimmer, kinda like my sig lol but not that much.

also going to change the sounds, make it sound like your at an Air show, reg bf2 it sounds muffled down, but its probly for a good reason , if they had it like real sound, would be very hard to hear things when jets around.

AND can i bind the After burner effect to a key, so its a toggle? or is that too much

Edited by CrazySaVaunT

Photoshop is the industry standard for game textures... and it's great... there are plugins for the .dds format for photoshop here free from nvidia

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/photosh...ds_plugins.html

theres also a .dds thumbnail viewer which is great for seeing a thumbnail

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/dds_thumbnail_viewer.html

here's a tutorial i made that explains basic terrain setup

http://bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=6916

the best video for doing bf2 textures with max on this website

http://www.bfapocalypse.com/index.php?name...&page_id=46

http://www.doomlab.com/Library/_Mod_Day_/T...l_BF2layers.zip

user tutorials various

http://bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?showt...aded&start=

and the exhaust vapor could possibly be made with an effect... we have a beerkeg plane that drops beer when you fly it in our BF Pirates mod...lol

Hawk or MS can explain effects better

awsome , thank you soo much Catbox, youve really helped me out.

well it least i know that effect is possible, probly take me a few weeks to get it looking right though

ahaha beerkeg plane xD why bomb your enemy when you can get them so drunk, they pass out, and then sneek up on them & knife em

Btw, i've published a tutorial about making a propdriven plane on this site:

http://bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9229

You'll need a basic model either from the net or of your own making. The tutorial explains both the modelling pecularities for BF2 and the editor tweaking needed to fly this model in BF2.

Is there also a way to edit and add afterburners on jets and if possible on vehicles??