Official BF Editor Forums

Can Not Export Kit

infinityloop

Using 3ds max 2009 (also tried with 2008) and PoE2_0.30a 3dmax tools on WinXP (also tried on VISTA).

Here is what i did.

1. start 3dsmax
  2. open BF2 Utilities
  3. select "mesh import"
  4. select "chinsurgent_kits.con" (from Special Forces)
  5. import was done nicely without any issues
  6. for testing purpose i tried to just export that without any modifications
  7. open "BF2 Exporter"
  8. export (enabled debug because sceneparse.exe will crash)
  9. scenepase.exe throws this error
    errorbb1.th.jpgthpix.gif
  10. the same error appears 3 more times, then scene.parse.exe crashes.

I tried the *_kits.con from BF2 and other mods, and the same error happens.

I need to do a few modifications for my upcoming movie. Anyone a idea what is going wrong?. :S

Exporting vehicles and static meshes works like a charm.

Edited by infinityloop

a mate and myself tried the same thing a few years back and came to the conclusion it wasnt possible to re-export skinned meshes.

not quite sure why...lol

but did you skin modify all the kit parts before re-export?...if not that will definetly give you a scene parse.

Edited by BEEX

Exporting skinnedmeshes without weighthing the vertices will always crash sceneparse.exe. You also need to make sure that only uvmap channel 1 is in use , all others need to be cleared.

To successfully weigth a kit you should import a 3P skeleton and hook it into the scene according to our hierachy help thread:

http://bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=5013

It is possible , in contrary to my old kit hierachy in that thread, to attach all kit parts into one and add a single skin modifier to it. Weight the kit parts to the provided meshes for this purpose: mesh9 to mesh 15.

The helmet should of course be weigthed to the head bone and any backpacks are probably best weigthed to root up to torso via Spine2 and Spine3.

Edited by mschoeldgen[Xww2]

Indeed :unsure:

You could still try to get rid of the complete kit geometry. This would give you a soldier without any bags, pouches or helmets.

I tried that allready by editing the con files for the _kit.con and the i.e. _at.con

as result i had the complete Kit geometry showing up when the soldier got killed. :S

i also tried to detele every geometry from the imported kit, so just the "helper objects" were left. but the export also crashes sceneparse.exe ... :S

Besides the PM i sent you, here are two screenies from Max to show the process. The first shot has the 'head' bone selected and the Skin modifier in the 'Edit Envelopes' mode. Note how the helmet shows all red vertices for a 100% weigthing :

kitexampleA.jpg

The next shot shows the weigthing for 'mesh12'. It only affects the holster in my kit:

kitexampleB.jpg

The last shot shows another kit containing a backpack with shared weigthing. Here i have selected the 'Spine3' bone . Note how the orange weighting shows a shared weigthing for the vertices of the back pack. In this case the vertex weigthing for the lower part is shared between 'Spine2' and 'Spine3' . The higher part is shared between 'Spine3' and 'torso'.

kitexampleC.jpg

Hope that helps. Btw, all my kit parts are in one mesh called 'ger_newkits__SimpleObject'.

For a first test i thought that i should better stay very simple instead of creating a kit containing lots and lots of geometry.

1. So i deleted everything except the sidearm LOD0 and LOD1 models.
  2. renamed the helper to geom0
  3. Followed the steps on how to weight the sidearm models to the right upper bone
  4. checked that there is only one UVMap on channel 1 for each model
  5. checked that it is textured correctly
  6. and sceneparse.exe still crashes on export :blink:

I would be very grateful if someone could help me to find out how i managed to even screw up this simply test kit. :(

Max_file download

Edited by infinityloop

I can't open the file. Seems to be higher than Max 9 :P

I forgot to mention the importance of the material setup. You should use one of the kit tangent techniques by naming your Material something like 'kit_material||uskits_tangent' or 'mykits||tangent'

Aother important step is to force that material on all your kit meshes. Select them all , open the Material Manager and press the 'Assign Material to Selection' . Be careful not to do that on the bones of the skeleton. After assigning the material check that all faces have the correct surface material ID ( which is probably 1 if you only use one texture )

I give the drop kits a skin modifier and skin them to the root bone. Idk if its necessary but hey... I remember i had some scaling issues with them in the past and skinning them to root did fix that.

I can't open the file. Seems to be higher than Max 9 :P

created with 3ds max 2008 :(

grr... autocad is able to save files for virtually every version autodesk ever release, but max can not even export it for the previous one? :rolleyes:

I forgot to mention the importance of the material setup. You should use one of the kit tangent techniques by naming your Material something like 'kit_material||uskits_tangent' or 'mykits||tangent'

done that, no effect. still crashing.

Aother important step is to force that material on all your kit meshes. Select them all , open the Material Manager and press the 'Assign Material to Selection' . Be careful not to do that on the bones of the skeleton. After assigning the material check that all faces have the correct surface material ID ( which is probably 1 if you only use one texture )

done that, no effect. still crashing.

i am 99% sure that i did everything right and i am close to give up after ~4hours of not getting it to export. :(

maybe i am missing something obvious?

99793247xb7.th.jpg 29620424lg6.th.jpg 57996940dp3.th.jpg

as i said, just the 2 lod models of the sidearm are in the kit yet, because i want to do a simple test-kit first.

but not even that exports. *cry*

Edited by infinityloop

so here i am again....

in order to rule out that the imported geometry causes my problems, i started with a clean scene.

1. created the hirarchy as explained by mschoeldgen[Xww2] in his other thread
  2. created a simple box
  3. created the uv
  4. assigned a proper texture according to the informations from mschoeldgen[Xww2]
  5. then i imported the skeleton
  6. created the weight as described in the tutorial
  7. selected the "root" of my kit
  8. export
  9. and sceneparse still crases :blink:

There must be something i simply overlook all the time, because it works for you guys.

So i managed now to create a max9 file with the hope that mschoeldgen[Xww2] would be so kind to take a look if he spots the error i make constantly but can not find it. :)

Edited by infinityloop

From your screenies i find that you didn't parent the skeleton to the root of the model . Here's the hierachy for my first geom and the skeleton:

kitexampleD.jpg

Additional geoms and lods are not displayed and the lower part of the hierachy is only the 3P skeleton.

Note the additionel helper hooked into the geom0->lod0 named 'ske:root_skeleton' . Rename the former 'root_skeleton_3p_setup' to 'ske::root_skeleton_3p_setup' and parent it to the root of your scene.

The rest looks fine and i'm confident it will export now :P

Edit: Ok, i loaded your scene, did the recommended changes and it exports ! Only create the 'ske:root_skeleton' dummies and parent them to the lod0 and the lod1. Then do the above and it will work. I only had to reassign the BF2BundledMesh materials for they didn't display. Do you use the DirectX shaders ? This might or might not work.

omg, omg, omg, omg!!!!!

i just had to assign and rename the skeleton and it exports like a charm!!!!!! :)

worksvj0.th.jpg

added one more geom for the dropkit and that problem is solved as well now =)

works2cg8.th.jpg

1 Million thanks mschoeldgen[Xww2] !!!! :D

Finally i am one step closer fo finish my mod so i can start with the actual movie shootings.

Everything is working fine and i nearly finished all the kits i need to alter.

But there is something i just noticed.

The Export of the Kit creates 2 new dds files in the Textures folder.

chinsurgent_kits_b_os.dds and chinsurgent_kits_b_beforeOL.dds

each one is 16MB large 2048x2048 and they look identical......

chinsurgentkitsbosjd7.th.jpg

this is a reduced version of the dds file.

anyone knows where they come from?

chinsurgent_kits_b_os.dds is required for the mod now, or you encounter a CTD. :blink:

Edited by infinityloop

Congratulations ! Welcome to the world of skinnedMeshes :P

OS textures: The 'before_OL' ( i think that stands for 'before Object Lighting' ) can be scrapped once the export is finished. It is an intermediate to produce the '_b_os' texture. The '_b_os' texture should be converted from the 8:8:8:8 format to DXT5 so that the game can work with it.

A good OS map is dependent on a very clean unwrap of your objects. If you have that and no overlaps in your UV's the OS texture should be usable. If that isn't the case and you encounter strange ligh effects on the kits, replace it with an all-black texture. Not the perfect solution but still better than seams and strange shadows.

• 3 months later...

Download link ? You got me confused as this thread deals with exporting kits from Max to BF2. Nothing to download here ....

Here you can only download knowledge into your brains :P

Edit: Ahh, i guess you mean the temporary download by infinityloop ? That was only present for a short time to fix his troubles with exporting.