Official BF Editor Forums
[TLB]stickman

Can See Through Walls Of My Building

I've got the bunker imported and working fine in game, so my Maya tools must all be set up correctly. I'm now working on creating my own enterable buildings. The buildings look fine and work fine from the outside, but once I get "inside", I am able to see through the walls and can walk through the walls also. I've searched the forums for a couple days and looked at dozens of online Maya tutorials, but I can't find anything about creating enterable buildings. Building the Bunker was tutorial #4, but unfortunately for me the bunker was already built. :D Is there a tutorial that shows how the bunker was created. I've tried to study the wireframe structure and to look at the normals to determine the direction of the poly faces, but I'm not making any progress. Could somebody steer me in the right direction as to how to build an "enterable structure"?

thanks!

>

>

>

>

Edited by [TLB]stickman

i'm not familiar with maya... but in max you need to have walls on the outside and inside if the building is enterable...

the textures look a little off...did you unwrap the buildings and apply textures?

Did you understand the system with col0, col1 and col2 ? If yes, all you have to keep in mind is to make the col0 _enclose_ col1 and col2 , that is, col0 needs to be a little bit larger than the other 2 col's. Look here for LBrown's Maya tests:

http://bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3007

Now all you need to do is to make the col2 fitting the model and having a look at the orientation of its normals. I suggest to load a few enterable buildings in the editor and render the 'SoldierMesh' (its in 'ToggleDrawCollision' ) to get an idea of how a col2 should look like.

Thanks Guys,

I had read the post from LBrown and that all made perfect sense. Referring to his "Building the Bunker" tutorial, all 3 collision meshes had identical size as they were duplicates of col0, so I made my building the same way. I ended up building the inside of the room, windows, and corridors as one object and the outside of the building as a seperate object. I then reversed the normals for the "inside" object before connecting the two together. That worked for me. As far as unwrapping and applying textures, I haven't got that far yet. :rolleyes: I just used the "placeholder" textures for now while getting the collisions to work. I missed the part about assigning a "default material" to the object once it was imported into the editor. That explains why I didn't see the buttet hits on the object when I shot at it. ;)

It's a bit of a learning curve, but I'm getting there. My goal is to build a lighthouse. I can make the spiral staircase, but I still need to learn how to build a "spiral ramp" for the col meshes. I found a couple tuts on UV mapping and will tackle that beast once the building is ready. And the rotating beacon....let's not even talk about a rotating beacon yet.

I appreciate the help guys.