Official BF Editor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
THEBARTLETT

Working With Layers

Ive completed a map that I have the default layer (1) for statics and such, another layer (2) for 32_player, and a third layer (3) for 64_player. I have the control/spawnpoints properly setup as I want them, and everything saved properly. I end up with the 32 and 64 player gameplayobjects.cons in the Gamemodes folder, no problems, and the layer.con as well in the main map directory. My question is when I go back and reload the map into the editor, say to add some more spawnpoints or objectspawners, how can I see the layers I have previously worked with, the 32 and 64. If I place the 64_player GPO.con in the editor folder, that is the only layer I can see, and its listed as the default layer. If I try to put the Gamemodes folder into the editor folder in the map folder, I don't see any control points etc, due to more than likely the editor not reading into the Gamemodes folder. Is there a way to be able to see my previously worked on layers in the editor again? Or do I have to put one at a time the 32 GPO.con in the editor folder, work on them individually, save and then switch the GPO.con for the 64? Seems tedious and time consuming. Hope there is another way to do this, or am I not seeing the forest through the trees with this one? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all for helping me out.

The GPO file in the /Editor file is like a "master" GPO that has stuff from every layer stored in it. When you save, it breaks out only the stuff on layer 1 and whatever other layers are for a particular gamemode and/or mapsize, and then creates smaller GPOs in the respective /Gamemodes folders.

Therefore, if you take the 64 conquest GPO and overwrite the master in the /Editor folder - youve destroyed the information which will allow you to work on multiple map sizes at once. Yes, you can throw the 32 in the /Editor and work on just that - which is tedious - and something Ive done a hundred times myself. You could conceivably rebuild your master GPO by copy-pasting the stuff thats unique on each layer... but be careful when it comes to those layers that include multiple sizes.

Try to remember next time you go to paste a GPO in your Editor folder to change the file extension on the one thats in there to .bak or something else - and always keep backup copies of maps youre working on elsewhere too.

Thank you sir for the fast response. I did not know about the "master" GPO file in the editor folder the first time I save a multilayer map. I will definitly remember that for future maps, and will not write over it. For now I will just do it the hard way and get it done. Thanks again sir for the valuable information.