Official BF Editor Forums

Bf Pirates 2 - Mapping Contest Announced

PiratePlunder

The Battlefield Pirates Team has just announced something that might be of interest here - a mapping contest where selected maps will be included in their upcoming release Yarrr 2.2.

Yarrr, having just dropped anchor we're scouring the docks for you scurvy dogs with a talent for mapping, as well as wenches of dubious repute and plenty o' grog to make 'em look pretty.

news_harbor.jpg

We hope you've enjoyed some serious swashbuckling musket firing cutlass slashing action over the last few weeks, but now its time fore some work. We're really excited to announce our first BFP2 mapping contest. Up for grabs, the chance to have your piratey creations included in the upcoming Yarr2.2 official patch and mappack. So if you have some burning desire to create a particular map and get it out there for the public to play then this is your chance for fame, or infamy!

So what are the rules?

The possibilities are endless and the rules are simple. So long as it doesn't infringe any copyright and isn't too offensive, then we have no problem with it. The competition's open to anyone and any maps, either brand new or that have already been showcased on these forums, can be submitted. You can submit as many maps as you want but only high quality maps will be considered for inclusion in the release.

So in terms of copyright, these guidelines should help you out:

* Remakes of bfp1 maps will be fine - give some credit to orignal mapper.

* Remakes of bf2 maps will be fine (so long as you dont use any content from booster packs or bf2:sf - i.e. heightmaps, color maps etc etc).

* Remakes of maps from other games - eg COD, BF1942, CS - are fine, so long as you don't just copy anything across - heightmaps, textures etc.

* And of course, your own creations are absolutely fine.

Ok, but how long have i got?

The first deadline is in four weeks time - Friday 27th February. At that point we'll have a look at all the submissions and decide which are appropriate to take forward into the official release.

There will then be a couple more weeks during which maps that are chosen to be included in the official release can be fully tested and prepared for release. The BFP2 mappers will be on hand to help with setting up the level for CQ, CTF or Zombie, lightmapping and other aspects of mapping so that by the time it gets to the public its a beautiful working map. We'll be dedicating one of our official servers to run these maps during that time so that you have plenty of time to test how they play.

Towards the end of March we'll be looking to release Yarrr 2.2 and hopefully your map will be included.

What about custom statics?

We've got a small number of maps that weren't quite ready to make the R2.1 release which use a ship load of new structures and other assets that will be coming in R2.2. None of these objects were included in R2.1 and we'll be making these objects public shortly.

Briefly they include:

* Various warehouse facades to make complex dock/harbor areas

* Sewer and cave pieces

* Various static ships to look nice

* Undead Spy class (and soldier model)

* Pegleg Drunkard class

The devs will also be able to help make a small number of custom models for your map, where we think it will add to the mod, can't be done with current objects, and we have the time.

So that's it, get mapping and we look forward to seeing what you create. We'll be releasing the new models, lightmapping archives and editor tools soon, so keep checking back and keep us informed as your ideas and maps develop.

Edited by PiratePlunder

sounds pretty sweet, I may be up for this :D

EDIT: quick question, can each mapper enter more than one map and is it only 1 map that will be included or could it be like the top 3 or 5 etc that go in? Cheers :)

EDIT: I would also recommend submitting this news to TBF2 and other BF2 news sites with also a list of tuts to encourage newbies to give mapping a go :D

EDIT: a list kinda like this but without the PR tuts in it: http://www.totalgamingnetwork.com/main/sho...ad.php?t=179075

Edited by Rhino

EDIT: quick question, can each mapper enter more than one map and is it only 1 map that will be included or could it be like the top 3 or 5 etc that go in? Cheers :)

EDIT: I would also recommend submitting this news to TBF2 and other BF2 news sites with also a list of tuts to encourage newbies to give mapping a go :D

EDIT: a list kinda like this but without the PR tuts in it: http://www.totalgamingnetwork.com/main/sho...ad.php?t=179075

It depends... are you familiar with the editor? :D

Each mapper can enter more than 1 map, and how many winners there will be depends on the ammount and quality of entrys ;)

This news has now spread to other news sites.

Good luck all that enter, i'm sure we will see some quality work :D

hey folks!

i love the idea of this mapping contest, so i startet today with a map and a few objects :D

because of finishing a cool map in a few weeks is a lot of work, i was woundering if anybody like 2 cooperate and work together on a pirates map?

if somebody would be up to this idea, pls feel free drop me a line here or a note per PM!

ive finished the first house today, already startet the second one... i plan to do some like 2 houses and a few props per day, for getting cool custom made stuff on the map :P

some screens of the first one, more to come :)

bgwy8hoz.jpg

brfm23l2.jpg

greetings from germany!

*Update*

second version of the house... (changed the textures a bit and worked a bit on the houses size)

iy6h4xm7.jpg

e4l4jqdj.jpg

Edited by [GER]Honk

What I've got so far :)

96198746bc0.jpg

Called Shallow Waters at the mo but think I'm going to change it once I come up with / given a better name since I realized after looking in the maps folder there is already some "Shallow xx" maps :P

Aiming for 95% naval battle with all the flags in the water surrounded by small islands, some in very shallow water to stop big ships getting to them :)

Wow :o, looks great, but I think the Lightsettings are a little bit too realistic. :P

I would do something special. :rolleyes:

But it's your map and I bet it'll be great 'cos you're a really fantastic Mapper!

Cheers, took the light settings strait from Muttrah but will tweak in time, thinking of using a different sky too but want it to be a nice sunny tropical feel to it, nothing unrealistic like blood in the sky for this map thou, not that I have anything against thous kinda skys for this type of mod but just not what I have planned for this map :P

Yeah we have a Shallow Draft already ... and actually about 60% of our maps start with the letter S. What about blocking the islands with some coral reefs instead? Thatd be fun to paint.

hummm a Coral Reef is a interesting idea, hard to do but might be worth a shot, could even do it as undergrowth for some part :D

EDIT: GRRRR I HATE YOU HAWK!!! This was meant to be a nice easy simple map but now you have put that idea of a Coral Reef into my head and I know how much more work I have now that I can't ignore! :P

Edited by Rhino