Official BF Editor Forums
UberWazuSoldier

Bf2 Hud Blend Modes

Hello everyone! As I'm sure a few of you will have done, I've been pondering over those blend modes that pop up mostly in airplane HUDs. You might have noticed by now that the format for these is;

hudBuilder.addNodeBlendEffect <a number> <another number>

After a bit of time messing around, I came to the conclusion that these are directly forwarded to Direct3D - So it's possible to know what the numbers mean after all! - Unfortunately most of the blend modes that work with a lot of other DirectX things don't seem to work so great in BF2, probably partly as a result of the alpha channels on various things.

The way I stumbled across this was some rem'd code for the commander map in BF2. The comment attached was that it was for inverting the map (which was drawn onto that node). I then compared it with the aircraft's additive blending (7 2), and thought about how similar it was to the format of blend modes for DirectX. So, the numbers do what's described at the bottom:

It's actually really hard to predict exactly how it will blend the colours together, even though it looks so straightforward. Most things that manipulate the destination don't seem to work with BF2, I think the HUD may be drawn somewhere in the middle - Which could be the cause. Vehicles, for example, often show up significantly brighter than anything else with these.

The numbers 0, 1, 2 and 9 are all identical when used as the second number.

Feel free to try them out and report anything interesting. - I'm omitting 1, 2 and 9 as the second number because it's all logical if you read my comment above. - Also note that making this list was VERY tedious, so the comments are not as useful as they perhaps could be.

Again, sorry if none of that made sense, but this should at least inspire some creative use of this function!

0 0 - Addative (Ignoring Alpha).

3 0 - Addative (Including Alpha).

4 0 - Adds inverted source colour.

5 0 - Colours get further from black..

6 0 - Draws normally.

7 0 - Roughly the same as 4 0 but weaker colours.

8 0 - Adds inverted colour AND inverted alpha.

9 0 - The same as 0 0, except semitransparent things are black and it's on steroids.

10 0 - Like normal, but transparent things (like grass) are the colour you select.

0 3 - Multiply effect? Darker at least. Also, darks are lighter. *shrugs*

3 3 - Like 0 3, but stronger colours.

4 3 - Like 0 3, but darker.

5 3 - Proper multiply effect. - Good for sunglasses.

6 3 - Ignores the destination, and draws it as if on a black background.

7 3 - Roughly the same as 0 3

8 3 - Like 5 3, but more washed out colours.

9 3 - Like a darker version of 9 0.

10 3 - Multiplies, AND does the 10 0 thing.

0 4 - Appears to change the hue and saturation to an inverted version of the colour you chose.

3 4 - Darker version of 0 4.

4 4 - Draws an inverted version of your colour, but with NORMAL transparency.

5 4 - Adds an inverted version of your colour.

6 4 - Inverts the destination (behind your HUD) and then adds an inverted version of your colour.

7 4 - Draws with inverted alpha your inverted colour.

8 4 - Seems to multiply by inverted source colour, but alpha'd too.

9 4 - Like 9 0

10 4 - PROPERLY multiplies by inverted source colour, but transparents are the source colour. Vehicles count as

transparents, as the err, "shininess map" is usually in the alpha channel. Guns do it too.

0 5 - ANOTHER addative thing.

3 5 - Mamma mia! Another addative!

4 5 - Destination contrast seems to be increased, and it's coloured like an inverted source.

5 5 - Pure white!

6 5 - Inverts dark destinations, so it COULD be a visual aid of some sort.

7 5 - Another addative.

8 5 - Higher contrast and more vibrant destination colours.

9 5 - Another addative.

10 5 - REALLY high contrast for destination, and transparencies are, you guessed it, source-coloured.

0 6 - Inverts light colours and then adds the source to it.

3 6 - Same as 0 6, but the adding of source is more... Alpha'd.

4 6 - Like 0 6, but it adds the INVERTED source.

5 6 - Source becomes the brightest possible colour, darker colours aren't affected it seems.

6 6 - Destination is inverted, and then multiplied by source.

7 6 - Light destination colours are inverted, dark are not. Visual aid, maybe?

8 6 - Same as 7 6, but darker.

9 6 - Same as 7 6, but it adds the source afterwards.

10 6 - Like 10 5, but less coloured.

0 7 - ANOTHER addative.

3 7 - Really faint, but definitely another addatie.

4 7 - Adds inverted source.

5 7 - Hmm, adds on light colours, subtracts on dark colours - So it's a contrast filter.

6 7 - Draws a washed-out, alpha'd, inverted source.

7 7 - Another addative.

8 7 - Inverted-alpha drawing of the source.

9 7 - ANOTHER addative, but transparents are inverted source.

10 7 - Multiplies, and transparents are source.

0 8 - Draws normally.

3 8 - Same as 0 8, but darker.

4 8 - Same as 0 8, but source is inverted.

5 8 - Increases contrast, and then multiplies by the source colour.

6 8 - Like 6 6, but darker.

7 8 - Draws source with neutral luminosity, and alpha'd.

8 8 - Multiplies by a washed-out inverted source.

9 8 - Like 9 7 etc.

10 8 - Slightly coloured like inverted source, transparents are, you guessed it, source-coloured.

0 10 - Everything is darkened-source coloured, except transparents, which look normal. Particles are inverse-source

coloured.

3 10 - Same, but darker. - These are just WEIRD.

4 10 - Inverse-source coloured, except transparents.

5 10 - Further from white, except transparents.

6 10 - Everything except transparents is inverted.

7 10 - Like 0 10.

8 10 - Everything is black except transparents.

9 10 - Like 0 10 again.

10 10 - Pure black.

Well, go and knock yourselves out! I don't know how useful these are, the ones starting with 9 and 10 aren't great with text because the alpha messes them up. Anyway, have fun, just thought it would be good to share these findings.

Edited by UberWazuSoldier

Not to sound ungrateful, but most of the views of this topic have been from me checking up on it; and considering the time it took to find this stuff out, I'd prefer it didn't fade out of existence. I'm assuming that bumping topics is against the rules, but you can probably see where I'm coming from.

Hand-making one hundred nodes to test these out was a little less than inspiring, and it's the result of 2 days (more if you consider the failed tests I did a couple of weeks ago) of absolutely mind-numbingly boring work with a computer slower than a mentally handicapped snail. Sorry if this is somehow intruding on the general order of the forums, but I don't want this to slip by silently. - Would it be more suited elsewhere on the forums?

i thought your info was important enough to save a copy of the page for future reference, but the page took so long to load i wasn't willing to risk a reply at that time in case it caused a quadruple post...

many thanks for your efforts :)

Thanks for the replies guys! These are pretty useful for eyecandy especially, the ones that invert what's behind the hud are quite interesting.

7774da06718a53ac6bb8865a6badb7bf57e6d301.jpg

That's an example of it. If you guys need any screenshots of the ones above, I can make them without much trouble.

I've never messed with these settings before but I'm off on my way now to test them out. They look pretty interesting to mess with, didn't know you could do things like that with the HUD.

Thanks for the list.

WHOA brilliant find there! Maybe finally a way to simulate FLIR (by applying a tv post process comp and inverting everything so it looks nothing like the bf2 tv shader). I'd love to try it but how exactly do you invert everything except for the HUD, just like you showed in your screenshot? I mean what do I change in order to get everything inverted?

Well, set it up like a normal weapon/vehicle hud, and then put in;

hudBuilder.createSplitNode		IngameHud InvertEffect
hudBuilder.setNodeLogicShowVariable 	EQUAL GuiIndex <set to whatever your gun is>
hudBuilder.addNodeBlendEffect		6 4

hudBuilder.createPictureNode		InvertEffect Inverter 0 0 800 600
hudBuilder.setNodeColor			0 1 0 1

Note that the colour you choose becomes the "dark" colour, and it's opposite becomes the "light" colour. Making it "1 1 1 1" would be completely inverted.

screen000d.th.jpg

Hopefully I haven't missed anything with that. - In that screenshot I had it in the HudElementsPlayer.con, and the reason the other parts weren't inverted was that they were drawn by BF2 after the invert effect was applied. Putting it in weapons or vehicles *might* not invert the HUD, but no guarantee. I'll give it a shot.

Many thanks. Unfortunately the thing I want to do (make the image black/white with tv shader, then invert so its white/black) but I'll keep playing with those things. Something different!

Whoat thats exactly what I wanted to do. Putting 1 1 1 1 into it definitely did the inverting job, but the problem is that the whole thing is inverted, as shown below the post.

This is the code I added to my ah1z copilot hudelements:

hudBuilder.setNodeLogicShowVariable 	EQUAL GuiIndex 25

hudBuilder.setNodeColor			1 1 1 1

Any chance you can share the code you used or at least point me in the right direction?

screen054.jpg

Whoat thats exactly what I wanted to do. Putting 1 1 1 1 into it definitely did the inverting job, but the problem is that the whole thing is inverted, as shown below the post.

This is the code I added to my ah1z copilot hudelements:

hudBuilder.setNodeLogicShowVariable 	EQUAL GuiIndex 25

hudBuilder.setNodeColor			1 1 1 1

Any chance you can share the code you used or at least point me in the right direction?

screen054.jpg

By adding this "hudBuilder.addNodeBlendEffect 6 4"

Everything below it,is changed

you can add the blend effect code to individual items

The 1 1 1 1 ,is just a white colour

WHITE hudBuilder.setNodeColor 1 1 1 1

GREEN hudBuilder.setNodeColor 0 0.8 0 1

RED hudBuilder.setNodeColor 1 0 0 1

LIGHT GREEN hudBuilder.setNodeColor 0.5725 0.8666 0.2352 1

BLUE hudBuilder.setNodeColor 0 0 1 1

YELLOW hudBuilder.setNodeColor 1 0.706 0 1

ORANGE/YELLOW hudBuilder.setNodeColor 0 1 0 1

What exactly do you mean when you say "Everything below BlendEffect 6 4 is changed"? It still doesn't work (still inverts everything while it only should invert the post process shader layer), the only thing it did was stopping the weapon selection icons from being inverted, which is a good start. May I take a look at your con file so I can see what I've been doing wrong?

Edited by wolfi

What exactly do you mean when you say "Everything below BlendEffect 6 4 is changed"? It still doesn't work (still inverts everything while it only should invert the post process shader layer), the only thing it did was stopping the weapon selection icons from being inverted, which is a good start. May I take a look at your con file so I can see what I've been doing wrong?

Ignore my comment wolfi

I was more commenting on general code and not code relating to InvertEffect (which i know nothing about)

This is how I did it for the Ah-1z for example.

The hud will render things in order of first(bottom) to last(top). So by placing it first in the list, it renders before the frame and such. If it were placed last, it would ivert everything cos they are already rendered when it comes to rendering the inversion. Also, add it to the ah1z hud not the in game one, because the in game one renders first. Then the vehicles, then the ah1z I think for example.

hudBuilder.createSplitNode			VehicleHuds Ah1zCoPilotHud
hudBuilder.setNodeLogicShowVariable 		EQUAL GuiIndex 503
hudBuilder.setNodeLogicShowVariable 		OR GuiIndex 504
hudBuilder.setNodeLogicShowVariable 		OR GuiIndex 505

[b]rem -------------------------------------- TEST ---------------------------------------

hudBuilder.createSplitNode        		Ah1zCoPilotHud InvertEffect
hudBuilder.setNodeLogicShowVariable     	EQUAL GuiIndex 503
hudBuilder.setNodeLogicShowVariable 		OR GuiIndex 504
hudBuilder.addNodeBlendEffect       		6 4

hudBuilder.createPictureNode        		InvertEffect Inverter 0 0 800 600
hudBuilder.setNodeColor           		1 1 1 1
[/b]

rem -------------------------------------- Gun --------------------------------------

hudBuilder.createPictureNode			Ah1zCoPilotHud Ah1zTVFrameGun 0 0 1024 1024
hudBuilder.setPictureNodeTexture 		Ingame\Vehicles\Icons\Hud\Air\Attack\Ah1z\ah1z_guncross.dds
hudBuilder.setNodeLogicShowVariable 		EQUAL GuiIndex 503
hudBuilder.setNodeColor		 		0 0 0 1

rem -------------------------------------- Laser --------------------------------------

hudBuilder.createPictureNode			Ah1zCoPilotHud Ah1zTVFrameLaser 0 0 1024 1024
hudBuilder.setPictureNodeTexture 		Ingame\Vehicles\Icons\Hud\Air\Attack\Ah1z\ah1z_lasercross.dds
hudBuilder.setNodeLogicShowVariable 		EQUAL GuiIndex 504

rem -------------------------------------- Frame --------------------------------------

hudBuilder.createPictureNode			Ah1zCoPilotHud Ah1zTVFrame 0 0 1024 1024
hudBuilder.setPictureNodeTexture 		Ingame\Vehicles\Icons\Hud\Air\Attack\Ah1z\ah1z_laserframe.dds

rem -------------------------------------- Laser Guided Markers --------------------------------------

hudBuilder.createObjectMarkerNode 		Ah1zCoPilotHud Ah1zLaserHudMarkers  110 70 565 465
hudBuilder.setObjectMarkerNodeTexture 		0 Ingame\Vehicles\Icons\Hud\Air\Attack\Ah64a\nothing.dds
hudBuilder.setObjectMarkerNodeTexture 		1 Ingame\Vehicles\Icons\Hud\Air\Attack\Ah64a\nothing.dds
hudBuilder.setObjectMarkerNodeTexture 		2 Ingame\Vehicles\Icons\Hud\Air\Attack\Ah1z\ah1z_lockboxLocked.dds
hudBuilder.setObjectMarkerNodeTextureSize	0 32 32
hudBuilder.setObjectMarkerNodeTextureSize	1 64 64
hudBuilder.setObjectMarkerNodeTextureSize	2 64 64
hudBuilder.setObjectMarkerNodeObjects 		4
hudBuilder.setObjectMarkerNodeLockOnType	1

rem -------------------------------------- Cannon Ammo --------------------------------------

beginrem
hudBuilder.createPictureNode		Ah1zCoPilotHud Ah1zCoPilotCannonLabel 560 520 25 10
hudBuilder.setPictureNodeTexture 		Ingame\Vehicles\Icons\Hud\Air\Common\gun.tga
hudBuilder.setNodeLogicShowVariable 	EQUAL GuiIndex 503
endrem

hudBuilder.createTextNode		Ah1zCoPilotHud Ah1zCoPilotCannonLabel 575 180 100 10
hudBuilder.setTextNodeStyle		Fonts/vehicleHudFont_6.dif 0
hudBuilder.setTextNodeString	"GUN"

hudBuilder.createTextNode		Ah1zCoPilotHud Ah1zCoPilotCannonCount 410 480 40 10
hudBuilder.setTextNodeStringVariable	PrimaryAmmoString

rem -------------------------------------- Wire Guided Missiles Ammo --------------------------------------

beginrem
hudBuilder.createPictureNode		Ah1zCoPilotHud Ah1zCoPilotWireGuidedLabel 560 520 43 10
hudBuilder.setPictureNodeTexture 		Ingame\Vehicles\Icons\Hud\Air\Common\agm114.tga
hudBuilder.setNodeLogicShowVariable 	EQUAL GuiIndex 504
endrem

hudBuilder.createTextNode		Ah1zCoPilotHud Ah1zCoPilotWireGuidedLabel 575 180 100 10
hudBuilder.setTextNodeString	"HF"

hudBuilder.createTextNode		Ah1zCoPilotHud Ah1zCoPilotWireGuidedLabel2 575 190 100 15
hudBuilder.setTextNodeString	"LG"

hudBuilder.createTextNode		Ah1zCoPilotHud Ah1zCoPilotWireGuidedCount 430 480 10 10
hudBuilder.setTextNodeStringVariable	PrimaryClipString

rem -------------------------------------- Laser Guided Missiles Ammo --------------------------------------

beginrem
hudBuilder.createPictureNode		Ah1zCoPilotHud Ah1zCoPilotLaserGuidedLabel 560 520 43 10
hudBuilder.setPictureNodeTexture 		Ingame\Vehicles\Icons\Hud\Air\Common\agm114.tga
hudBuilder.setNodeLogicShowVariable 	EQUAL GuiIndex 505
endrem

hudBuilder.createTextNode		Ah1zCoPilotHud Ah1zCoPilotLaserGuidedLabel 575 180 100 15
hudBuilder.setTextNodeString	"HF"

hudBuilder.createTextNode		Ah1zCoPilotHud Ah1zCoPilotLaserGuidedLabel2 575 190 100 15
hudBuilder.setTextNodeString	"LT"

hudBuilder.createTextNode		Ah1zCoPilotHud Ah1zCoPilotLaserGuidedCount 430 480 10 10
hudBuilder.setTextNodeStringVariable	PrimaryClipString

rem -------------------------------------- Rec 1111 Text --------------------------------------

hudBuilder.createTextNode		Ah1zCoPilotHud CobraCoPilotNumText 150 495 100 10
hudBuilder.setTextNodeString	"1111"
hudBuilder.setNodeColor				0 0 0 1

hudBuilder.createTextNode		Ah1zCoPilotHud CobraCoPilotRecText 150 510 100 10
hudBuilder.setTextNodeString	"REC"

rem ------------Range Finder ---------------

hudBuilder.createTextNode		Ah1zCoPilotHud Ah1zCoPilotRangeLabel 355 480 100 10
hudBuilder.setTextNodeStyle		Fonts/vehicleHudFont_6.dif 2
hudBuilder.setTextNodeStringVariable	TargetDistanceString

rem -------------------------------------- GunnerBar --------------------------------------

hudBuilder.createPictureNode			Ah1zCoPilotHud CobraBar 345 490 128 64
hudBuilder.setPictureNodeTexture 		Ingame\Vehicles\Icons\Hud\Air\Attack\Ah1z\ah1z_gunbar.dds

hudBuilder.createCompassNode 			Ah1zCoPilotHud CobraBarView 3 355 500 74 16 1 0
hudBuilder.setCompassNodeTexture 		1 Ingame\Vehicles\Icons\Hud\Air\Attack\Ah1z\ah1z_gunnerview.dds
hudBuilder.setCompassNodeTextureSize		512 16
hudBuilder.setCompassNodeBorder			0 0 0 147
hudBuilder.setCompassNodeValueVariable  	PlayerAngle
hudBuilder.setCompassNodeOffset			120
rem hudBuilder.setCompassNodeSnapOffset		0 0 8 8

rem -------------------------------------- Compass Gunner -----------------------------

hudBuilder.createCompassNode 			Ah1zCoPilotHud CobraCompassGunner 3 272 100 250 32 1 0
hudBuilder.setCompassNodeTexture 		1 Ingame\Vehicles\Icons\Hud\Air\Attack\Ah1z\ah1z_compass.dds
hudBuilder.setCompassNodeTextureSize		512 32
hudBuilder.setCompassNodeBorder			0 0 0 147
hudBuilder.setCompassNodeValueVariable		VehicleAngle
hudBuilder.setCompassNodeOffset			36

hudBuilder.createPictureNode			Ah1zCoPilotHud CobraCompassArrowGunner 390 132 16 16
hudBuilder.setPictureNodeTexture 		Ingame\Vehicles\Icons\Hud\Air\Attack\Ah1z\ah1z_compasstriangle.dds

rem -------------------------------------- ATTK Text --------------------------------------

hudBuilder.createTextNode		Ah1zCoPilotHud CobraCoPilotAText 85 265 100 10
hudBuilder.setTextNodeString	"A"

hudBuilder.createTextNode		Ah1zCoPilotHud CobraCoPilotT1Text 85 285 100 10
hudBuilder.setTextNodeString	"T"

hudBuilder.createTextNode		Ah1zCoPilotHud CobraCoPilotT2Text 85 305 100 10
hudBuilder.setTextNodeString	"T"

hudBuilder.createTextNode		Ah1zCoPilotHud CobraCoPilotKText 85 325 100 10
hudBuilder.setTextNodeString	"K"

rem -------------------------------------- RDY Text --------------------------------------

hudBuilder.createTextNode		Ah1zCoPilotHud CobraCoPilotRText 610 275 100 10
hudBuilder.setTextNodeString	"R"

hudBuilder.createTextNode		Ah1zCoPilotHud CobraCoPilotDText 610 295 100 10
hudBuilder.setTextNodeString	"D"

hudBuilder.createTextNode		Ah1zCoPilotHud CobraCoPilotTYText 610 315 100 10
hudBuilder.setTextNodeString	"Y"

Edited by Alex6714

It actually makes sense now, silly me :rolleyes: Thanks for the heads up, definitely made my day with that one! Thanks! :)

screen059.jpg

Edited by wolfi

Well in summary, put it in at the top of the file for that HUD, so the screen is inverted *before* the rest is drawn on. It's a bit tricky to avoid flipping the wrong things =P

Hope that helps further people out lol. Also, hooray for practical application!

As for the ones you are looking for, they are pretty straight forward:

menu_client\HUD\Textures\Ingame\Vehicles\Icons\Hud\Air\Attack\Ah1z\

When you want to edit the AH1Z horizon or something, most other air vehicle huds will be changed as well because most air vehicles use the same horizon:

menu_client\HUD\Textures\Ingame\Vehicles\Icons\Hud\Air\Attack\F15\Navigation\horizon.tga

Simple way to find out the location, go to Menu_server.zip\HUD\HudSetup\Vehicles\ and look through the vehicle file of your choice. Open them with notepad.

Edited by wolfi

awesome find there uberwazusoldier,awesome!...a big THANKYOU for posting your findings,muchly appreciated.

and thanx to alex6714 for...."The hud will render things in order of first(bottom) to last(top) ."...i had no idea about that

@alex6714

What's the REC 1111, ATTK and RDY texts? I haven't noticed such a texts in vanilla HUD.

And why have you set the GUIIndex to 503? Vanilla one is 20, as I remember.