Official BF Editor Forums

Steam Support

Beginner

Of course new Battlefield will be with DX10 support and realistic phisycs engine with a maximum destoyable objects (not like in BFC - much better... I mean destroy everything). Of course BF3 will support Vista/Seven and i5 with i7 processors.

But one thing I really need - total compability with steam works, like now with HL2. I'm tired to use some soft like Xfire and HLSW. I wonna have an autoupdate, language select, friend list and join features. I wanna see mod realises like it was with Zombie Mod, Insurgency etc.

Just image. Spring of 2011. BF3 realise. U preload and buy the game. Start playing. Inviting a friend to server. After some days come first update. No need manual search and downloads. One year later we see mod realise like Project Reality or Eve of Destruction 3.

P.S. I hope EA don't wont to make own "Steam" or something like Rockstar do.

Edited by Beginner

Never shall BF be infected by such a crappy system as Steam! If something should be made, it should be a custom.. It's no big problem to include auto-patch download..

Anyway. almost forgot: Welcome to the forums :D

I can't see crappy things in this system. Please, explain why do u think that? Autoupdate its only one good feature of systems like Steam. Friends, groups and invite features are more useful for me. It's easy way to give some info about new mods, DLC, packs, addons when all players start the Steam before start the game.

All I saw from EA its crappy window "EA message" when start BF2, poor friend system in BF2142 and a lot of accounts on both games - part of them makes only for change own nicks and part from cheaters with dynamic IP.

Anyway. EA already trying Steam.

I like it too :D Also, you are safe if you need to reformat or so..

I dont like Steam because i know so many people who have been banned from multiple games because of hacking. Was not their fault, and they couldn't play anymore. Simple reason..

• 2 weeks later...

I would prefer a DVD version as well, but when it will be download only, I would actually prefer Steam over that EA Download Manager crap. Also, EA is too confusing with all those accounts that are being created when you create a new soldier or something (look at this mess below, don't want to start talking about all the different account management pages, oh god....). So in terms of account management and everything, Steam is the only good platform on the market today.

accountchaos.th.jpg icon8.gif

Edited by wolfi

• 3 months later...

I love steam, didnt use to, but its grown on me alot, plus i play tf2 and l4d too much, and i just got very into the source engine, so im a big steam fan now :)

and no cb, ea don't own valve, but it wount be long i bet :P

Edited by Bensta

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Steam doesn't stop you buying physical copies - even most (if not all) valve games can be bought in store and then associated (or whatever they call it) with your steam account by using the serial number.

I love steam, compared to the time limited shit that is the EA download manager and the stupidity of trawling for bf2 patches to install, having a system that keeps your games up to date, pushes immediate updates and hot fixes and allows you to download all your games if you have to format your pc etc is just fantastic. Add in the integrated friends system/chat/stats and its even better. Sure when it first started there were a lot of bugs, but now it seems pretty solid. Personally I've not had any problems in the last few years and never any that couldn't be overcome fairly easily.

Its a year since EA started adding their games to steam, I wouldn't be surprised if EA did make a move in the future to buy Steam off Valve and perhaps even Valve itself. I hope not, that would be another good developer gone although already they seem to be heading towards the console market.

Steam certainly reduces the number of games on physical discs - I would have gotten Garry's Mod had it been available on DVD rather than paying over the internet and having to download a rather huge file.

I also don't like the fact that 50% of the profit from sales over Steam goes to Valve, and the other 50% to the developers. Considering Valve doesn't really have to do a whole lot (no DVDs to be made and boxed), that's not a fair distribution of money.

I also don't like the fact that 50% of the profit from sales over Steam goes to Valve, and the other 50% to the developers. Considering Valve doesn't really have to do a whole lot (no DVDs to be made and boxed), that's not a fair distribution of money.

Really, there a source for that? 50% sounds a huge percentage. However, in principal they're doing the job of a game retailer so should absolutely take a percentage at a similar rate to a retailer. To be honest, if Valve take money from EA then that sounds great to me!

Really, there a source for that? 50% sounds a huge percentage. However, in principal they're doing the job of a game retailer so should absolutely take a percentage at a similar rate to a retailer. To be honest, if Valve take money from EA then that sounds great to me!

50% is what they say when you ask them.

I agree with Junglist 100%.

I doubt BF3 or BC2 will have Steam support though, considering DICE is EA owned and their system is in competition. Then again, look at Microsoft Word on Mac platforms...

EA have signed up to steam though so I expect they may well be there.

But as they'll also be available to buy in a box from a shop I don't really see what the problem is, those that want to DL can (and far better from steam than the shit that is EA Downloader) and those that want a hard copy can pop to their local store and get it.

Well, the problem is that down the track the cost of boxing and producing CDs will be pushed out of mainstream by the far cheaper process of just uploading to a Steam server. That said, Steam is opening it's own disc manufacturing division, so there's life in the old girl yet.

Apparently EA Downloader is renamed to something now, but I don't remember what.

Ahhh "EA Download Manager" and "EA Store". Yeah, I definitely prefer Steam to those alternatives. Of course it will be put on both.