Official BF Editor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
[EA]LexLuther

Custom Color/Detail maps and Material ID’s Tutorial

Custom Color/Detail maps and Material ID’s Oh My!

This how-to describes step by step the process of creating materials that can be applied to custom color and detail maps.

NOTE: this is not an official or supported method for creating levels in BF2. If this method does not work it is NOT a bug or an issue with the editor.

1. Create your custom Color and Detail Maps outside the editor (Make sure to save all the color and detail maps in the correct .DDS format ARGB 8:8:8:8).

2. Open your map with the custom Color and Detail Maps option in the Terrain Editor.

3. Select the paint tool and assign your detail and material ID’s to the correct layers (You do not need a color texture selected).

Detail Color Chart:

tx0*x0*_1

Blue = Layer 1

Green = Layer 2

Red = Layer 3

tx0*x0*_2

Blue = Layer 4

Green = Layer 5

Red = Layer 6

4. Now paint a small area on each detail in your map with the matching layer detail (This helps the editor recognize where the material types belong).

5. Then save and manually select the following option(s) if they are not already selected: Color Texture, Compiled Detail and Color Texture, Compiled Terrain, Detailed Texture, Ground Properties, Level Settings, Terrain.

The editor will now create a new HeightmapPrimary.mat file with the correct material types for your entire map. Hopes this is easy enough to follow.

oops man I did it again how does it allow guest to post anyway... thanks for the above tutorial that I have been looking for for days...also if anyone needs to know about how to play sounds in the editor let me know or look in the tutorials section I put the correct path all sounds need to be in...

could someone that knows how to accomplish this put this in lamens terms for us noobs (me, I admitt it). I have successfully created the color maps, not a problem. I'm just not grasping the detail maps part. Or the opening the map with custom color and detail maps option. It would be much appreciated for help in this matter.

Thank You

Khaos

just a little addon for details images...I had learned to make one whenever I use to make terrains for JO. You can make your own if you have a digital camera that you can port the image onto you computer...Just open the image up in photoshop, resize to 512x512 then save as a dds file as mentioned above....the directory the Editor looks for Detail images is in modsbf2CommonTerrainTexturesDetail

You can make your own just be creative...or find some out there on the net...

I thought this was useful so I am bringing back to the font.and if a Moderator would be kind to sticky this one because it took me 2 days to find it. I think it would help alot peeps who are making their own custom colormaps and detail texutures...Thanks

If we stickied every tutorial everyone finds useful, then you would still have to use search as all the topics would be stickied. :lol:

Added to tutorial directory sticky though.

Just open the image up in photoshop, resize to 512x512 then save as a dds file as mentioned above....

Can somebody post their DDS plug-in settings somewhere in here? Saving a DDS doesnt seem as straightforward as you all make it out to be.

There's 25 format options in the first dropdown - when I use the default one (DXT1 RGB (No Alpha)) after touching up a colormap for example, the file size for that image is far smaller than when painting in the Editor and it looks totally awful when imported. Also seems like it saves space for a mipmap on the Preview even if you tell it no mipmaps.

Oh - and when you open an image in Photoshop in the first place, should you use the Default sizes or convert to 8 bit / 16 bit?

LexLuther]1. Create your custom Color and Detail Maps outside the editor (Make sure to save all the color and detail maps in the correct .DDS format ARGB 8:8:8:8 )

There you go, you needed to re-read the tutorial.

Oh - and when you open an image in Photoshop in the first place, should you use the Default sizes or convert to 8 bit / 16 bit?

I use default.

DOH! 8) Thanks for pointing that out to me. Somebody make that bold and pink plz. *heh*