Official BF Editor Forums
clivewil

P-51d Mustang And Bf-109e Emil

(this post also duplicated at BFSP freeforums)

here's a couple of WW2 toys i made for my own personal mod - a P-51D Mustang and a Messerschmitt Bf-109E Emil - for free use by the BF2 community. yes they are too old to suit BF2 but they are still a bit of fun for a while anyway. as usual, you can re-name, re-paint and re-code these as you like. you can put them into any BF2 mod you like, though i can't imagine there will be much call for that...

the Mustang carries 8 rockets in addition to its guns; the Emil carries a 250kg bomb. there is a ReadMe included with basic install instructions.

*** IMPORTANT *** - There is two versions of these aircraft, one download set is marked 'German' and the other is marked 'Historic' - The German set has no Hakenkreuz (swastika) on the tail fin, whereas the Historic version does have it. It is the responsibility of the downloader/user to ensure that they download and use the correct set, in accordance with the laws of their country. Both sets are identical apart from this one detail.

Emil ('German' version shown)

Emil1.jpg

Emil2.jpg

Mustang

P51_1.jpg

P51_2.jpg

P51_3.jpg

P51_4.jpg

P51_5.jpg

**EDIT** - Now included in Warbirds II, updated links below

Download links:

WITHOUT Hakenkreuz, suitable for use in Germany:

http://www.clivewil.battlefieldsingleplaye...s_II_German.zip

WITH Hakenkreuz, NOT suitable for use in Germany:

http://www.clivewil.battlefieldsingleplaye...II_Historic.zip

Edited by clivewil

Hello, lovely in all point, the first shot with Mustang & all details on wing make's me think it's not bf2 !

Thx to share them. (and all the rest).

B.R.

Those are brilliant, thanks for sharing. I feel the need to create a small WW2 arcade minimod now :D

Nice work champ

I know there would be many people out there who would love to make air vehicles,but would have no idea where to start

Would you ever consider making some type of tutorial

Programs needed,and if there are free or demos available

Getting started,basic texturing etc

thanks. i'm already well into building their successor, and am nearly ready to unwrap it and start texturing

IX_00.jpg

IX_01.jpg

re tutorials, cajunwolf over at BFSP has already asked me to do a couple. MS has already done a good exporting tute here, but as far as the actual modeling goes i'd probably not do one for that for a few reasons:

1. i HATE typing and a 'how to model a plane' tute would be pretty big if it was to be reasonably detailed

2. i'm not sure i'm doing it correctly. there's probably much better workflows than mine; i am very old-school

3. there's already a billion 3ds max tutes out there in internetland

the bulk of that info is only a google away so why re-invent the wheel, but i am thinking about doing some pre-planning, general overview and modeling considerations, and texturing tips etc. because i haven't seen much of those that are relevant to BF2 specifically.

nice Spitfire. What version is it?

well that's a bit of a sore point, it started as a Mk. V type but i never liked the assymetric radiator setup on the early ones so i gave it dual radiators, and opened up a whole can of worms by doing so.

Mk. V never had dual radiators, that's more like a Mk. IX which meant i had to lengthen and re-do the nose, and IX's never had an all-MG armament so it had to have cannon instead. the most common config you see in pics is 2x cannon, 4x MG but BF2 can't handle having 2 weapons of different types firing at once (well it can, but not 'properly') so that meant having 4x cannon instead

so after all that mucking around, i guess it's now a Spitfire IX with the Universal 'C' type wing and 4x Hispano cannon sticking out like lampposts, and those bloody huge teardrop blisters ruining the upper wings :(

i should have just deleted one radiator earlier and saved myself all the hassles.

i expect the split flaps to cause a bit of z-fighting/flickering on some people's PCs (depending on the map played) but i couldn't bring myself to either leave them off or make them into the standard drop-type flap instead, which would just look utterly wrong. so far in my tests i get a tiny bit of flickering but not too much, *fingers crossed* it won't get worse...

1. i HATE typing and a 'how to model a plane' tute would be pretty big if it was to be reasonably detailed

2. i'm not sure i'm doing it correctly. there's probably much better workflows than mine; i am very old-school

3. there's already a billion 3ds max tutes out there in internetland

I was more referring to a very basic tut ie..

order of jobs...make model,export,unwrap,texture or however it goes

programs needed and if they are free

basic explaination of terms,i even bet there are people out there know dont even know what exporting means :blink:

well that's a bit of a sore point, it started as a Mk. V type but i never liked the assymetric radiator setup on the early ones so i gave it dual radiators, and opened up a whole can of worms by doing so.

Mk. V never had dual radiators, that's more like a Mk. IX which meant i had to lengthen and re-do the nose, and IX's never had an all-MG armament so it had to have cannon instead. the most common config you see in pics is 2x cannon, 4x MG but BF2 can't handle having 2 weapons of different types firing at once (well it can, but not 'properly') so that meant having 4x cannon instead

so after all that mucking around, i guess it's now a Spitfire IX with the Universal 'C' type wing and 4x Hispano cannon sticking out like lampposts, and those bloody huge teardrop blisters ruining the upper wings :(

i should have just deleted one radiator earlier and saved myself all the hassles.

i expect the split flaps to cause a bit of z-fighting/flickering on some people's PCs (depending on the map played) but i couldn't bring myself to either leave them off or make them into the standard drop-type flap instead, which would just look utterly wrong. so far in my tests i get a tiny bit of flickering but not too much, *fingers crossed* it won't get worse...

Well that's quite the story there :) You should do more. Not only does it satisfy my taste for planes (as I'm a pilot nub) but they will always have a place in FH2.

Did you see my pm to you?

yep Trahn i'll get back to you later today, very busy atm. won't be long

This gives me an idea. Maybe you could start a whole new network game with just two models (ala Jane's Air Combat (which actually had several))

Texture a map with just two (or more airfields and some buildings), with maybe an ocean between, with your multispawning aircraft models at each base, and spawn the soldiers instantly inside the aircraft.

Get some basic multiplayer network code worked out, and you could bootstrap yourself to a very basic air combat game, upon which you could buildout (over the years) a full game

i.e., a soldier vehicle model; then a tank; a jeep; a parachute; other vehicles, destructible buildings, etc

Probably would be more playable to start this way, than to start with a soldier vehicle, and work your way up from there like I originally thought. Start from a flight sim perspective, focusing on air/ground interaction, rather than starting from a footsoldier perspective with aircraft grafted on.

If I were to start, I'd dispense with the ground and all ground interaction at first, just throw down a textured flat ground plane for reference, and create a spawn screen where you chose the aircraft to spawn into. And then poof, you are spawned into 3D space right near a dogfight in progress inside the plane (instant action mode). You dogfight in the fray until you die, at which point, you chose another (or the same aircraft) and spawn back in again (maybe inside a cloud, to hide aircraft popping out of thin air, facing the right direction). Dispense at the start with making a complex HUD or even a HUD at all, and make the aircraft physics to be fun and easy to fly. Remodel a version of each aircraft into several variations of destructiable parts to disintegrate into in various ways when it takes fire. You don't need a million outside aircraft views.

After that I would add a feature for people to be able to connect using their own customized plane model, either repainted versions of your first two, or entirely new ones they made from scratch. As more aircraft models were built by the homebrew community it would really explode. Might be more realistic to start with WW1 birds, as they were often painted and personalized in crazy color schemes, at least on the german side, though even for me most of them are too pokey to be fun anymore.

Edited by cobrachoppergirl

Remodel a version of each aircraft into several variations of destructiable parts to disintegrate into in various ways when it takes fire.
Get some basic multiplayer network code worked out, and you could bootstrap yourself to a very basic air combat game, upon which you could buildout (over the years) a full game

holy crap, that's a lot of work. after 4 years of doing this stuff on a daily basis, i'm looking to do less, not more :blink: and also i'm not much into online gaming. someone else is welcome to use these as a starting point for something along those lines though.

Awesome to come back to these beauties clive!

thanks TNE.

my Spitfire Mk.V is ready too, but it needs a legal set of decent engine sounds if i'm going to make it public (it's currently using some i ripped from one of my flight sims) - i might make a post here asking for submissions, seeing as BFSP isn't back on its feet yet

Spit_Top1.jpg

SpitExternal.jpg

SpitBottom.jpg

...and yesterday made a start on what will probably be my last BF2 model (but most likely that this one won't go public)

Ju87wip_00.jpg

Sounds and looks great!!

Too bad those engine sounds are so hard to find!

Last BF2 model? Sad but fair! You can honestly say that you paid your contributions to the BF community ten-fold! Anyway, can't wait to see it!