DEVILMAN

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thankyou for the positive comments

1 week ago i knew nothing about destroyables,so its all a new learning subject

so many names of statics to learn,that too a while

ideally you create destruction effect templates for different sized and materials of buildings

visually determine the height and place particles to land and cover over the "black" spots

change gravity and dispersion factors to allow more realistc effects and coverage,and make seperate debri templates for different buildings etc

all done in notepad,because i refuse to use the annoying editor

i am so glad i found this code

ObjectTemplate.armor.showDamageAsDirt 500

have had to change some material settings so metal is effected by handweapons

but its funnnnnnnnnnnnn

much much nicer!

and for a reason,now i am playing with step 3 to 6

step 1 identify object

step 2 make it destroyable

step 3 gather appropriate materials for object type

step 4 place obects correctly and setup the falling position and attributes

step 5 add smoke,fire dust effects

step 6 blow the f#!k out of everything

Oh,and thankyou for the good comment on my work,about bloody time :lol:

Yeah, definetly looking better!!

Have you any plans to release your work as a mod? SP should work well and if the multiplayer crashes the server... let it crash the server. That's the kind of modding that I miss so much. How long has it been that something like the first version of desert combat has been released. Everyone liked it but it was a better beta. Compared to those days most of the mods today are perfect...

Anyway: A singleplayer mod would be very nice :)

You should add a nuke effect when the reactor explodes, would look cool.

Nice work Devilman! Especially the crane looks cool.

But could you tell me how to spawn destroyable objects from the gamelogicinit.con?

I can't get rid of a ctd when I load :(

You should add a nuke effect when the reactor explodes, would look cool.

Nice work Devilman! Especially the crane looks cool.

i have something else in line for the reactors

as for the crane, i still need to test how mass effects falling objects,so far all objects mass are set to default

I exceeded 100 destroyable static objects a long time ago, making whole new build outs in the demo with the two destroyable bridge parts, and kept right on trucking... but then its really the same 2 objects, spawned over and over again.

Slideshow

Grid veiw

If I had to focus on what to chose as those 100, I'd concentrate on the buildings and the trees, and leave other things alone that really you wanted to be a bit more permanent, or that you couldn't setup a good destruction animation for. Leave the powerpoles and large electric lines alone, as they leave the powerlines behind.

I've heard 1024 might be the limit of spawning instances of destroyables. Wonder how many tree's total there are on a map typically, because there's a lot of trees that are suddenly now destroyable on the map.

The flame effects on the burning buildings and trees are a sweet bonus. Its my opinion a real battlefield would have a lot more burning destroyed wreckage and smoking debris than in a stock BF map.

Edited by cobrachoppergirl

I exceeded 100 destroyable static objects a long time ago, making whole new build outs in the demo with the two destroyable bridge parts, and kept right on trucking...

in debugger mode,you will get an error if you have more than 100 destroyables in a map

i have FuShe Pass with about 1900 destroyables,with no problems whatsoever in SP

note...there are publicly available maps with 500+ destroyables, which run fine on servers

These wrenchs are common in Magic Fairy XZY Swedenland. You do enough tabs of Swedish LSD anything is possible.

Like getting shot a billion times, and magically reappearing, even teleporting elsewhere

Jumping off a short building and being able to deploy a parachute, and run off from it, with it magically disappearing

Zap some dead person on the ground with no ER staff anywhere around, and bring them back to life

Fly a complex jet or helicopter like its the village bicycle

And best of all, even if you're a short white girl with ponytails, always reappear as a black US marine.

I don't know how I do that, but I always do. Yes, when i wake up in the morning all bleary eyed,

and look in the mirror to brush my teeth, that's how i see myself, a black unshaven US grunt.

These soldiers keep disappearing and magically reappearing.

Reproduction must be airsexual inside this game. Carbon and nitrogen molecules just

come together to become fully dressed warriors, complete with armor and weapons out of thin air.

And let me just say, any place where you can shoot a crate, and have a teddy bear pop out of it,

well, you know, something is patently WRONG .

What makes me laugh, are these 'Reality Mods', trying to make BF more realistic.

What a hopeless lost cause, because there is absolutely nothing realistic about the game.

If by more realistic they mean with long boring swaths of time like real combat, with sudden

instant unexpected sniper death, I guess they succeed with their mods.

Me, personally, I prefer a fake non-stop quake style ultra violence blood bath, but that's

because I'm an adrenaline junkie. When your make believe character spawns on MY server,

you're stepping into a thunder dome of Mr. Rogers make believe pixelated death.

And yeah, just like EA support for developers, its all just a fake illusion of make believe land.

The EA support ticket system is about as useful for reporting and fixing bugs in BF as your

magic fairy wrench is, to fix the same bugs.

1230.jpg

Edited by cobrachoppergirl

EA support for developers

To my knowledge that has never existed . The only support we got from EA was that they fired LBrown - the only EA contact and the one writing the first tutorials.

Never, never contact EA with technical problems. All you get is a prefabbed reply where they tell you how to reinstall the game and how to defrag your drive. Selected users might get the recommendation to return their CD for a refund.

Relying on the community is a much better bet :P

Back to the topic: I'm making a meltdown nuclear reactor. (dalian plant) instead of the random nuke in gulf of oman.

How can I make a nice looking destroyed version of the coolingtower?

I made one in 3ds, but that was a fail, there were holes and the entire tower was black...

I used meshview to get the .obj file of the coolingtower, and in 3ds I used the 4th mesh.

I do know how to edit meshes, but how can I make a (hole-free and) well textures destroyed coolingtower?

Thanks.

Erm, the topic is 'Showcase' where DEVILMAN presents his destroyables in the AIX mod, not 'how do i model a ruin' :P

But here's a brief answer:

Importing an OBJ will lead to nothing as long as you don't maintain the texture coordinates and have them exported with the OBJ. Better import the BF2 object using the PoE2 tools and then start to wreck it.

Note that collisionmeshes need to be modelled anew as no tools imports them.

SP should work well and if the multiplayer crashes the server... let it crash the server.

All "falling" objects use the same destruction base code,as the destroyable stop signs,which do work on a server

Some trees were tested on the weekend on a server,without any problems whatsoever