Official BF Editor Forums
Autolycus

How To Rename A Map In Battlefield 2?

I have edited a Battlefield 2 map, and now I wanna change its name. Let's suppose the actual name is "Defaultname". I want to change it in "Defaultname_Night", because I want to make available both maps in the BF2 maplist, so that I'll be able to play on both in the same session.

Now, I've changed all the entries in server.zip and/or client zip in the *.con files from "Defaultname" to "Defaultname_Night", I modified the Info dir, and also I've put all files in a newly created dir called "Defaultname_Night" .

It doesn't work, bf2 crashes to desktop when I try to load a map.

Maybe I can change the name in the BF2 Editor, but I can't find the option. ("Save As" doesn't work).

Please help me with this! I'm kind of desperate.

Hi welcome to BFeditor.org.

I suggest you take a look at some of the already written threads, and use the search feature. You will find that this is a question that have been answered many times before.

Yur basic problem is the existence of the mapname in the compiled 'terraindata.raw' file. If your new mapname has exactly the same length as the original mapname you might get away with a 'Find & Replace' using your favourite HexEditor . This is the quickest way. I have renamed a few maps using SourceEdit's 'Find&Replace in Files' feature within seconds.

Note that you have to rename the /info/<MAPNAME>.desc file for the new map,too.

But if the new mapname doesn't match you somehow need to load the map in editor and write out a new terraindata.raw

Edited by mschoeldgen[Xww2]

If your new mapname has exactly the same length as the original mapname you might get away with a 'Find & Replace' using your favourite HexEditor .

the terraindata.raw isn't fixed field so you don't need to worry so much about the name string length, i have many renamed clone maps with names both longer and shorter than the originals were, i.e. Dalian_Plant_II, Dragon_Valley_II, Juggernaut (OperationRoadRage) and so on

XVI32 is the hex editor i use for that operation, it is free and works fine

remember to make the terraindata.raw writeable before you start. it should find/replace 4 occurences of the name if all has gone properly. make sure you set both Find and Replace fields to type 'Text String' and not 'Hex String'

I need to change my mod's name.

How to do this should be a sticky or right at the first of any map/mod tutorial when first setting up a mod/map. Almost all of them say name it "MyMod" and "my_level if it doesn't say it already". That's fine so long as you provide info how to change it later, but so far, none say how that I can find.

Can someone explain how to use the xvi32 hex editor? Got it installed but not sure what files(s) I need to open or how to use this thing.

I'm trying to change the mod and level name of the mod I'm making. I didn't have a name nailed down when I started the mod, so it's called the standard MyMod and my_level as instructed in tutorials, but none of the tuts say how to change it later once a name is decided on.

I've done alot of searching but no clear details on how to change a mod's name. Done several searches here, but nothing I can find as yet. I've searched "change mod name", "map name change", etc, contrary to what TNE26 said, which isn't helpful at all and seeing they didn't point to where the question has been asnwered "many times before", why even post a reply!

Changing the mod name doesn't require other things beside renaming the mod folder and the contents of the 'mod.desc' file in your mod. Editing 'mod.desc' can be done with any texteditor.

Preferably use lowercase names.

Renaming a map is far more complicated. Either load the map in Terrain Editor and 'Save As...' under the new name or use sth. like your xvi32 hex editor - do this only if you're a file expert. In any case the maps need to be uncompressed and ( when using the editor ) you should have the correct /editor folder in them.

Edited by mschoeldgen[Xww2]

Thanks again for your replys.

I think changing the mod sounds easy enough.

So far though, I'm not clear on changing the level(map) name of "my_level". When you say "load the map", are you saying load the "MyMod", then "my_level" in the editor like normal? I could really use an explanation how to do this instead of a cryptic comment. I really apprecite your reply, but you managed to explain nothing. All the hex editor does is locate the files in question right? Any idea how to actually use the hex editor? And you say "uncompressed", but I'm afraid I'm not clar what you mean by that. Unless the folder is zipped, it's uncompressed unless your meaing something else. And where do I find "you should have the correct folder in them" instructions? What folder and where?

Help a brother out and point me to some specifics that actualy explain something.

File expert? Well, not an expert, but I manage, so long as I have clear explanations, but I haven't found anything clear on how to do this name change thing, regardless of people saying "that's already been explained many times...", or some smart remark "try doing a search". That gets old as we all know to search for things. If something could be found, maybe the questions wouldn't be asked over and over. Maybe it's a testament to the forums search function really sucking bad as it never gives related search results. I do a search and wonder what the search function is doing because the results are always unrelated and make no sense at all. The worst search function I've ever encountered on a site. The search function acts like nothing more than a random post generator!

Modders and mappers have been their own worst enemy when it comes to BF2. All this time and there is still complete confusion on how to do the most common things like changing a map or mod name. I havent seen clear and correct intructions on alot of this stuff after all these years. People really dont know how to write instructions apparently because I've seen alot of "do this and that", but rarely is it actiually explained, and the worst part is people not being clear on where files and folders go. Not enough people posting the actual COMPLETE file paths. Instead they post a file name and thats it with no explanation where that file is. WAY too much assuming going on, and thus we have all these questions still being asked years later. Even the "The Most Complete Guide..." at FH2 WaW is far from being close to complete as there is tons of scattered info I've collected that is nowhere mentioned in that tutorial.

Sorry, having a flashback to the anger and frustrations I had 3 years ago with modding BF2. I'm remembering real quick why I stopped tha last time. No wonder people are dropping BF2. IF BF3 doesn't have an editor, the whole series is done in my opinion unless people can step up and actually write a complete tutorial on BF2 mods/maps.

This really sucks as BF gameplay is what I like the most about the game. Others have MUCH BETTER editors and mod/map communities, but they don't have the BF gameplay style. The most successful games that last are the ones with mapping and modding. Look at Unreal and Counter Strike. If it wasn't for the modders, those games wouldn't have gotten anywhere near the attention because the actual gameplay is glorified lonewolf chaos and not much else. Just a bunch of players running around with their hair on fire.

I guess many are like me in that they don't want to put much effort into BF2 if BF3 will have a shiny new editor along with completely different way to mod and map for BF3 and the Frostbite engine.

Hey,

Uncompressed means the unzipped version.

And you simply load the map from within your mod in the editor then switch to the terrain editor and File->Save as.. enter your new name and click OK.

Bergerkiller has written a tool to rename maps too. You can find it in his tool compilation: http://productions.lostpirates.co.uk/downloads/LPP%20BF%20Collection%20Setup.exe

I agree with you that we might have missed to collect and write down information clearly in the past 5 years. Most of it does exist however but it's scattered in the forums. Also there are many good tutorials.

I'd say there are still like 70% of the tweak codes not clearly explained. However I'm sure if everyone would provide his knowledge we could have less than 10% missing.

There was an attempt to collect everything by starting a wiki on this website but people did't really contribute...

But I would make DICE/EA responsible for the lack of support.. We had to figure out most by ourselves.

Edited by Cassio

Thanks Cassio, I'll check it out.(the link is bad!)

It is what seems a rather basic thing, seeing most tuts I've seen are copies of tha same tut that tells people to name it MyMod and my_lvel and not say anything about renaming. It's kind of a nobrainer.

I agree the info is out there among themany modders and mappers, but like you said, most don't participate in sharing what they know, and really I said they are mostly too busy themselves to go writing detailed tutorials or better yet make videos like one person did only to have Youtube pull them, and then the person pops in months later to say oh well I'm out of modding months ago, I didn't save any of the videos and I had a pc crash so they are all gone. You can't tell me there is no one out there that has those videos saved. I suspect EA was behind the YouTube deal. Like you said, particiaption is lacking.

I'm surprised someone hasn't offered to pay some coder to figure it all out, write tools for not just 3dsMax, but the free tools like GIMP and Gmax, as most people like me can't afford to buy those apps so we have to use the free stuff or use illegal software, which I no longer will do, and I won't have somebody else do work unless they own their software.

Indeed the community has done pretty darn good with this game, in spite of the lack of support from EA and DICE.

If the good Lord will smile on us game tweekers just a little, MAYBE we can get a brand new editor with BF3 this year. God willing and the creek don't rise!

Edited by Bossgator

Yeah, I've got those, though I haven't done any modeling stuff yet.

I tried to download the Bergerkiller tools collection, but it was empty! and all the links are down. Too bad as that would be a very handy tool.

So far though, I'm not clear on changing the level(map) name of "my_level". When you say "load the map", are you saying load the "MyMod", then "my_level" in the editor like normal? I could really use an explanation how to do this instead of a cryptic comment. I really apprecite your reply, but you managed to explain nothing.

I thought you at least have read the 'official' tutorials by LBrown, something i'd like to recommend to you strongly. And why not browse our extensive tutorial section ? That at least you could have done.

Modders and mappers have been their own worst enemy when it comes to BF2. All this time and there is still complete confusion on how to do the most common things like changing a map or mod name

Well, most of the modders have settled the name of their mod or their maps BEFORE they start tampering with the files. A little bit of planning never hurts :P

And there's a comprehensive thread about renaming maps on BFSP :

http://www.battlefieldsingleplayer.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2998

Posts like yours ( done without even a little research ) surely fill up our forums and don't help in retrieving information from it - instead they only fill up the database. If everybody would 'SearchBeforePost' we would probably have one of the most useful forums for the Battlefield Series on the net.

Let me have look at your recent posts :

http://www.bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=1716&st=315

You didn't read the instructions for TPaint.

http://www.bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=13782&st=15

Ahh, you're missing a working link to bergerkillers tools. Why not send him a PM instead ?

http://www.bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9045&st=30

I wonder why you ever posted in the BGF Heightmap Utility thread with your TPaint problem ...

You see how the posts fill up - and mind you , its not only you but everybody does it instead of first browsing the forums for a few days, especially our tutorials. Its for guys like you that we collected all these fine articles.

Check your pm. What I have to say in response needs to be said in private.

But I will point out this...

Changing the mod name doesn't require other things beside renaming the mod folder and the contents of the 'mod.desc' file in your mod. Editing 'mod.desc' can be done with any texteditor.

Preferably use lowercase names.

Renaming a map is far more complicated. Either load the map in Terrain Editor and 'Save As...' under the new name or use sth. like your xvi32 hex editor - do this only if you're a file expert. In any case the maps need to be uncompressed and ( when using the editor ) you should have the correct /editor folder in them.

Why didn't you just give me the link to the single player thread in the first place? What you told me in your post conflicts with what that thread says, and may explain why what you said to do didn't work and caused my map to crash. And you wonder why people keep asking the same questions!

Edited by Bossgator

just edit this files on your text editor...

client.zip\Lightmaps\Objects\LightmapAtlas.tai

client.zip\terraindata.raw ( for this file you gonna need a hexadecimal editor )

server.zip\CompiledRoads.con

server.zip\Heightdata.con

server.zip\Init.con

server.zip\Sky.con

server.zip\Terrain.con

server.zip\UndergrowthAtlas.tai

server.zip\Overgrowth\Overgrowth.con

server.zip\Overgrowth\OvergrowthAtlas.tai

info\old_name.desc to info\new_name.desc

new_name.desc

Thank you!

For many people, this kind of stuff is confusing and requires a little more detail on what to do. Please bear with me and others when we ask that you explain this in better detail.

1) I'm assuming all those files are in "...Mymod\levels\my_level"

2) There is a terraindata.raw in MyMod\levels, and also in the levels\my_level\client.zip.(not one in server.zip) Should both of these be changed?

How do I use the hex editor? I've never used one, and I'm no software person, so sometimes I'm not so sharp when it comes to anything other than image files that can be opened in a photo editor or a 3d file.

When I opened the file with XVI32.exe, it's a big checkerboard kinda like Excel with hex numbers in each box. At that point I don't have a clue! :blink:

3) There is no LightmapAtlas.tai in "client.zip\Lightmaps\Objects\LightmapAtlas.tai". There is a file named LightmapAtlas0.dds only.

4)Change every instance in a file the has the map name I assume. Is there upper/lower case issues?

5) I don't have the over and under growth yet. I don't do those till nearly last.

Also the "old_name.desc" in my_level\info, looks like this is at least once place to change others things like map description. Is this file where the text stuff on the map loading screen such as "Map Briefing" is changed?

Edited by Bossgator

That saves a copy in a new name of the level, but doesn't change the mod's name. I've already done that and now use the copy for testing, but maybe I'm not clear on the whole name thing anyways. I realized the only time the mod name actually comes into play is when using the editor, right? I mean when playing the level, all the graphics display the level name, not the mod name I think. Is that correct?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the mod name really only for the editor? When you play a mod, it's running in effect as a stand alone game, and that game has one level to it, "my_level". That is if you have set up a desktop icon with a direct load of the mod, instead of loading vanilla and them activating the mod that way. In that case, yes, the mod name is displayed in the game.

To change a mod name:

1. Rename folder.

2. ???

3. Profit!

It's literally just the folder name, and while there's a meme editor workspace with the name of your mod, it's ignored so you don't need to worry about it.

Hey Uber, CarzyIvan says you know a thing or two about all this. Thanks for the reply.

So the mod name doesn't really need changing then?

I'm afraid I don't understand this..."while there's a meme editor workspace with the name of your mod".

Just go to..."C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods" and change the folder "MyMods" name? That's it?

Just that one folder name? That would be par for the course as I've had this question all this time, and done all kinds of searching And got cryptic short answers that some caused my map to crash, and it boils down to just rename a single folder? :unsure:

Thank you sir! Nothing like a straight up answer. Makes things so much more friendly. Ivan has nothing but good things to say about you, and I can see why. Again, thanks. ;)

One more thing I'd suggest.

Change the mods name for the ingame "custom games" menu using one of these 2 ways:

modchange.jpg

Finally got around to trying this out after I was able to change the level name in the my_level.desc in the "mymod\levels\my_level\" path so it now shows the level name instead of "my_level".

The mod name change didn't work. Had a CTD when I clicked "Create Local". Changed everything back, and it works fine again.

Is there a naming convention that should be used, like use underscore for spaces? I tried two ways: 1) IB Training Grounds and 2) IB_TrainingGrounds

I changed the mod folder name and the in-editor Mod Manager. I actually use the other method to change it back by changing the name in the mod.desc.

Rename a map? Use the Level Renamer program I made :P

here some info explaining the differences:

- The lightmapobjects.tai file is very delicate, even removing a tab causes a crash.

- The level folder name is used inside the bf2 core system. The levels are ordered using the level folder name, not the name in the .desc file. Also, all paths referring to a level uses the level folder name. So, you can't rename a level by just renaming the folder. You also need to change all paths referring to the old path. (My level renamer does just that)

- To rename a level you need to rename paths in the following files:

Lightmaps\Objects\LightmapAtlas.tai (be careful with tabs/spaces)

overgrowth\Overgrowth.con

overgrowth\OvergrowthAtlas.tai

CompiledRoads.con

Heightdata.con

Init.con

Sky.con

Terrain.con

UndergrowthAtlas.tai

terraindata.raw (use a hex editor, the level renamer also edits bytes instead of text)

For mod names:

Haven't really had much trouble with it; just rename the folder and change the title in the mod.desc file. Sometimes I had to change the serverarchives and clientarchives.con files.

Edited by bergerkiller

So yeah for changing the Mod Name (unless I am forgetting something) It should be all mentioned here just a bit scrambled.

1. Rename your "MyMod" folder to the desired new name, preferably something simple. (example here will be: ninjamod)Easiest way to do this is to just rename it without the editor (You'll usually find it true for most things to avoid the editor when possible. It's a bit buggy and loves to cause issues.)

2. Next, you'll want to open your mod folder (now called ninjamod) and edit Mod.desc

3. Find the line "<title> MyMod </title>" and change it to what you want your official mod name to be. (example: <title> Ninja Mod </title>)

4. That should be it. Step 2 and 3 should be optional but it's good to have a unique name there from other Mods so other mod servers don't pop up when you filter by "Same Mod". As Uber said you should only need to rename the mod folder's name. Steps 2 and 3 should also be what is displayed in-game.

If your still having problems just let me know and maybe you can help me find out what is giving you an error. As far as Level renaming I am unsure.

Edited by CrazyIvan1745