Official BF Editor Forums

Bergerkiller's Modding Tools

bergerkiller

Not really. I got the meshes to load and the textures to be applied, but there's a simple but serious problem regarding the texture atlases that are used. It has to re-generate the undergrowth atlases when you change the texture, and I have no idea how to make a good algorithm to generate this.

Kind of stepped out of vb .net and learning c++ now, since c++ has more capabilities in game design. For example, loops are a lot faster in c++, making the "drawable and animate-able object count" larger. :D

If you need a simple mesh viewer and texture applier, it is easy to make. I can easily build a simple undergrowth editor where you can combine meshes with textures, the saving part is just impossible to make. :(

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tnx :P

I got all render bits to work, but alpha is missing, it will not surrender to me yet :lol:

Bit more work on it and I can publish it as a simple separate program. You can drag and drop the undergrowth .obj meshes and .dds textures found in: "bf2editor\Content\Terrain\Undergrowth" onto the screen or executable to display them. I'll see if I add animation to it; it depends :)

Also renders a simple plane terrain and skydome, just to ease the orientation of the camera.

Edited by bergerkiller

Just one :D

Can easily be extended to 1000+ since all the drawing is the following line:

Device.Draw(geom, New Vector3(0, 0, 0), New Vector3(0, 0, 0))

I use my custom made GraphicsEngine (that on its turn uses DirectX), and due to its user friendly interface I can easily modify it. ;)

For example, textures are simply done with the line:

Device.SetTexture("skytex", My.Resources.sky)

EDIT

Solved all errors by adding a variable "ZBuffer" setting. Change it on what type you want, disable it if the texture has transparency. Disabled by default.

I uploaded the program to filefront (see first post), click in the screen to move around and right click for the settings menu.

Download Undergrowth displayer HERE (is no setup)

sc.jpg

Edited by bergerkiller

Then comes the regular list of questions:

- Do you have the latest .NET framework installed?

- Are you running a 64 bit OS (can cause problems)

- What is the resolution of your screen?

- Is there any message from the JIT error tracker or other?

Ow and I guess you need DirectX 9.0c for best results. Since BF2 also requires this, I believe this can't be a problem.

EDIT

I did some testing on another computer running XP, and it is most likely related to DirectX.

It simply fails to create the device, so nothing what I can solve, really.

All I can recommend is to update the graphics drivers and DirectX.

I hope it's not related to a missing DirectX functionality on your graphics card :(

Download Undergrowth Displayer (bug-report)

Edited by bergerkiller

Yeah to be fair, I also had doubts of what exactly he wanted...since the editor can do all this as well.

At least it can view undergrowth, it was one of the things he wanted. Don't worry, making the "GraphicsEngine" for personal use was taking most of my time. Making this program only took me around 2 hours. :D

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Damn more and more problems with the 64 bit version...although I thought the updater did work.

Well here is a manual install way:

Goto: FileAve files

Download the installers needed. Do not run yet(!)

Make a folder in the collection installation folder called "Installers"

Put the setups in there.

Run the setups in the "Installers" folder.

This is basically what the updater does, so it should work just fine. :D

Just an update here, im now on the 32bit version of windows 7 and i ge tthe exact same problem, 0 byte files when trying to download the tools using the collections installer.

• 4 weeks later...

Tried both 32bit and 64bit OS but LPP does not update.

It generates a 'time out' error.

fileave seems to be problematic as well?

this link does not work http://bergerkiller.fileave.com/

the handy tool collection #1 downloads ok but #2 just downloads a html file?

p.s

your lostpirates link does not work also :(

http://productions.lostpirates.co.uk/

Edited by SirPoprt

Ow productions site has been dead for a while now :P

I'll just upload the installers to FileFront, hopefully FileFront is accessible to everyone.

The first post will be updated with the links, installation instructions above.

Ow productions site has been dead for a while now :P

I'll just upload the installers to FileFront, hopefully FileFront is accessible to everyone.

The first post will be updated with the links, installation instructions above.

Nice one :) Thanks

Difference with renamer 1.35 is that there are no zip files now.

Is it better to zip them up into 'client' and 'server' or leave as is?

Also I can't get an 'intelligence report' to show up?

the blurb with the map loading screen.

Edited by SirPoprt

Difference is you can now choose whether or not to pack your level. I used it to get a level to display in the editor without messing up the original zip file hierarchy.

Client-side renaming means actually renaming everything, and adding the unmodified dds/terrain heightmap files.

Server-side renaming means renaming the con files to use the original level as the client source, and using it's own server files.

For example, you can make "Gulf_of_Oman_nuke" and make this level load the "Gulf_of_Oman" colormaps, detailmaps, lightmaps, terrain data etc. For total conversion use the client (total) rename feature.

I don't know of any intelligence report...anyways I did not add any RAM usage info in the renamer / level info displayer, since it would require me to actually load all of the terraindata and every single object used. It would make everything extremely slow, and using pre-configured "object RAM info" would cause untrue information.

• 3 weeks later...

Found the problem with using the level renamer for BF2142 maps. In the map's description [map name].desc file, the map name is not set correctly for BF2142. Unlike BF2, the map name in the map name tag has to match exactly, including underscores. The result is that you can select the map from the list, but if you try to launch the map, you get an error that the map could not be found.

For the map Liberation_of_Leipzig_Night, the renamer is setting the map name tag as:

'<name> Liberation of Leipzig Night </name>'

when it needs to be this:

'<name> Liberation_of_Leipzig_Night </name>'

Other than that it works great. Thanks for the work on the tools!

Ow you mean bf2142 no longer allows string expressions after the name tag?

In that case, for bf2142, set the title to a name that exists in the localization file. ;)

Does this work as title when you use it?:

<name> "Liberation of Leipzig Night" </name>

or

<name> 'Liberation of Leipzig Night' </name>
Edited by bergerkiller