Official BF Editor Forums

Bfbc2 Or Bf3 Editor?

i agree - the Cry editors are nice but have their flaws nevertheless.

And the engine is chaotic . Ever looked at a LUA script of a vehicle ? Ever tried to create a flyable plane for Crysis/FarCry ? Forget it - it won't work.

Now that they introduced XML for vehicle coding in addition to LUA its even more hard to tell which does what :blink:

Oh, for the love of god.. and on christmas eve.. must be a miracle!

Brace yourselves..

Hmm, that's a pretty good skeletal animation system there. I wonder if it uses inverse-kinematics for the legs to interact with the terrain like that. The downside is that the hair looks a little unnatural, and the sounds get a bit repetitive after a while. Still, looks promising, even if the dancing was a bit of a surprise. Looks like DICE has a lot of time on their hands if that's what the editor can do.

Edited by UberWazuSoldier

• 2 weeks later...
Hmm, that's a pretty good skeletal animation system there. I wonder if it uses inverse-kinematics for the legs to interact with the terrain like that. The downside is that the hair looks a little unnatural, and the sounds get a bit repetitive after a while. Still, looks promising, even if the dancing was a bit of a surprise. Looks like DICE has a lot of time on their hands if that's what the editor can do.

a quote right from DiCE concerning BFBC2

Mod Tools: There will not be mod tools for BFBC2. However a majority of the the games logic is controlled by the server and there will be Serverside control options for the dedicated servers.

I think they started but did not complete the mod tools (Kinda like BF2's) but I think a mod system is in place so modding could be like BF1942 and BFV again.

Trying to remember, did DICE build frostbite or get it off a shelf? Might have an impact on whether they'll use a custom archive system or not. Irrespective as I understand it most custom archives are 'relatively' simple to break.

IMO if there is a mod system (akin to the mod folder) then we'll be able to do something, at least at a level/code editing basis. If not then it will be severely limited.

The bigger issue will be whether there is someone around who can crack the model format and give us max exporters - assuming DICE dont. That I'm less convinced of.

They made it themselves, which to me sounds like our chances are not great. Actually, technically this is Frostbite 2 (Frostbite was console-only). I'm sure whoever buys BF:BC2 first out of the people on this forum will dive straight into the main folder and look for a "mods" folder, that will be our definitive answer.

EDIT: Well, I'm sure the model format could be cracked, if we can get at the models first. Cracking a compressed format is much harder than an uncompressed format (models are virtually never compressed so that's nice and safe). I'm sure they'd have the models stored with positions in either 16 bit, 24 bit or 32 bit blocks, X/Y/Z. The lowest number in those blocks will most likely be the BIG changes, so you open up a really small object which isn't likely to use whichever bytes represent the largest positions, and look for how spaced out the blocks are. If it's spaced out in blocks of 3, then it's 24 bit, 4 and it's 32 bit. At the very least we could get a series of positions, but it's likely there'd be a 16 or 24 bit (MAYBE 8 bit) representation of the texture co-ordinates, maybe an 8 bit (OR 16 bit) thing to select the channel.

Cracking their zip-like format will be hard, because if they encrypt it... Then we'd have to bring in the hackers (and I mean REAL hackers, not people who download an aimbot and boast to their friends about it) to thoroughly look over the dlls and exes to see if there are any clues... We wouldn't even know which compression algorithms they'd use! I do agree with you that they CAN be relatively simple to break, but it really is trial-and-error, and it's a lot harder than sounds, bitmaps, and model formats.

If they don't end up using .zip or .rar (which is a bit of a stretch because decompressing that is CPU-intensive), then it's safe to assume they don't want people making mods at any point. Using an existing format certainly wouldn't be any harder for them, and it would save a lot of time for modders, so using another format would be a big neon "KEEP OUT!".

In reply to UberWazuSoldier:

Yes, Frostbite 2 does have a mod folder. After looking through the BF1943 code, you can discern the file and path structure. However, I'm sure that their current editor would expose too much source code to be freely released as a public editor. I hold out hope for BF3, but I'll still be modding BFC2 with my own tools for enjoyment.

Well, BF1943 is using Frostbite rather than Frostbite 2, but I guess they'd be pretty similar engines with similar formats.

EDIT: If you want to see FrostEd, here's a link. I'm sure they won't release it as is, but maybe down the track they can strip it down...? http://ati.amd.com/developer/gdc/2007/Ande..._Session%29.pdf

EDIT2: It's definitely worded like they're selling it to game developers, so I think that's why they wouldn't make a FrostEd for public?

Well, BF1943 is using Frostbite rather than Frostbite 2, but I guess they'd be pretty similar engines with similar formats.

EDIT: If you want to see FrostEd, here's a link. I'm sure they won't release it as is, but maybe down the track they can strip it down...? http://ati.amd.com/developer/gdc/2007/Ande..._Session%29.pdf

EDIT2: It's definitely worded like they're selling it to game developers, so I think that's why they wouldn't make a FrostEd for public?

No, thats a case for giving away the editor, but no source code. You can create assets, but are limited to the scope of the compiled engine. This would be a positive sign.

As mach said, many companies would see third party use of their editor as a good reason to release the editor, limited to changing models, textures, maps but not significantly altering the gameplay dynamic - this was cryteks approach. Especially if they see it as the first in a line of frostbite engines.

Mach10 - How much of the file structure can you see? Obviously if there's a mod folder that's great news, just wonder how lazy they've been in reusing the methodologies from the previous BF titles.

Perhaps DICE will contact a few of the mod teams directly and see how we get on with the editor rather than a general release to start with. I know in BFPirates we had a fairly decent relationship with DICE (more so than our size probably deserved) and still do to an extent. No doubt the PR and FH teams do to. I can hope hey ;)

Edited by PiratePlunder

I take that back... not seeing a mod folder *yet* (its alot of code). I can say for sure atm:

THey still use PNG files for the map screens, they used Adobe Image Ready(?!) as per the file. I'll comment more as I read it. A few people to bounce some stuff off would be nice.

Edit*

Note, the game in this platform is pre-bakes into a single file.

Still reading their fonts skins, textures atm

Updated*

File format: .fbrb

Examples:

ondemand_sounds-00.fbrb

build_overlay-00.fbrb

logomusic-00.fbrb

streaming_sounds-00.fbrb

ondemand_awards-00.fbrb

startup-00.fbrb

expack-00.fbrb

jap_shingunto_knife-00.fbrb

jap_type97_gren-00.fbrb

m1911a1-00.fbrb

m1garand-00.fbrb

us_longknife_knife-00.fbrb

levels-common-00.fbrb

terrain-00.fbrb

multiplayer-00.fbrb

Folders:

hud

levels

menu

weapon

coral_sea

guadal_cana

iwo_jima_s

wake_island_s

wake_island_tutorial

Lanugage Packs:

de-00.fbrb

en-00.fbrb

es-00.fbrb

fr-00.fbrb

it-00.fbrb

I can confirm certain structures:

wake_island_s

->multiplayer-00.fbrb

->de-00.fbrb

->en-00.fbrb

->es-00.fbrb

->fr-00.fbrb

->it-00.fbrb

->jp-00.fbrb

->reduced-level-00.fbrb

->terrain-00.fbrb

->HUD

-->main

-->shared

hud_multiplayer-00.fbrb

hud_multiplayer_cq-00.fbrb

hud_singleplayer-00.fbrb

mainmenu-00.fbrb

fonts_de-00.fbrb

fonts_es-00.fbrb

fonts_fr-00.fbrb

fonts_it-00.fbrb

fonts_jp-00.fbrb

fonts_us-00.fbrb

Other:

AchievementInfo ID="3" ImagePath="a03.png"

Think is describes an end of round event that displays winner/loser with a post-card style image in it:

name field EB419652-7336-4E29B71E-AAD3E38005CD

guid All D0687BF6-31C0-4989-8CC4-6792070C808E

Fonts/DFP_sougeitai_W5.ttf.Fonts/jp/headline_small

Name PointSize SourceFile

Style TextDatabase

UI UIFontAsset

UIFontStyle_Regular array

exportMode headline_small

Edited by Mach10

Hmm, actually after poking around in the BF2 shaders I'm starting to think that editor's really only for employees of DICE.

// Oscar: Keep off...change in the editor instead!!!!

Whatcha mean, Oscar? What editor?

Also, in the files the editor saves, especially for maps, the line spacing (around If and EndIf particularly) is different to DICE maps. To me that means they rewrote the editor after the game was done, probably because it contained parts of the engine they didn't want to accidentally include and be sued for it or something. I'm guessing they considered the shader stuff too hard, or maybe too sensitive.

I don't think we'll ever get to double-click on FrostEd.exe :(

EDIT: I should've gotten BF1943 on PC rather than PS3, maybe if they'd released it in the same YEAR I would have. Could've been a nice chance to look at some file formats in there. I think they should have used mspaint.exe for the pngs.

• 2 weeks later...

I was doing a little snouting about and managed to find these screenshots of the various iterations of FrostEd and FrostEd 2 from various talks and slideshows presented by Johan Anderrson, rendering architect at DICE.

FrostEd_1.png

FrostEd_2.png

Theres also an interview with Gordon Van Dyke, Producer at DICE, on BashandSlash.com regarding BFBC2 and BF3 which runs for 45 mins. The relevant section on modding kicks in at 18:40, and essentially he says that the tools are very complex, much more than BF2, and if they were to release any it certainly wouldn't be on release, though I got the feeling that tools for BF3 are more of a reality. He also made it clear that he expects the community to crack, hack, and break open the coding for modding purposes.

Here's the link.

http://bashandslash.com/index.php?option=c...3&Itemid=69

Bo.