Official BF Editor Forums

Floating City, Is It Possible?

gamer.supreme.1

Hey! :)

As the title says, is it possible to create a city on just the ocean, dead center, without terrain? The idea came from this SG fanart. If its possible, i would like to do something like this (base bf2 files only though).

diston1021600x1200.jpg

Edited by gamer.supreme.1

Possible, easy.

Would be an awesome idea, but I'd suggest you made some custom statics first if you want it to look like above pictures.

Msch, all roads/bridges there have collision, but for the optimal look, you could perhaps use some runway from roads/staticsnoblend/ (e.g. concreteblock_generic). However, the texture doesnt show unless placed on terrain (I think). But using them with a sharp edged terrain, like CB suggests, would be a good base for the island. Then just use a ground texture with the same color as the roads.

Can't wait to see your floating city :)

Yeah, it's possble and easy like he said.

I have a few thoughts on how to get you started if you want to try them. You could use the dock_straight statics for the edges of the city, they look fairly close, there under staticobjects/industry/docks... and you should definitly use terrain for the city floors and just use a concrete texture or something that looks like the floor of a floating city.

The floating city would be pretty cool but it obviously wont look anything like the futuristic flying city in stargate atlantis if you're using the default static objects from bf2. Maybe if you made the map in 2142 it would look closer =P.

Edited by TacoTacoTaco

you could also use the terrain to shape the floating city...

just make a heightmap with the shape of the city in photoshop...

i'll make an example and post it...

Cool, that was going to be my next question. Lastnight it came to me that i might be able to create custom HM's with PS, but i have no idea how. It also may be easier than handpainting or using a 3rd party app like L3DT and such. I might be able to have the control i want when it comes creating terrain. Again thanks and i'll be looking forward to your example :) .

Yeah, it's possble and easy like he said.

I have a few thoughts on how to get you started if you want to try them. You could use the dock_straight statics for the edges of the city, they look fairly close, there under staticobjects/industry/docks... and you should definitly use terrain for the city floors and just use a concrete texture or something that looks like the floor of a floating city.

The floating city would be pretty cool but it obviously wont look anything like the futuristic flying city in stargate atlantis if you're using the default static objects from bf2. Maybe if you made the map in 2142 it would look closer =P.

lol, yeah, i don't have the modeling knowledge yet to make an exact map of the pic above, but it would be sick if i knew what i was doing in that aspect. Another thing, i don't have the "Docks" in my resources, how do i get them there? I'm pretty sure they're archived in some zip, but not sure which one(s).

Thanks guys for your input. You just gave me hope for my next map. Another question though.... Do i have to create a whole new mod to play my SP maps or can i just create a map and play it?

*edit*

I found the dock pieces. They were close to where you said they were, staticobjects\industry\uniqueobjects\docks. Thanks again.

Yeah I forgot about the uniqueobjects folder... In case you don't know about this, you should make sure you have all the options checked under Mod/Mod manager/Editor Content so that you're not missing anything.

You don't need to create a new mod to make a map with SP gamemode, In fact you can even add customized static objects and vehicles to your maps and still run them in regular battlefield 2. If you plan on adding the statics/vehicles to the map you have to know how to set it up though, so that they're in the maps folder correctly. You can figure out how to do that in some other thread I'm sure.

Edited by TacoTacoTaco

Heightmaps are greyscale images (in photoshop.. image/mode/greyscale), black being the lowest part, white being the highest point, so you would want a grey terrain shape, with the rest solid black. You would have to play with the shade of grey to get the desired height, or play with the terrain hight setting in the editor. Save your heightmap 1 pixel bigger than the map size, example.. 1025 for a 1024 map, with these settings... .RAW, header 0, IBM PC.

Heightmaps are greyscale images (in photoshop.. image/mode/greyscale), black being the lowest part, white being the highest point, so you would want a grey terrain shape, with the rest solid black. You would have to play with the shade of grey to get the desired height, or play with the terrain hight setting in the editor. Save your heightmap 1 pixel bigger than the map size, example.. 1025 for a 1024 map, with these settings... .RAW, header 0, IBM PC.

Ok, i created a PS HM (sort of) with something close to what i want if i have to use terrain, but as i get to the saving part, none of the options are anything like the tuts and what you expressed above. I assume this is because i started the raw file in PS. I havent tried to add it to a map yet, but will do that very soon. Would it be prudent to load up the existing HMP file from the maps folder into PS and work with that file or should i replace the existing with a new PS HM made from scratch?

Heres what i have so far. This is supposed to be the platform that i want to build off of.

pshmtest2.jpg

This is what i got as far as options go in PS when saving the raw file.

rawoptions.jpg

*EDIT*

Ok, so i experimented a little bit with the default "HeightmapPrimary.raw" file in my maps folder. After opening it in PS, using a square marquee tool to create the base of the "floating city" i threw a little texture onto it for substance.

baseh.jpg

So far so good. Now i'll experiment with object pieces like walls and such to cover up the stretched, horrible looking textures on the sides that are in the water. You guys just helped me out soooo much. I wish there was a rep system here. ;)

I'll keep updating this post with my results and experiments. The insight here is unmatched. :D

*EDIT*

Ok so things are going alright, but i have a few questions about this project. I'm adding walls to the sides of the map which has proven to be time consuming and annoying. Is there an easier way to group all the walls i want to use and have them automatically join, like the carrier or do i have to line them suckers up myself one at a time? Also, i have some of these wall pieces overlapping each other to fit, will that cause a problem, especially with collision (Object Collision)? There were no errors posted in the editor, so i take that is a good sign?

walls.jpg

Looks cool..

CB, regarding that, I've found that altering the position by one at the third decimal (or something), will remove the flickering and the adjusment won't be visible ingame either.

Usually it's easier to overlap the walls a little instead of aligning them perfectly with each other.

For those who doesnt know, double clicking an object will bring up the positioning dialogue.

Would probably look better in game if you aligned the walls properly with no overlap then use the platform tool in the terrain editor to bring the terrain up to the right height.

Aligning walls is very easy, no need for them to be overlapping.

Stamp & align works fine if used with Shift & arrow keys.

Also if a corner doesn't have the marker on the right side to align, rotate the corner until it does, then stamp align. Then rotate back to it's original position.

Edited by [EoD]Junglist