Official BF Editor Forums

First Model

Spatchman

I made a wind turbine. Just a useless background object that eats up resources but I did it all with the help of this forum. Learnt how to UVW map to a degree too. It's a lot more time cosuming than I had imagined. The sails are a seperate object which I attached in the editor, then I found the code to make it rotate on another model. I think The biggest problem was making an object which fitted the whole 2142 universe. I loosely based little it around other objects from 2142 to get that same near future look. I think that's where it's easier to model something from the past or present day because you have have somethng solid and real to base your model. Coming up with ideas for the future... if I could do that then I'd be an archetect and earning more than I am now. ;).

Modern_Turbine_01_05.jpg

Modern_Turbine_01_04.jpg

Modern_Turbine_01_02.jpg

Hope someone likes it.

Looks nice! But detailing props base a bit more would be nice. You can use plane's rotor as reference:

Aero-Prop-Spinner.jpg

Propeller spinner must be more sharp - your one has bad aerodynamics... Making the generator part - rotor's base - rotateable so it will be able to change yaw would be good too.

Can you post more hi-res pics? Have you used the tower from Suez? :huh:

Thanks for the input. Well, I used the beacon tower as a reference to get a feel for the size and everything, it was a similar tallish object and I liked the colouring of it but every single part I made afresh. The turbine tower is just a cylinder tapered from the middle to the top, the legs I kind of copied but only in the sense on tracing round the outside and making my own 3d object from it. I didn't and wouldn't cut any part off another object and glue it onto my own. That would have defeated the point because I'm trying to learn how to make my own models so literally cutting and pasting won't do. I'd done several other models and they looked like a 1950's hairdryer on a stick. So I kept persevering and this was the closest one I made that came close to fitting the 2142 environment. I like the idea of making the naselle turn, could that be done so it changes direction randomly so it doesn't just continually turn? The sails I agree with you look a bit like paddles or oars. The centre cone could do with changing too. Looking at a few pictures of real wind turbines, they are actually pretty featureless sort of things, I added the legs at the bottom to make it look more interesting. I think I have messed up though because of the per pixel material thing on the detail layer. May have to start again anyway!

That's the MK1. lol.

Wind_Turbine_02_04.jpg

Just to compare the turbine and the beacon tower.

Modern_Turbine_01_06.jpg

Modern_Turbine_01_07.jpg

I was trying to get it similar to an original model.

Edited by Spatchman

Bit odd maybe? Well I was playing FH2 and was so impressed with how atmospheric it is. You can hear the wind blowing in the trees, the water from the stream flowing. It feels very natural and I liked the moving objects like the windmill and the watermill. Just adds a feeling that there's real stuff going on in the background. Was thinking about the idea of 2142 and how resources are scarce. There are still oil reserves but the ones in alaska would be frozen over and the easiest to extract are places like highway tampa which is a warzone. It looks like they have working fusion reactors if the titan core is anything to go by. Fusion reactors are expensive so I'm guessing that to supplement power reserves, natural resources like windfarms would be used as they are on the increase today. That's the long excuse, short one is I wanted to make a moving object. ;)

Edited by Spatchman

It looks very nice - very well done for a 'first' in BF modelling !

The next challenge should probably be applying a dirt layer to the model and see to the collisionmeshes of the Rotor (which can be tricky if you want to rotate them , too )

I agree that moving objects add wonderfully to the athmosphere of a map - one of my first objects for BF2 was a wind-driven waterpump for desert villages.

That brings me to the other question. In BF we only have the RotationalBundles so its not easy to give the rotor an oscillating movement. Maybe it can be done by stacking a few RB's on top of each other - but you'd probably need paper and pencil to figure out an arrangement .

Hmm, you probably don't want a 'random' rotation but a smooth oscillating generator , moving slowly from side to side a lil' bit.

As this is a sine movement it might be possible by RotationalBundles stacked on top of each other - but atm i refuse to think about it , lol :D

If you ever played Galactic Conquest for BF1942 , they had an AT6 ( walker from Star Wars) which walked on stacked RotationalBundles.

Thanks for the extra replies, sorry I hadn't seen them. I think I get what you mean about stacking rotationalbundles. Not sure how to calculate them. Another thought, probably a daydream, is there any way of locking on to wind direction? You can get the wind direction to vary in the editor. I guess the flags do wave about in the wind but don't change direction. Need to make a working windsock. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Heya,thanks for the kind words and help this forum has provided. I forgot i posted this here so here's an updated picture.

screen335.jpg

screen438.jpg

I've been very busy with work and fixing the house and got sidetracked doing lots of other models but it works in game, the detail texture is scaled correctly and now the nassele turns on it's axis as suggested earlier in the post. Still got to do the sails which I will do again from scratch and work out some of the more interesting code including adding a bit of sound but looking forward to getting this finished.

Edited by Spatchman