Official BF Editor Forums

Remaking A Vanilla Map, Only Keeping Textures?

gamer.supreme.1

Hey again guys.

Ok, so i'm remaking a vanilla map (Dragon_Valley_2012). After extracting the heighmapprimary from the vanilla map and placing it in my 1024*4 map folder, everything is cool. Now i'm looking to use the vanilla terrain colors and textures. How do i go about doing that? Is it a simple copy & paste of some kinds of folders/files? I used search and found things that were similar, but not exactly what i'm looking for. A little insight would help me alot.

*Edit*

I'm an idiot for the record... I somehow erased the Vanilla DV folder and the backup i made of it... A total Peter moment. Any links to download the folder or do i have to reinstall? Google produced little to nothing.

Pre-Thanks

Edited by gamer.supreme.1

Hey, I'm at work at the moment so can't help.

Looks like you've got a few projects on the go!

The best advice I can give is to start off with a small 512 x 2 map and see it though to completion following all the wonderful tuts on this site.

This will give you a good understanding of the structure of a map and will answer a lot of your questions as you go.

Don't try to run before you can walk.

Jung.

Hey, I'm at work at the moment so can't help.

Looks like you've got a few projects on the go!

The best advice I can give is to start off with a small 512 x 2 map and see it though to completion following all the wonderful tuts on this site.

This will give you a good understanding of the structure of a map and will answer a lot of your questions as you go.

Don't try to run before you can walk.

Jung.

So far i have a good grasp of the basics. Repetition is key. So now i have the basic knowledge of how to create my own original map, i want to move on to something a little more challenging (as far as adding CP's and so on go). Plus my son (12) is pestering me to do it. We both share DV as our fav maps and he want to help me tweak it some for more fun. I'm up for that challenge, i'm just not down to paint the whole thing by hand or use tpaint for this one. I will do either if there is no way to use vanilla colors/textures. As usual Jung, your advice is solid. Thanks for the input.

See my reply in the other thread you bumped about this:

http://bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=12648

Thanks for the links. I'm a bit confused by it though. In order for me to use DV's color/texturemaps coords. only, i would have to copy the (v)DV object(say 64)....con file also? I don't want anything but the original terrain color and texturing. All objects, cp points, undergrowth/over will be different. Good tut nonetheless. To me it leans more torwards if i wanted to copy the whole entire vmap and rename it.

If you need a copy of DValley to replace the deleted one you had.... let me know... i can upload it to filefront...?

I would be more than greatful if you did that. :D

http://www.filefront.com/15152403/Dragon_Valley.rar/

and here is a version of Dragon Valley that has the textures working... you can open it in the editor and add or delete spawnpoints etc...

and you can check out the files themselves... I just use bftpaint and the original colormaps textures and open the terrain.raw with wordpad to see the terrain textures and use them in the terrain layers in the editor...

in the stock map...

http://www.filefront.com/15152519/Dragon_Valley_EDIT.rar/

you're welcome.... lol

Hahahaha, i didnt forget about you CB & MSCH, i got caught up in Pre-Christmas bs. Thank you so much with the replacement and all the info. Everything is coming out alright. Now i'm working on AI. My son appreciates it a lot also. He's happy as a pig in shit to be able to edit video games, things his friends can't do. :) This AI is a trip to mess with. There are a few issues, but nothing i can't read up on. Again, thank you guys. I'm sure we will meet again. :D