Official BF Editor Forums
BEEX

Rules Of Modding

There's some basic rules to modding in most mod communities,some are unwritten laws others are clearly stated in the eula (end user license agreement) and other laws are to do with I.P (intellectual property).

1.cross porting battlefield content is highly illegal,for example using bf1942 content in a bf2 mod is illegal,using bf2 content in a bf1942 mod is illegal,if DICE catches wind of it they will immedietly shut you down at request,if you cease to continue be prepared for a legal ass whooping.

2.importing battlefield models into a 3d program and modifying them for redistribution in a mod is illegal,this isnt such a biggy because generally people only make minor changes and dont declare themselves as the creator of that model...if you declare yourself as the creator beware!...lol

3.ask permission to use another mods content,for personal use it isnt so important,but for redistribution you will most certainly need permission.

4.ask permission to use another mods content as placeholders...nothing worse than seeing people get credit for anothers hard work.

5.making mods based on movies,tv shows,cartoons,comics and books is an area you need to tread very carefully due to ownership of intellectual property,you will need to ask the owner of that I.P for permission,often they will not allow so be prepared for bad news...over the years ive seen many mod projects get shut down due to mod devs not asking permission for use of I.P...years of work down the drain.

6.making mods based on other games is extremely illegal,you can ask permission but i dought you will get it,its about the content and story of the I.P but its mainly about impeeding on the i.p owners ability to make money...imagine spending 120 million dollars making a game then a mod comes along and steals your audience...that would suck!.

7.learn all your brain can handle.

8.team up...there's too many mods doing the same thing and getting nowhere.

9.remember we all have different skill levels.

10.respect people who are trying to help you...even if you dont like the truth..game engines have limitations.

11.use "your" imagaination...MAKE SOMETHING ORIGINAL.

NOTE:i had to post this cuz i get tired of telling peeps what you can and cant do,i dont want to see people waste time making a mod that will be shut down and i really hate seeing people pass off content as their own,believe me it makes you really really angry when you see some one use your content inapropriately and they take credit for it,then you get flammed and made to look like the bad guy because theyve done the wrong thing...its just not on!.

Edited by BEEX

Great job Beex.. this has been missed for a long time!