Official BF Editor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
desolatordan

Way too shiny...

Smig]So, white parts of the details are transparent ?

Does it require any specific naming for the material: _Alpha, _AlphaTest ?

Correct, the detail and dirt layers are both in a sort of "Multiply" blend mode, so all they do is blend in with the colormap to give it detail.

What about the naming ?

Is it necessary ?

Some similar problem:

I have a GUn of a WW2 plane with a model _C.dds and a model_B.dds (normals)

Which texture need to make an alpha(white channel) to make it shinny? C or B? And what if i need my model to have both trasnparent and shinny parts? Do i need to make 2 alphas? or just 1?

DFast has a really good explanation of bundledMesh techniques somewhere. Anyone got a link? I don't have it here sorry. It appears someone posted most of it on the wiki but sadly it's lacking the good/needed information.

The trick comes down to if you're using an alpha technique or not. I forget the details though so I'm not going to guess. I will say this: The alpha channel of one of your textures will control the specularity. There's only two so get to trying.

Okay fine I'll guess. I _think_ if you're using an alpha technique (for transparency) the alpha for transparency goes in the _c's alpha and specular in _b's alpha. If no alpha technique/transparency then the specular alpha goes in the _c. It's either that or the opposite of that, lol.

Cheers,

-phresh

As your plane is using a BF2BundledMesh material, naming the material is the key to success.

Giving it a name like 'Hull_Material||ColormapGloss' would use the alpha channel of the Colormap for Glossiness. The exporter uses the Value after the '||' to assign the shader technique.

(Careful: no syntax check is provided , only use valid techniques here)

A transparent material would be named something like 'Alpha_cockpit_glass||AlphaEnvmap' . This shader provides floating alpha , enabling you to make 'dirty' cockpit glass. Here the transparency is controlled through the alpha channel of your main (Color-) Map , the glossiness for this transparent part is 'outsourced' to the alpha channel of the normal/bump map. Take care to have the word 'Alpha_' also in the first part of the material name.

Using an 'Alpha_Test' shader results in 1-bit alpha (fully transparent or fully opaque) . If you're interested, i post a full list of allowed shading techniques from my modding machine...

' date='Nov 8 2006, 12:52 AM' post='55014']

As your plane is using a BF2BundledMesh material, naming the material is the key to success.

Giving it a name like 'Hull_Material||ColormapGloss' would use the alpha channel of the Colormap for Glossiness. The exporter uses the Value after the '||' to assign the shader technique.

(Careful: no syntax check is provided , only use valid techniques here)

A transparent material would be named something like 'Alpha_cockpit_glass||AlphaEnvmap' . This shader provides floating alpha , enabling you to make 'dirty' cockpit glass. Here the transparency is controlled through the alpha channel of your main (Color-) Map , the glossiness for this transparent part is 'outsourced' to the alpha channel of the normal/bump map. Take care to have the word 'Alpha_' also in the first part of the material name.

Using an 'Alpha_Test' shader results in 1-bit alpha (fully transparent or fully opaque) . If you're interested, i post a full list of allowed shading techniques from my modding machine...

mschoeldgen, I have been scouring these forums for a reliable list or some sort of indicator for these naming conventions that you are speaking of, yes, a full list of allowed shading techniques would be oh-so appreciated.

By the way, where did you come up with your list? I have looked all over, and

this is what I found: http://bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?showt...185&start=0

perhaps, this is all I need..? though the thread is ancient and there seemed to be problems with the list that D_Fast had...

Note that the old thread's problems are solved. Rexman has integrated the functionality into the 3DS Exporter with the '||' mark in the material name.

For skinnedMeshes, you'll find a list somewhere in the BF2 scripts for 3DS. As soon as i'm on the modding machine i'll add it.

Shader Techniques for BundledMeshes.

------------------------------

Those can be changed with Rexman's material tool for BF2 meshes

Technique: AnimatedUVColormapGloss
Type: 0

Technique: CockpitNoHemiLight
Type: 1

Technique: EnvMapColormapGloss

Technique: AnimatedUVAlpha_TestColormapGloss
Type: 2

Technique: Cockpit

Technique: AlphaEnvMap

Technique: ColormapGloss

Technique: AlphaNoHemiLight

Technique: Alpha_TestEnvMapColormapGloss
 Type: 2

Technique: Alpha

Btw, this is older info. In case you find mistakes or new techniques , pls add them

Edited by mschoeldgen[Xww2]