Official BF Editor Forums

Random Early Wip

Catbox

Looks very awesome CB!

and thats without any beers.. lol

This is a great example of GeoControls powerful functions.. CB have you seen JONES' Eastern Showdown?

Looks very awesome CB!

and thats without any beers.. lol

This is a great example of GeoControls powerful functions.. CB have you seen JONES' Eastern Showdown?

I haven't seen his Eastern Showdown but i'm sure it's great... He makes really detailed maps...

i will do a google search for it...

nice work cb,looks almost like real mountains,and good choice of sky texture it matches the terrain well.

geocontrol 2 is frigin awesome,definetly the best terrain creation tool on the market,its well worth forking out $260 for it.

only real problem with it isnt geocontrol related its the fact you really need to use 4 scale maps to make mountains look good in bf2,giant black sqaures on the terrain mean nothing when you can create maps that are so realistic.

quote msch...But do you really think 'Random_Early_WIP' is a good mapname ? Hehehe , j/k...end quote....roflmao...nice 1!.

almost forgot...do we have a tutorial in here about exporting detail maps from geocontrol?

Edited by BEEX

Well yea just use solid colours for the detailmaps (255 red, 255 green and 255 blue) and export it as same as a colourmap, then you can split it with t-paint, just name it detailbig.tga instead of colourbig.tga and apply textures in the editor just as you would after useing t-paint.

Edited by Bensta

Lmao @ "Random_Early_WIP".. :lol:

anyway, keep us up to date on the detailmap things.. would be cool if everything could be done..

and just for you CB, Eastern Showdown WIP thread @ BFSP: http://www.battlefieldsingleplayer.com/for...showtopic=13952

BF 8 might be out when this map is finished...

ah but your map will have less bugs :P and hopefully your map will have singleplayer support too, let me know if you want a hand with that part.

BTW on Jones's map the navmesh generator went overboard trying to mimic every little detail that GC2 put into the terrain. i'd assume yours might have the same issue seeing as your terrain was done with the same app. it's just something to be aware of; SP for GC/GC2 maps isn't as quite set-and-forget as its hand-created counterparts are. but it looks bloody lovely so far CB, i hope there's going to be pads for a heli or two in there?

most of the detail is the colormaps...

i added some gaussian blur to the heightmap to make it smoother in pshop...

that would be really cool if you added sp to the map...

i will check the terrain out in grid mode and see how it looks...

yeah... it's a little too detailed and jaggedy... will experiment with some blur to smooth it out

2grid.png

1grid.png

i wonder if the terrain can be detailed... and the navmesh less detailed?

using a smoother heightmap for AI and the original heightmap for detail?

Is that a x1 map? terrain looks more detailed than normal, if so cool ;)

I like the mountains alot, gunna be a awesome map when complete.

Only suggestion i can think of is the blending between the grass and light dirt colour. You see bottom left on your minimap, you have small area of darker brown dirt, blending between the grass and light dirt... if it was like that all around i think it would look more natural.

i wonder if the terrain can be detailed... and the navmesh less detailed?

well ironically they normally are - so much less so that bots commonly die from the nav-gen's shitty contour-following, heh

with jones's map i was thinking of running a smooth tool lightly over the areas that aren't needed or are too steep so (hopefully) we can get the best balance between speedy generation and fine enough detail in the navmesh.

it's worth experimenting to find the best way, because i imagine plenty more maps will be made with GC2 and nobody wants to wait over 2 weeks for a mesh to finish, just to have to nerf it because the poly count is too high (the preopt object for ES was 1.2 million polys)

the map is a 1024x2 Ben...

and the minimap is just the geo colormap chopped up...( i may import the heightmap back into geocontrol and try different colormap combos?)

I haven't painted any thing on the map in the editor yet...

going to add roads and trails and will blend the colors by the base of the mountain...

It's going to be a slow process... lol no hurry