Official BF Editor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
UberWazuSoldier

Adding Regions Without Sound Forge

Well, this was inspired by the topic about Audacity. A lot of people have been forking out for Sound Forge because of Audacity's incompatibility with region markers/loop regions, so I've made a little tool which should provide that functionality. As a bonus, it should be more accurate to the firerate of weapons, and there's a little easy wizard-esque thing which should make that nice and easy.

Download the file here.

Instructions:

1. Edit the file as you normally would with Audacity.

2. Run the program, and follow the instructions in the program.

3. Done!

Hopefully this will help out a few people.

(Updated: 14 January 2010)

Edited by UberWazuSoldier

Thanks for that , UWS !

A few notes, though.

* There's no way to cancel the process once you have fired up the program and loaded a sound.

* While in Audacity ( or your other sound editor ) note down the start and stop time of your desired region. UWS' program needs this information to add the loop markers.

* When does the software save the sound ? I only can add the two markers and then i see a graphical representation of the WAV with the two lines as markers. Is it saved already ?

Ahh yeah, I should have made it a bit more clear about those things.

Yeah, forgot to make a cancel button (a pretty big oversight, but apparently one I'm capable of). If you're REALLY desperate, task manager comes in handy.

And in response to the last question, it saves immediately before the graphical representation (after the final dialogue box). I was going to have it back the file up, but considering the file will still load even if you repeatedly added the region markers (which would make mincemeat out of the end of the file), I decided to have it silently save. Perhaps a little "file saved!" confirmation is in order?

EDIT: Looks like I goofed up on the little display at the end, it shows the markers at between 2 and 8 times too close to the start.

EDIT2: Okay, it's fixed and updated (added a cool green display alongside for added funkiness).

EDIT3: Ooops, looks like I goofed up the header for mono sounds (1p). It won't break your file, but it will stop the loop marker showing on Sound Forge (haven't tested it in-game, might work there actually).

EDIT4: Ahh... Ahh.... Hmm. Progress! I worked out what that stuff at the top is... Bah, moooo!

EDIT5: Fixed.

Edited by UberWazuSoldier

Thanks for making this program! It'll surely prove useful.

This thing made in game maker? I haven't used that program for years, lol.

I modified a sound file, which already had a loop marker. I get a memory error, says memory block does not seem sane. I pressed yes to weapon and entered 450.

Edited by Kev4000

Bah, if it can be fixed with Audacity there's no need :P (maybe only to explain how to do it ).

As all of this stuff is free the users can do a little something on their own , hehehe

Hmm, as a conceptual continuation... What if I made something to actually generate a gun sound. I'll look at the waveforms of some gun sounds...

Aww it sounds like a bell. Actually, it sounds like a really good bell.

Link

Works fine with me. Glad the sound tool download link was in my final showcase "other tools" section. :D

EDIT

Although it is uploaded by schoeldgen, a "add sound regions" executable is in there. Not sure if it is the same as Uberwazu's. :unsure:

Edited by bergerkiller

Link

Works fine with me. Glad the sound tool download link was in my final showcase "other tools" section. :D

EDIT

Although it is uploaded by schoeldgen, a "add sound regions" executable is in there. Not sure if it is the same as Uberwazu's. :unsure:

Thanks for the link!

Solved my problem, now i can generate bf2 weaponsounds great :D

Edited by JONES

Yep it is haha, I need to remake it, but at the same time... if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I made it in Game Maker, so it's not exactly optimal for the task (which is why the .exe is like 2MB).