Official BF Editor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pheeph

Adding Water To Maps That Didn't Have Any

Is it possible to add water to maps that previously didn't have water? Someone gave me a suggestion on my map to add a few ponds (or possibly some lakes).

what i would do since you dont have the original editor files is to make the same size terrain..then copy files from the pre made map to your new map..idk why but its what i do then change some terrain and water level..envmap, lightmap and package and your good to go.

make a backup copy of the map you want to use... and put it on your desktop for safe keeping...

then in the levels folder of your mod... open up the map you want to add water to

and highlight the server.zip and client.zip and unzip them both at the same time...

then delete the server.zip and client.zip

then...

just open the map in the editor... and raise the water level as high as you want...

then save...

the water depth settings are in the water.con of all maps... you can change it manually with notepad

by changing the number to a higher number for deeper water... and save

Yes and no. The actual water can't, but you can model waterplanes - which are statics technically. The downside is that the fog underneath them doesn't work properly, and it's a lot of work. You can see it used to great effect on Fushe Pass

You need to model them using gmax, 3DSMax or Maya. its a simple plane with the usual collisionmeshes . The only special is that you have to apply the only existing watertexture to it ( objects/water/textures/watertemp.dds ) and give the collisionmeshes the 'water' material ( ID 1 if i remember correctly )

ok, I placed this 500x200 waterplane from the mod somewhere in the map and a bunch of 5x5 water planes in another area of the map. I compiled the lightmaps and envmaps, but I still can't see the 500x200 water plane. I walk to the supposed area where the water plane is, but there was no sign I was swimming. The 5x5 waterplanes work but are hardly visible and doesn't support lightmapping.

If these are custom waterplanes from the 'mod' you need to either lightmap the map in 3DSMax ( probably beyond what you can affort atm ) or obtain the lightmapsamples for the 'mod' from their mapping support department.

Make sure that the global water level in the tweak setting is at least a positive number, for example 1. If you leave it at the default "no water" of -10000, you will only see the waterplane object in the Editor, not ingame and no collision with the player mesh will occur.

You can use the standard waterplane objects from BF2 and lightmapping works for them. As mentioned by MS, if you use custom waterplane objects from the mod, you will need 3ds to lightmap those (or use the lightmap samples from the mod, if available).