Official BF Editor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alimcleif

Make Objects Penetrable?

I'm trying to make a map with lots of trees and bushes, as in a thick forrest.

However, I now realize that it will impossible to play such a map bacause of the material the "forrest objects" are made of. You can't shot through the bushes or the leaves on the trees <_< , something that means that you'll have to stay within a range of like 1 meter before you can actually shot anybody :(

Is there a way I can change the material of the "forrest objects" so that the bullets will actually go throug the plants?

That's whats called realism (well, sort of, as it is a game ;) ). As players/bots move trough the forrest, at one time or another they will be not covered by a tree or bush. So you can shoot them at this point.

But to your question: You could create custom tree/bush objects and asign them a penetrable material (Penetrable_Wood (1003) for example). I am not so sure how that will integrate with the rest of the objects/players on the map tough...

Sorry, I forgot to mention, I'm like not very good at these things :P So if you could please explain a little bit more detailed how to do what yo said I would be most grateful :D

Edited by alimcleif

Sorry short delay.

The easist way is propably to take an object from the existing vegetation, rename it to a new object name with the changed material, place it on the map with as an overgrowth and to include the object in the map itself (same as with the Euroforce objects, as long as you don't want to create a new mod).

Take a look at the nc_pinebig03 for example (can be found in \vegetation\asia\pine\). Extract the contents from the server and client archieves for this object and place them in your \mods\bf2\objects folder and don't forget the meshes. Rename the filenames associated with this object to a new filename, for example pine_test. Open the files (.con and .tweak) and match the names in those files with your new object filename.

Open the objects in the BF2 Editor in the Object Editor and play around with the materials until you find something that fits your requirements. The original materials are:

leaf_col -> Penetrable_bushes_Leaves

wood_col -> Tree_trunk

You can find those under the "Default" -> Map Material setting in the tweak bar.

The tweak file also indenties the materials used:

ObjectTemplate.mapMaterial 0 leafCol 1007

ObjectTemplate.mapMaterial 1 wood_col 93

Play around a bit with the settings. Remember to include the objects in the final map and put a run statement in either the init.con or the tmp.con.

Ok, I'll try with the me_pinebush02.

I've now extracted the server_objects.zip and the Client_server.zip from the mods\bf2 folder.

I copied all the files starting with me_pinebush02 from the vegetation\middle east\pinebush folder (from the extracted client and the extracted server folder)

I put the files into a map I called "objects" inside my map folder.

Have I done right so far?

Sorry for my bad understanding, but I didn't quite catch what do I do next? :unsure:

Edited by alimcleif

Hm, I would try it with a tree object. The bushes usually allow bullets to pass through.

The objects have to be placed into your mods folder first to work on them (\mods\bf2\objects\, or \mods\xpack\objects, or whatever mod you are working on). After you modified them with the Editor, put them in your map (take a look at one of the Euroforces map how it is done, you have to create an object folder; just copy the structure/file path from the original server/client archieves) and remove them from your mods\...\objects\ folder (make a backup of them first!).

Ok, I'll try that, thanks a lot :D

BTW, is it possible to make only the leaves of a tree penetrable and not the trunk?

Edit: If I make an entire tree penetrable, and I shot at it so that the bullet goes trough, will it still fall fragments from the place I hit the tree?

Edited by alimcleif

Yes, you can assign different materials for the tree trunk and the leaves.

The kind of collision, or what happens when a bullet interacts with an object collision mesh depends on the material you select. Browse a bit trough the material editor part and experiement with different combination until you find one that suits your needs.