Official BF Editor Forums
Mach10

Extracted The Fbrb Frostbite Files

They've got the custom RES header that we saw with the BIK Movie files.

"RES,ITexuture"

Valve's Garry's Mod and Irrlicht Engine use something call iTextures, these are "Interface of a Video Driver dependent Texture" - I ran a few fuile anyliser on the .res files in question but no pattern of known filetype yet .... :(

Yep, I saw an article about valve using ITextures but doubt its related at all. The ITexture bit appears (like BinkTexture for the bik files) to be just an internal DICE(?) descriptor which could stand for anything in those crazy sweedish minds.

The presence of that "RES,ITexture" here means that there will be some sort of header (for the bik files it was 72 chars) that needs to be removed before being able to (hopefully) convert to some known file type.

I wouldn't bet against a TGA file, it was used for bf2 for hud stuff after all.

The ITexture bit appears (like BinkTexture for the bik files) to be just an internal DICE(?) descriptor which could stand for anything in those crazy sweedish minds.

You are probably correct there, i was just trying different routes but the fact that its present in the BIK files means its a descriptor for their own in house stuff indeed.

/Off topic

It makes me mad that they wont make the Map editor public, judging by the Port Valdez Level file (\Levels\MP_012GR.dbx) it looks very very straight forward Farcry2 / Crysis type drag and drop editor :o

Edited by zeroy

I will have a look at those loading screen files. They have the same structure as the other textures, but there's some bits before the header. Again, I wonder if these are leftover bits of the fbrb archives.

@KNG: did you try opening .res files in /texture/ directories or other? There are many non-texture files with the .res extension. The app will give you a warning if its not a texture file. You must also have a DDS image viewer installed, or at least an application associated with the file extension. Or just try PiratePlunder's shiny new app.

Edited by Remdul

I will have a look at those loading screen files. They have the same structure as the other textures, but there's some bits before the header. Again, I wonder if these are leftover bits of the fbrb archives.

@KNG: did you try opening .res files in /texture/ directories or other? There are many non-texture files with the .res extension. The app will give you a warning if its not a texture file. You must also have a DDS image viewer installed, or at least an application associated with the file extension. Or just try PiratePlunder's shiny new app.

i tried both, your app and PiratePlunder's new ResView App.

Like he wrote, you can only view DDS Textures. I'm using Irfanview and the .DDS Plugin and it works fine on most of the textures. After extracting that one specific archive on-demand-awards-00.fbrb i tried to view the .res files with your App and now with the new one - both wont work on these files.

@ Remdul

try the new fbrb.bms script and try to unpack the on-demand-awards-00.fbrb which contains the "new" .res image files. Maybe you're able in some way to make them viewable.

thanks!

Yes here they are: http://www.buijs-leur.nl/bfstuff/bfbc2beta/

I think the old fbrb.bms script improperly outputted the files, I suspect that this 64 byte header belongs to every .res file, and acts as generic resource header.

Will upload an updated viewer+source later. @PiratePlunder, skip over the first 64 bytes, and the rest is the same.

Edited by Remdul

Yes here they are: http://www.buijs-leur.nl/bfstuff/bfbc2beta/

I think the old fbrb.bms script improperly outputted the files, I suspect that this 64 byte header belongs to every .res file, and acts as generic resource header.

impressive!

can you please upload your updated APP? So we can browse all other images too?

would be nice! thanks :D

Serialization refers to storing application in-memory structures to file. Virtually all software already does this in one way or another, but the thing he means is that they have it automated. Didn't some one say FB was written in C#? This language has it build-in afaik. "no file format" hints at the fbrb resource files (everything is packed together), which are probably the product of serialization. Of course the resource files themselves have a file structure, as well as the resource data so we can still read them. This is actually interesting, because it can reveal their memory structure layout (I'm sure cheaters will find this interesting).

Yep, one of the DICE presentations stated that the editor was written in C#. And yes C# does have a built in serialization of classes. Indeed having accidentally serialized a class the other day there is a resemblance to the dbx files. How you would go about deserializing an unknown object though is beyond me.

Just occurred to me that python has gzip and crc32 built in... Maybe we can write something a bit easier to use than the current method? Also, being able to go both ways would be nice.

I'll have a stab at it (but no promises)

Edited by UberWazuSoldier

Haha, maybe DICE is watching us and laughing.
I'll bet they are.. so it would be better if we talk nice about them..

"Ohh.. DICE, you make the best games, I love u!" hmm.. hope that helps..

the Frosted 2 editor seems to look not that hard, I think we could figure out how it works, though.

But I now the problem, If they give us the frostbite editor, they could stop making games ^^

ohh.. wait.. I don't think so, If they would just lock essential thing, theres wouldn't be any problem!

Edited by a-10freAK

I talked to a friend who was contracted to do art on another Frostbite powered DICE game, and he said it was nice to work with. So they have some sort of editor package they can send out, and I suspect it includes documentation. Sadly also a NDA.

I talked to a friend who was contracted to do art on another Frostbite powered DICE game, and he said it was nice to work with. So they have some sort of editor package they can send out, and I suspect it includes documentation. Sadly also a NDA.

Awesome! I hope we get the package!