Official BF Editor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mach10

Our Entry Point To Dbx Files

Yep, although I guess until the full version comes out and we can play in SP i doubt we can check if any changes are working or not. Of course we can check if you get a ban for modified content :lol: Once a txt -> dbx converter is ready that is.

Just a thought, maybe combine all the great work you guys are doing into one project? let me know if you need hosting space or an ftp if you do decide to go down that route

Just a thought, maybe combine all the great work you guys are doing into one project? let me know if you need hosting space or an ftp if you do decide to go down that route

I think we'd better wait until the release, who knows what file types there'll be in the end.

Anyway, I updated my dbxreader, I can't think of anything missing. You can click on it directly now. It took me just a few minutes to create .txts for all dbx files in the Bad Company folder.

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/21062703/...eader_final.rar

Here's a .dbx dictionary, might be helpful. That covers all things that were in the beta files (except for a2, but as you might guess that takes just 4 vars instead of 6 for a3).

instance/guid/partition a3:
var1
var2
var3
var4
var5
var6

complex a0

complex a1
name
var

array a
name
var

array 21
name
var

array 71
name
var
number of floats, nof = 00, 01, b012, 80ed01, e0c901, f08802 and more
length of float, lof = 4 

complex 71
name
var
nof = 2/4/10 (in hex)
lof = 4

field 71
name
var
nof = 2,4,8
lof = 2,4,8

field 21
name
var
var

field 61 BOOL
name
var
00/01 (false/true)

field 22 PATH
ref
var
name
var

item 21
ref
var

item 20
var

I've copied the controls files in my docs and gone xml now.

E.g. the air.dbx in my docs says:

<instance guid="C779461B-6614-465F-B64B-32597EFF9D2E" type="GameSharedResources.KeyboardInputActionData">
<field name="IsAnalog">true</field>
<field name="NegateValue">false</field>
<field name="Key">IDK_W</field>

Whereas the BFBC2AirInputConcepts.xml in \Dist\win32\async\Input says exactly the same (yay!).

http://www.filefront.com/16584259/dbxmlreader.rar

The only thing I'm still unsure about are vectors, I check if the total number of components fits into 4 and then assign "true" to the fourth component of each vector if the value is "cdcdcdcd" and "false" if the value is "00000000". That might be translation vs rotation or absolute vs relative, who knows. :)

Edited by Frankelstner

Does this make any sense? I mean, if we already know we can't mod it, why continue finding things out?

Oh I think it does. DICE didn't rule out future mod support for BC2, also BF3 will almost certainly use the Frostbite engine too. Getting used to the files will give us a headstart when BF3 is released. Apart from that, once we manage to pack up the files again we can mod the Singleplayer. Everybody loves messing about with values. :)

Not to mention that the files themselves can go along way to seeing what will be possible for modding bf3 (if dice do release tools). Thats not so important to the server side mods, mappers etc but for the larger full conversion mods it may be that they dont even want to mod bf3 if a lot of things are hardcoded.