Official BF Editor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
timbuck2

How Do You Change/create New Factions?

I have been working on a mod that has many new weapons, vehicles, and maps ETC... I can't use all the weapons at once with only 4 default factions, so I want to be able to create more factions, and then learn how to replace other factions on maps. Thanks Allot!

New playermodels can only be created with a profound knowledge of 3DSMax or Maya which is probably beyond your capabilities atm. What you can do is to reskin existing soldiers with a new texture . Its still complicated and needs some knowledge about model structure and how to handle the BF2Materials.EXE helper program . ( But there's a GUI for it around here , browse the Tutorials section)

You'd copy/clone an existing army and then change the soldier textures to your own ones . Its still not so easy and probably nothing for a rookie. As you can't publish the mod with all your 'borrowed' weapons i'd think twice if the effort is worth it.

New playermodels can only be created with a profound knowledge of 3DSMax or Maya which is probably beyond your capabilities atm. What you can do is to reskin existing soldiers with a new texture . Its still complicated and needs some knowledge about model structure and how to handle the BF2Materials.EXE helper program . ( But there's a GUI for it around here , browse the Tutorials section)

You'd copy/clone an existing army and then change the soldier textures to your own ones . Its still not so easy and probably nothing for a rookie. As you can't publish the mod with all your 'borrowed' weapons i'd think twice if the effort is worth it.

I don't really want to retexture anything, I am just trying to clone the U.S. and get SEALs, I have been replacing and cloning it in a few places, but it doesn't fully work.

Here's a list of the changes I've made...

I cloned the U.S. and changed the name to SEAL in the Sound, Win/Lose file.

I made a flag color and base flag...ETC (With the name SEAL, opposed to US)

I made a new folder in the "Kit" (Named SEAL)section and copy/pasted everything from the U.S. kits to there.

(I don't know what to change inside the kits to make the game not crash, besides the name on the top of the text)

And finally, I change the word "US" or "us" in the map I want to have the new faction to "seal" or "SEAL". (Besides the kit model section of the "Init.con" for each map)

Goal: Simply make a Clone US faction that has the name "SEAL" and then change around the kits which I know how to do.

IS there a tutorial somewhere on how to do this? I tried searching.

Thanks for the post!

In menu_server.zip/Atlas I think, open up the files in there and copy and paste anything that jumps out as being for usmc.

Everything in those files come out as gibberish (Nonsupported format). They are .dds files and I am using winrar, what can I open them with?

I miss the part where you hack your SEAL meshes to point to different textures. As the path to the texture is hardcoded into the mesh your SEALs will show the vanilla USMC texture until you change it.

Paint.Net can handle DDS to a certain degree but is helpless when editing the alpha channel. Perhaps you can live without that for the moment. Make sure to save the textures in a format which the game can handle. This is DDS DXT1 no alpha , 11 mipmaps for no-alpha'd textures and DXT5 , interpolated alpha ,11 mipmaps for textures with alpha. The number of mipmaps can be different but you should create at least 5 or 6.

I wonder how you got away with copying vehicles in your mod without tampering with the Atlas files. Look for 'dice_atlastexturetool.exe' in this forum to find how this is used to create new Atlasses.

Edited by mschoeldgen[Xww2]

I am making this mod out of regular BF2, I am just adding a few new factions so I can start making new weapons and such for realsim.

I am not retexturing anything right now, just cloning a faction and making the exact same thing, just with a different name. So all I have to do is copy, and rename files and folders, right?

And Wazu, I have tried both menuserver thingys and neither have what I think your talking about.

Thanks for the posts!

Okay, go to:

Menu_server.zip\Atlas\MemeAtlas.tai (you can ignore the .tac file if you want)

And add to the bottom:

Menu/HUD/Texture/Ingame/Flags/Icons/Minimap/SEALS/miniMap_CP.tga		Menu\Atlas\MemeAtlas_020.dds, 0, 0.73877, 0.958008, 0.0161133, 0.0161133
Menu/HUD/Texture/Ingame/Flags/Icons/Minimap/SEALS/miniMap_CPBase.tga		Menu\Atlas\MemeAtlas_020.dds, 0, 0.73877, 0.976074, 0.0161133, 0.0161133
Menu/HUD/Texture/Ingame/Flags/Icons/Hud/Score/SEALS/scoreBoard_Flag.tga		Menu\Atlas\MemeAtlas_020.dds, 0, 0.204102, 0.553711, 0.0112305, 0.00732422
Menu/HUD/Texture/Ingame/Flags/Icons/Minimap/SEALS/miniMap_Flag.dds		Menu\Atlas\MemeAtlas_020.dds, 0, 0.859375, 0.906738, 0.0078125, 0.0078125

(replace SEALS with the name of the team)

You could just put all those lines at the bottom of the file, and hopefully it will work. What the memeatlas does is set up virtual files using the memeatlas_010.dds and memeatlas_020.dds as the texture. You'll have spotted all those tga and dds files lying around - don't bother with those, BF2 doesn't read them (technically it DOES read the .dds files, but it's still messy)

I suggest running in the debug .exe (bf2_r) since it makes log files in the mod's folder which are pretty useful for seeing what files are missing. Good luck!

Edited by UberWazuSoldier

Okay, it didn't crash while loading the map that I put my new faction in, but no one can spawn and on the top left there are the words "Hud_text_SPAWN ARMY" in place of where the word SEALS should be. So what did I do wrong? (No kits are showing either except for the MEC which mysteriously don't have the weapons they should, but the ones they have in regular BF2)

I am close now, I have it so that my new army shows kits and all and the other team spawns with the right weapons, but my new army won't spawn and still has the name "Hud_Text_menu_SPAWN_NewArmy". Wha else is needed to change?

If the spawnmenu appears but no menumap and the tickets are still at zero you might have a problem with python starting up. If the mousepointer freezes on the spawnscreen you have a controls conflict between debugger and the 1.5 retail EXE.

You need to edit the init.con of the map to spawn your army ( provided everything else is ready and working )

Edited by mschoeldgen[Xww2]

Where in the localization files and what do I need to copy/paste? (Localization file is biiiiieeeg)

This is a list of everything I've changed in the init.con of the map:

(Seals is my new team)

GameLogic.setteamname 1 "Mec"

GameLogic.setteamname 2 "Seals"

Gamelogic.setteamFlag 0 "flag_neutral"

Gamelogic.setteamFlag 1 "Flag_mec"

Gamelogic.setteamFlag 2 "flag_SEALS

...... And then I replaced all the kit names that had the army I was replacing with "SEALS" or "seals"

Indeed. Forget about the localization files for the moment and make your player models and kits work first. Note that team names do work best if not longer than max. 4 letters. There's even some guys claiming that 3 letter names are even better. I'm not sure if this is correct but we're using 3-letter team names and everything does work as expected.

But more important is a system. If your Team is called 'SEALS' , you need to use that name all over the faction and in localization files and in the icons.

I do have and use the name "SEALS" (Name of new team) all over the place where the other teams name are mentioned. I don't think it is a problem with the "Kits" and "soldiers" files, because each one of those has the SEALS folder and in that is the copy/pasted team. (I renamed the first line of each of the kits file with the word "SEALS" exstead of what it use to say) The name has to be at least 4-3 letters long? That makes sense, cause all the other teams are like that.

Once I start the map that I have the team on it now shows the name of the team(SEALS) on the top left of the spawn screen. But the army still won't spawn. (The other team will)(Ahh not fair!)

The whole point of this was so that I can use more guns at the same time, but I think I have completed that by just making new kits for different maps on the same teams.

I still really think they need a tutorial somewhere about making new teams, cause it's a pretty basic skill.

The name has to be at least 4-3 letters long?
No, the name should not be longer than 3-4 letters.
I still really think they need a tutorial somewhere about making new teams, cause it's a pretty basic skill.
Who - 'they' ? And its surely not a basic skill to make a new team , most editor users out there can live very well without it. As you probably noticed making a new team involves all kinds of skills from icon making to model and texture work - far from 'basic' skills.

You're free to make a tutorial once you got it working. Oh, and there's one already made by Lawrence Brown :P

I don't think it is a problem with the "Kits" and "soldiers" files, because each one of those has the SEALS folder and in that is the copy/pasted team. (I renamed the first line of each of the kits file with the word "SEALS" exstead of what it use to say)

Well, make sure that the names in the levels' init.cons match those in your kits.