Official BF Editor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Outlawz

Heli Flight Altitude, What Controls It?

What controls the height AI will be flying helicopters at? I've got a coop map with helicopters and the bots always fly the helicopters ~50m above terrain and I'd like to make them fly higher.

What controls the height AI will be flying helicopters at?

unfortunately there's not a great deal you can change without modifying the heli itself.

one thing that WILL affect the ai flight height is the AerialHeighMap.ahm which is contained in each map - if the mapper has specified 32 or 64 when creating the map's ai, then replacing it with one using the default 16 instead will cause the bot helis to fly slightly higher due to the reduced detail in the AHM. personally i went the other way, trying to get them to hug the terrain at treetop height so i never tried this, but you might be able to use a setting of 8 instead of 16 - it's worth a try anyway, it only takes a few seconds to gen a low-res AHM

I would like to see bots fly higher and use tv guided missles

bots will NEVER use TV guided missiles, **but they can be made to use laser-guided ones by changing their fire behaviour from BBPHeliFire3d to BBPFire3d - and one side effect of this is that they tend to fly higher (much too high for my liking)

**i'm referring to bot heli pilots firing the LG missiles there, not the gunners. i just thought i'd better clarify that (some of AIX's helis have the guided missiles under pilot control, unlike the vanilla helis)

Edited by clivewil

So I got them to fly higher but are they actually shooting laser guided missiles, or do i have to replace the tv guided missile with the laser guided??

Edited by BF1942Veteran

Well, bots are always trying to fly higher that any obstruction on the map. That's why there are no usefulness from helis on city maps in bf 2142 - I've added some helis to them.