Official BF Editor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kumade

Texture Tiling In Gmax

HI, everyone.

Can someone tell me that it's possible or not to tile some texture part for polygon in gmax.

That is what i mean: i have a texture of house

house_texture.png

and i have a house model

house_model.png

And i need to tile this part of texture (with windows) to house's wall (the one with balconies). I need to tile it 4 times, 1 time for every floor.

It's possible with gmax? Because i dont see any tiling options inside UnwrapUVW modifier.

Lol, i hope so. Texture tiling in gmax works exactly as in Max - except for the uncomfortable Unwrap UVW editing window in its the same process.

Give it a try by first adding an UVMap of the 'Planar' type to one of your walls and then adding the Unwrap UVW modifier on top of it. Now when editing this UVW map in the edit window drag the vertices of this map beyond the borders of the first tile ( which corresponds to coordinates between 0 and 1, btw ) and voila , you have your first wall with texture tiling.

Have a look at Rhino's tutorial here:

http://bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=13381

Apart from the basic differences with texture handling ( no DDS in gmax, etc..) the process is exactly the same. Simply keep a TGA copy of the required textures and the rest should work as described in the tut.

Btw, you should set the Unwrap options in the UV editing window to 'Constant Update in Viewport' . This will help in dragging the uvmap to the correct position.

And another hint : Add a 'Standard' material with your TGA texture as 'Diffuse color' to the Multi-Material. By doing this the Unwrap editing window will show this texture as background automatically. If you have more than one texture to work with add these as standard materials , too. You can then select the background texture in the Unwrap window in the pop-up menu in the upper left.

Edited by mschoeldgen[Xww2]

Thanks, but i get no desired result with this technique or i'm doing something wrong:

first adding an UVMap of the 'Planar' type to one of your walls

tiling1.png

tiling2.png

then i have setted V-tiling to four, just in case :)

tiling3.png

then adding the Unwrap UVW modifier on top of it

tiling3.5.png

Now when editing this UVW map in the edit window drag the vertices of this map beyond the borders of the first tile

tiling4.png

and voila , you have your first wall with texture tiling.

tiling5.png

But i dont want to tile the rest part of texture, which is white now. I want to tile only the part with windows.

If you want to texture these parts with different textures ( tiling or not ) you need to have them as seperate polygons. You can't map a single polygon onto different textures or with different uvmaps.

Its always a good idea to keep this in mind when modelling your building . Its also a good idea to size the polygons so that the '1 pixel per cm' rule for detail and crack maps is not violated too much. E.g. a texture with a height of 256 pixels would be good to map onto a wall with an ingame height of 2.5 meters.

If you want to texture these parts with different textures ( tiling or not ) you need to have them as seperate polygons. You can't map a single polygon onto different textures or with different uvmaps.

Its always a good idea to keep this in mind when modelling your building . Its also a good idea to size the polygons so that the '1 pixel per cm' rule for detail and crack maps is not violated too much. E.g. a texture with a height of 256 pixels would be good to map onto a wall with an ingame height of 2.5 meters.

Now i understand. Thanks for advices.