Official BF Editor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rhysm_08

Removing The Colour Of A Texture, But Leaving The Detail?

I want to remove the colour from a texture yet still keep the detail from it. I want to make a woodland MEC camo. But, i can not do it because it already has the MEC desert style texture. So, I openend 3p_B_OS and removed the saturation (it was rainbow coloured lol). I can overlay my woodland camo over that because it has no pattern, just white. But it looks horrible because its not the real texture. Any tips on removing the pattern with, say, white? So that you can still have all the things like Buckles, straps, and zips and still have no pattern?

Another example is with the vodnik, I wanted to convert it into a delivery Van by making it white with a logo, BUT i got stuck because of the pattern and couldn't do it. Is there some photoshop filter or something that can remove the pattern but keep all the detail beneath?

Well, not really. Yes, you *can* do it, but it's really not worth all the effort. You'd be better off downloading some brushes (or better yet, making them yourself) and repainting the texture.

Yes, but how do you repaint the texture, if it already has a texture there? Woudln't you have to remove the original camo?

Well, just start afresh, using the old one as a guide.

The _b_os map wouldn't work all that great since it's object-space rather than tangent-space. You can keep the buttons, but the cloth will need redoing.

One cool way what i use for retexturing is this program called CrazyBump it makes a high detailed bump map out of any photo. When you have done the bump map just load it to your graphic editing software what you use and set the bump map to b&w add a new layer and start colouring and adding shadows and more detail.

Link:

http://www.crazybump.com/

Sample:

CrazyBump.jpg?t=1272492816

Edited by RoniSaysWoot

That's quite cool that it has a preview down the bottom too.

Probably the best normal mapping tool (for the control you have over it certainly) is the Xnormal photoshop plugins - you can control which algorithm it uses, which is a nice feature.

I want to remove the colour from a texture

Hmm, to me it sounds as if he's looking for the 'Desaturate' function in e.g. PhotoSh*p. I wouldn't tamper with the bump maps at all.

Well desaturate doesn't do it. Making a bump map sounds intresting, it keeps the details, and converts it to a single colour. I will test it out

Great, I wanded all the lighter colours and filled them with the MEC brown. Looped my camo (using my camo tutorial) which was suprisingly seamless, and overlay it. A couple of brightness/contrast and Hue/Saturation were made and it made an alright looking camo.

Oh wow, i desaturated the original image as a lighten blend mode and it turned out REALLY nice, at least compared to full camo and barely any details!

Heavy

mecwoodlandheavy.jpg

Light

mecwoodlandlight.jpg

Images taken using BFMeshViewer (very handy for texturing models)

I mostly use the crazybump and a graphic software called paint.NET i think its better than photoshop, i have used photoshop couple of years now but paint.NET just is kinda faster for me atleast, it recognize the .DDS files so no need for plugins and the software is free. Heres a preview of a FH2 retexture i made some days ago with that method.

retexture.jpg?t=1272540495

Yes i have used paint.net once. I wouldn't say its better than photoshop, but its better than Gimp and paint i think. Anyway, what are you methods for uncamo'ing something in paint.net? What settings do u aim for in crazy bump?

Well i set crazy bump to the detail when it does look the best,

then if the texture had a camo before i would use the clone stamp to fill the holes what the bump map does for the darker parts of the camo and to have a good looking surface on the cloth then just set a new type of camo or anything you want to use on top as a layer and start tuning it with lightings, contrast, warm, soften, sharpen etc.

You can always just google some good fabric textures to set as a filter with the camo to set more detail to the texture,

then one cool trick is to make the textures a bit better is resizing them to 1024 x 1024 ,

so ingame if you add some logo or a text on the texture you can see it a bit better + the detail depending how good work you do.

I think resizing texture before bump mapping it would be a good way to do it because crazybump does add some more detail what the resizing could take off.

For making a bit better shadows just add a new layer and set the layers opacity allot lower then select a black colour and just the brush and start to work on the shadow parts where they would look the best. But there is allot different ways to make that, another way is like this tutorial shows.

http://www.devtouch.net/photoshop/put-realistic-camouflage-pattern-on-textured-cloth/

Here's a trick for clothing. Get your camera, take a photo of a chair. Now open in photoshop (or whatever), and duplicated the layer, moving it halfway off the screen to the right (so only the left half is on the screen). Now do it again but put it out the left so the edges touch. Now clone brush the seam in the middle. Repeat for up/down, and voila, a looping texture! Set this as a pattern preset and now you can simply paint on the texture wherever you please. Easy as pie.

EDIT: And don't forget to research the type of camouflage your soldier uses! For Russia it's a good idea to do the "Flora" pattern for example. So make up the correct colours and practice painting that pattern - historical accuracy is cool! Note that they do use a few other patterns and are planning on changing from the Flora pattern to multicam - but officially at least it's still the standard camo pattern.

Edited by UberWazuSoldier

paint.NET i think its better than photoshop

Paint.NET is very nice and its price is attractive, too. Unfortunately it doesn't allow direct manipulation of the alpha channel which is mandatory for handling gloss maps. I like its capability of adding your own extensions - too bad its not possible to use this feature to do something about the alpha channel.