Official BF Editor Forums
heutenitaz

3D Max Vs Maya - The Pros And Cons Of Each Animation Software

When you get two strong market contenders the question always arises well which one is the best and what is it that makes it best? The same concept applies to almost any product and the world of animation software is no different.

both have their strong points.

3D Max is a favorite with the architectural and visualization animators, whereas Maya is the one of choice for TV and film industry. 3D Max has great conceptual modeling tools, large-scale environment creation and works well with other Autodesk product lines to name a few of the main features. Maya on the other hand has amazing character rigging, animation layering as well as motion capture handling capabilities that surpass 3d Max.

Maya has great advantages over 3D Max regarding Nurbs modeling. This is because the software has taken on a different approach in this area, which means it is easier to utilize. Nurbs are complex surfaces it would be the technique you would use to create a polygon for example. The effects that the animator can get regarding fluid are impressive with Maya. It will allow very realistic simulations of fluid and gas reaction in the real and the ocean shader it has implemented produces astounding quality for water animation. In addition with Maya, you can free hand draw and utilize a 3D paint effects that include some special effects as well done with what is called Paint Effects.

For Battlefield modelling the answer is pretty much decided. While the Maya tools were used by the original creators ( DICE ) the Max tools where made for the community by Rexman ( probably contracted by DICE ) and were constantly updated.

The Maya tools provided with the BF2Editor are hopelessly outdated , work only with Maya 6.0 and Maya 6.0.1 and were never updated.

Today there's no choice - use Max ( versions 7 to 9 are the ones best supported )

Documentation is also much better for Max here - e.g. we never got any hints on how to setup a Maya model for animation , like a soldier.

Edited by mschoeldgen[Xww2]

Didn't want to create a new thread for this,

I'm looking into Maya for animation exporting. I'm still in denial of Dice exporting manually 40+ animations for third person weapons. Thing is I have no clue on how to use maya.

C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\bf2editor\RawData\Animation\Setup

There's some .mb files there that seem very interesting when it comes to animation. Upon importing to maya I can't make much sense of it, perhaps I screwed up the tools, but it makes mention of w_Fp_ikHandle.

What I'm hoping for, is the possibility to modify the stance of the soldier, hit export, and have it applied to all 40 animations.

EDIT: Now this ought to spike some interest, upon importation of \bf2editor\RawData\Animation\Setup\3p\3p_setup.mb

mayaanims.png

IK controllers, weapon position, and more, all setup for batch 3p animation export.

Thing is I still have no clue on how to use maya, I'm hoping someone here with a little more experience than I can look into it.

Edited by Kev4000

I have this tutorial from LBrown on my mirror :

http://www.schoeldgen.de/bf1942/tools/Battlefield%202%20Modding%20Tutorial%208%20-%20Creating%20a%20New%20Team.zip

Which might help with you are looking for. But i'm afraid most of us can't answer questions regarding Maya specifics.

The kit tutorial might help, too:

http://www.schoeldgen.de/bf1942/tools/Battlefield%202%20Modding%20Tutorial%209%20-%20Creating%20New%20Kits.zip

None of these do cover animation scene setups, though.

I figured some stuff out atleast,

Type in "DICE" (case sensitive) in the lower left corner of Maya.

A nice little window pops up. You've got your standard issue Shader Editor, Model hierarchy setup wizards, LOD generators, and last comes the prize,

Weapon batch export. Automatically exports all animations based on where the grips of your weapon are.

weapontools.png

It seems that each animation is stored in an .mb file. The weapon's position and offset are merged into the .mb automatically, exporting a .baf file.

This may prove especially handy if anyone wants to create an entirely new skeleton.

Unfortunately, my knowledge on the subject ends around there. I wonder why EA did not provide any example scenes back 5 years ago when they were bragging about BF2's modability.

I wonder why EA did not provide any example scenes back 5 years ago when they were bragging about BF2's modability.

They have. At least the selected mods invited to the 'Mod Day' at EA got example files. I've packed them into a zip for you:

http://berlin.schoeldgen.de/bf1942/tutorials/Mod-Day_MayaFiles.zip

and something about cgFX for Maya:

http://berlin.schoeldgen.de/bf1942/tutorials/MayacgFX.zip

Hope that helps

Sorry, should've been clearer. I was meaning example scenes on handweapons and animations. That's the big part of the Maya tools which has been completely undocumented for the past 5 years.

I guess that unless we get a Maya script expert on the line, we're out of hope.

Don't count on it - we're waiting for a Maya guru for 4 years now. LBrown was one of the very few ppl here working with Maya and when he left there was no one to jump into that position.

If you want to finish something pressing i'm afraid you either have to give it to a Max user or try yourself to use Max.