Official BF Editor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ao1902

Reverse Geometry

Good afternoon all.

I was wondering is it posible to Revers/Invert Geometry instead of spending a whole lot of time creating it manually.

e.g. Say you wanted a new SkyDome if you were to export it straight away you have no sky, but if you were to invert the geometry youd see a sky texture.

Many modellers for other games create those 'reversed' objects by applying a scale of -100 % to a cloned mesh of the original . But this is not allowed in BF2 as the object would appear inside-out. Instead you should use mirror modifiers and select the desired axes .

' date='24 May 2010 - 05:28 PM' timestamp='1274682502' post='98303']

Many modellers for other games create those 'reversed' objects by applying a scale of -100 % to a cloned mesh of the original . But this is not allowed in BF2 as the object would appear inside-out. Instead you should use mirror modifiers and select the desired axes .

So what your saying that the engine would not handle it, because that im setting out to do.

Well, the engine does handle a model with a -100% scale - but it looks 'inside-out' which gives strange results. Give it a try once and you'll see what i mean. Recently i exported a tank for the Tactical Progression mod which was made with those negative scales and it rendered strangely indeed. BF2 doesn't by default render 2-sided ( in contrary to e.g. BF1942) and you'll see through the inverted polygons.

Cant you select all faces and press "flip"? or does g-max not have that? Nice tip with the -100 though mscho ;)

' date='25 May 2010 - 04:46 PM' timestamp='1274766408' post='98320']

Well, the engine does handle a model with a -100% scale - but it looks 'inside-out' which gives strange results. Give it a try once and you'll see what i mean. Recently i exported a tank for the Tactical Progression mod which was made with those negative scales and it rendered strangely indeed. BF2 doesn't by default render 2-sided ( in contrary to e.g. BF1942) and you'll see through the inverted polygons.

How do i actually make a -100% model?

Select your mesh. Choose the Scale Uniform Tool from the top toolbar. Find the three text fields ( X,Y,Z) in the bottom status bar ( they probably show '100' atm) . Enter a minus sign before the 100 in the first ( X ) and press <RETURN>.

Be reminded though that its bad practice. Better use mirror modifiers.