Official BF Editor Forums

Battlefield 2142 Strike At Karkand Release

Catbox

I think it's an odd choice of map. I know it's a legendary one from bf2 but I personally played it to death on bf2. I didn't think wake island ported very well, no offence intended of course but seeing what you guys can do, why not just make a fresh one? What do I know though eh?

Yes, I know, but what I mean is that DICE seems to be allowing quite a lot of people to port stuff - and especially since this one IS being included, it makes me wonder if they are moving towards more open use of the engine. Battlefield Online being free is a huge leap in that direction too, so it makes me wonder if in a few years DICE would consider making Refractor 2 free (as a few other companies have done).

Wow, from the looks of the screenshots it also looks like they are making APC's amphibious. I hope in the new patch they fix

A) Wake Island

B) The floating tree in Wake Island

C) The Tree lod distance in Wake Island (turn to pyrimad-like to soon)

i was keen to play 2142 karkand but now i see it has bf2 assets it doesnt look so appealing.

it still boggles my mind why dice havent added jets to bf2142 to make it the real battlefield experience,im sure peeps would complain and say jets ruined the gameplay,its simple for dice to partially nurf the jets for strafing and bombing,good reason why they should have left the simrad in bf2.

Assets as in like UAV, Artillery? If so, whaaat? You would think this is still 2142, not a new BF2 game mode for 2142. My version of karkand (still in major development) had all objects bf2142 even the hotel (took ages to do). But this looks like they have simply ported over most of the bf2 objects and chucked in more trees and 2142 objects. At least, i hope it will be fun.

Well, the jets do make the game completely imbalanced. I was playing AIX until about 3am last night (fricking awesome mr bigglesworth) but at one point it just got stupid. I mean really bloody stupid with the jets and choppers. Like spawn, die immediately. In reality, a lone foot soldier shouldn't be too worried about a jet if they are using stealth and guile creeping around in the treeline or something but it just isn't the case in game. It's like... ooo a hellfire missile... just for little old me? How nice. I think the idea of having the gunships is that they don't need a runway for takeoff, it's a vtol aircraft with some of the speed of a jet which can launch from the titan and land anywhere. The idea of the titan is that it is a land/water based aircraft carrier. I personally don't like the titan gamemode, I think it's retarded and the fact that you can pod out and travel so far in what is just an escape capsule just ruins the gameplay. I suppose not for those hyperactive sugar driven morons who like "high paced" gameplay. My favourite mode is double assault lines a la highway tampa but i know not everyone likes that. It seems like the most fair, strategic game mode. You'd probably have drones instead of jets looking at todays trends but where's the fun in that? Even though so many people have slated 2142, DICE went out of their way to make the gameplay balanced. I'm not afraid of walking around on foot, flying or driving because I know I have a fair chance in any case. I've often fancied getting in a jet but I do enjoy shooting gunships down with my PILUM anti-vehicle rifle when they hover ominously above you. :) A jet moves too fast to do this. I think they should have made the apcs amphibious but probably again, they nerfed it for balance. Conflict2142 did strike at karkand like, years ago(?) now. I mean ffs.

I'm kind of disappointed... I guess it's fine if you were expecting it to look the exact same way it did over a century before, but seeing those type of trees in that kind of weather is just unrealistic to me.

The map isn't very visually pleasing to me, either... I was expecting a kind of Fall at Berlin color scheme, but it looks more like super Belgrade. Oh well.

At least the map has a speeder for it. Looking forward to driving that around Karkand. Hopefully they'll make that amphibious, too, or give it the ability to hover over the water. I'm guessing in 1.51 Northern Strike is going to be available for everyone, then, unless this is a NS limited map.

Edited by Freeze